cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TG582n config not usable from Internet Explorer 10

markv
Rising Star

TG582n config not usable from Internet Explorer 10

I switched from BT ADSL2+ to PlusNet Fibre today. All very smooth.
When I try to access the router config page, several problems, which seem to be Windows 8/Internet Explorer 10 related.
Firstly, after entering admin/[myPassword] it takes around 90 seconds before the router homepage is displayed. If I do the same on XP or Windows 7, I get the same page in a couple of seconds.
More importantly, none of the links on the 'Technicolor Gateway Homepage' work. Clicking on them has no effect. Again, if I do the same on an XP or Win7 PC, the links work as expected.
I wondered if it was a java issue as I didn't have a JRE installed on the Win8 box, but I don't have it installed on the XP or Win7 boxes either, and they work fine. I did try installing JRE both 32b and 64b, but still get a slow login and no links work.
Any suggestions gratefully received.
Mark
29 REPLIES 29
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: TG582n config not usable from Internet Explorer 10

Install firefox or chrome, and get rid of IE.
vultura
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

+1 to using firefox.
Has anyone seen my signature, it's gone missing.
markv
Rising Star

Should have should have said,  Any constructive suggestions gratefully received 🙂
I'm not going to change my browser, or my o/s; I just want help on how to get the router config page to work with my current setup. Hadn't realised it was necessary to spell out something so obvious when asking a question, but I am a newbie.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

It is not a suggestion that you change your OS. IE is a known PROBLEM AREA. Most people will tell you to use Firefox or Chrome for better/safer browsing.
Just downloading and installing either will allow you to view the pages FAST.
custos
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

I agree, it will only take a few minutes to download and install an alternative browser and at least it will rule IE out of the equation.
markv
Rising Star

I think you're missing the point. IE9 works perfectly on the router page under XP and Win7. IE10 under Win8 doesn't.
As stated, I'm not, under any circumstances, going to change my browser so please don't tell me to. If you posted a problem encountered under Linux/firefox, I doubt you would welcome a response that told you to switch to a different browser!
I am simply asking for help with getting the router page working with W8/IE10. That must be possible.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

If I had a problem that was browser SPECIFIC then YES I would welcome a suggestion to try a different browser, Why are you so reluctant to try another?
I have tried Chrome on several occasions and even alternative browsers but keep returning to FF.
You stated that you had issues with IE I merely suggested you try an alternative but YOU are being very dismissive, SO NO MORE INPUT FROM ME HELP YOURSELF !. (IF you can)
Anotherone
Champion

Oops.
Well I haven't got W8 or IE10, so I can't help!
CX
Grafter

Sorry, I don't have IE10 or a TG582n but...
Is "Compatibility View" enabled in IE10? IE8 (and IE9?) used to automatically enable this for local/intranet addresses, unless certain headers were set on the pages (or it can be disabled globally in the browser).
markv
Rising Star

I do not have issues with IