Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TG582n templates

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

TG582n templates

I've been doing some experimenting with various configurations on a spare TG582n. Now whilst I can configure it with telnet commands via the CLI and then save ( and restore ) the config, I can't get templates to work. Sad  Uploading the template via FTP shows the file in the /dl directory but when running the setup wizrd ONLY the 3 predefined PlusNet templates are shown. Basically I've been using the guide ( and templates ) from here http://forums.modem-help.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=9301&highlight=user+tpl
The question is, do user templates not work with the PlusNet branded firmware ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

6 REPLIES 6
prichardson
Grafter

Re: TG582n templates

A user.tpl is embedded into the units firmware. I am however unsure if these will work, though I will have a stab at this shortly.
Can you confirm which of the templates you are trying (give the full filename)?
Can you confirm you are changing it to user.tpl before uploading it to the device (and not uploading an renaming)?
Have you factory reset the unit following uploading the file?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Phil,
Thanks for the quick reply.
I was using the MH_EXP_ap_5xx-7xx.tpl template ( modified slightly to change the default LAN IP subnet to 192.168.100.x ) as a trial. Its a fairly basic router configuration using LAN port 4 as a WAN port (DHCP).
Yes, I changed it to user.tpl before uploading.
I assumed that factory resetting would delete everything from the  /dl directory and so No, I haven't tried that. I will if you think that doesn't happen...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

prichardson
Grafter

Factory reset should only remove the user.ini file and trigger a reboot. The lack of this file in the flash at power on means a factory config is built.
For example a, an isp.def file would not be removed from this directory on factory reset. This file is used for populating the defaults on this event.
I will have a look over this shortly as will need to find another unit for testing (all of the ones of our test pod are currently in use for specific purposes right now).
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I'll give the factory reset a go this weekend then. I suppose its possible that it looks for templates only on factory reset.
I realised it deleted the user.ini but mistakely assumed it deleted everything Embarrassed

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Phil,
I tried a factory reset and no joy with the template I'm afraid, the wizard still only gives the three built-in options. You are correct though, that a factory reset does not delete the user.tpl file.

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

I hjave very little idea if this person's problem on another forum is similar, but i've posted just in case.
[Moderator's note by Jim (Oldjim)  link fixed ]
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.