Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TG582n config not usable from Internet Explorer 10

vultura
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: TG582n config not usable from Internet Explorer 10

You have a MAPS version of Windows8, yet don't seem to be able to solve a relatively problem yourself and you should know better than to be running only IE to access the web.
Has anyone seen my signature, it's gone missing.
markv
Rising Star

Quote from: vultura
You have a MAPS version of Windows8, yet don't seem to be able to solve a relatively problem yourself and you should know better than to be running only IE to access the web.

How do you define ' a relatively problem'?
I laid out a problem, admitted where/when I had made mistakes (have you ever done that?); end of story. It was not a simple problem.
vultura
Rising Star

Quote from: markv
How do you define ' a relatively problem'?
I laid out a problem, admitted where/when I had made mistakes (have you ever done that?); end of story.

Of course that should have said  "relatively simple problem", a simple problem solving step to start diagnosis would have been to try a an alternate browser or indeed an alternate machine. 
You are running a not yet released OS, problems are to be expected with anything new.  History has shown that newly released Microsoft products have issues, so encountering them should be expected.
Your attitude generally would put members off from helping you, the suggestions made here were constructive, the fact you don't see them that way is your problem.
As for me yes I have made mistakes often in my 40 odd years of life and admitted them, then I move onwards and upwards.
tstaddon
Rising Star

I've got a rough idea this could be down to a recent "Patch Tuesday" from Microsoft. I have a bunch of admin consoles (web links) which have stopped working in Internet Explorer 9 and above, on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2012. The common issues are related to:
1. Any site that has the URL https://<server>:<portnumber>
2. Any site that has self-signed certificates (like a lot of Linux systems have out-of-the-box)
Here's some evidence: http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/266718-interesting-problem-between-ie-and-webmin-since-10-09-2...
I'd advance the viewpoint that since Microsoft have possibly crippled their own browser when talking to non-Microsoft sites that don't have expensive professionally issued validated enterprise SSL certificates for encryption (or a Microsoft Certificate Services infrastructure in-house), there's nothing "constructive" about sticking with the option of fixing Internet Explorer.
BTW: Although Firefox is pretty good; Pale Moon is a lot better.
taras
Grafter

The 582n doesn't
1. Any site that has the URL https://<server>:<portnumber>
2. Any site that has self-signed certificates (like a lot of Linux systems have out-of-the-box)

The only weird thing is to does do is create its own javascript md5 hash and slightly ie incompatible form data
markv
Rising Star

I think the underlying problem was javascript not running, presumably being blocked by a security setting, possibly one I had set. But I had suspected that early on and tried to remove any such restriction.
Perhaps another browser or machine was the right approach but my view was that it should work on THIS machine with THIS browser. And eventually it did.
Don't want to alienate the community I've just chosen to join, so will try to be more open-minded in future!
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I'm sure you haven't alienated anyone, you were perhaps unlucky to catch a real sarky response to your first post  Lips_are_sealed  Whilst there may be quite a few IE users around here, there are probably a lot more that dislike it (intensely.. some, just because it is M$!). It often a good idea to try an "alternate" to whatever it is that isn't working as it should give you a clearer indication of where a problem may lie.
I use FF virtually all the time, but there will be instances where I resort to IE because something doesn't work right - usually when a web page has been badly written and only displays correctly in IE (and before they all rush to tell me about the FF add-on, i know, I have used it!).
Anyway,enough of this, as no-one has managed it to date ..... Welcome to the Forum, I'm sure in general you will find it very informative, useful and generally friendly, but there's nowt wrong with a bit of banter! - I have a feeling I will be generating some in another thread later - all in good fun of course Wink
quelquod
Pro

Quote from: Anotherone
Whilst there may be quite a few IE users around here, there are probably a lot more that dislike it (intensely.. some, just because it is M$!).

OT but a bit of a try-on as I'm sure that the vast majority of PN users (and this site too) are PC+M$+IE. Whether they like it is certainly debatable but it's guaranteed to be the significant majority. I only use FF if I come to a site which gives IE problems - technical superiority isn't a driver for most people ;o)
Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!
Anotherone
Champion

You may well be right about the vast majority of PN users Tongue  but I did say " around here"  Wink
Quote from: quelquod
I only use FF if I come to a site which gives IE problems - technical superiority isn't a driver for most people ;o)

Oh dear  Sad
taras
Grafter

Can I be the 2nd to welcome you to the forums.
As for the argument that occurred in here, my own personal feeling people took things the worng way. you rightly expected the 582 work in ie10 and it didn't work. Others went head first and said use ff.
For some personally and professionally the damage that ie6 did to the net has caused some resentment ..
But at the end of the day working out your problem was more important Smiley
vultura
Rising Star

Quote from: markv
Perhaps another browser or machine was the right approach but my view was that it should work on THIS machine with THIS browser. And eventually it did.
Don't want to alienate the community I've just chosen to join, so will try to be more open-minded in future!

For most users trying a different browser would be the best and easiest option to get them working in shortest time.
To stick with something that isn't working is likely to take more time and will probably just end being frustrating.  I tip my hat to you for sticking with it.
Stick around, you can answer all the Win8/IE10 queries Wink
quelquod
Pro

You may well be right about the vast majority of PN users Tongue  but I did say " around here"  Wink

so you did - and I said:
Quote from: quelquod
(and this site too)

(IMHO) FF trades too much on IE's ancient problems and while it is a fine browser (though it has its own problems) IE is too - and with M$ naturally better integrated.
A poll maybe?  Wink
Anotherone
Champion

"naturally better integrated"  Huh
Poll - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,104898.0.html
I think you lost that one  Grin
quelquod
Pro

I think you lost that one  Grin

Oh dear!  Embarrassed
markv
Rising Star

The last laugh is against me, because it stopped working again.  Sad
Don't think I changed anything. One day I could access the router home page (after doing a full reset) and the next I couldn't. Another reset didn't help. Even, Remove Windows Feature/Add WIndows Feature didn't help.
Debug console shows:
HTML1202: http://192.168.1.254/ is running in Compatibility View because 'Display intranet sites in Compatibility View' is checked.
SCRIPT1004: Expected ';'
util.js, line 1123 character 2
SCRIPT5007: The value of the property 'getLanguageDirection' is null or undefined, not a Function object
192.168.1.254, line 9 character 34
SCRIPT5007: The value of the property 'writeDisplaySettings' is null or undefined, not a Function object
192.168.1.254, line 32 character 8
[snip]
FWIW, http://192.168.1.254/util.js lines around 1123 read (in the Debug console):
function fv_checkSet(form) {
  var cnt = 0;
  var str = new String(this.set);
  var setTags = str.split(",");
  for (var i=0; i<setTags.length; i++)
  {
    var setEl = fv_findformelem(setTags,form);
    if (!setEl) return;
    cnt += this.checkReq(setEl,form);
    this
2c0c
.err=null;
  }
  if ((cnt==setTags.length)||(cnt==0))
    this.err=null;
  else
    this.err='Please fill in all fields or none at all.';
}
fv.prototype.checkSet=fv_checkSet;
The 2c0c line looks a bit strange.
But... on 2 other W8/IE10 PCs on the home LAN I could always, and still can, access the same page. So it is something peculiar on my main work PC.
No matter; if I want to change a setting, I'll use one of the other PC's. I know you think I'm mad not to install FF, but I've long held the view that for every application you install, the PC gets slightly less stable. So I have a fear and loathing of installing anything I don't HAVE to. If 99.9% of pages I view work, I'm prepared to put up with a bit of inconvenience to access the other 0.1% rather than install a major new app.
Not asking for a solution because I have an easy work-around, just though you may be amused to hear it had gone belly-up again (but only on 1 out of 3 PCs).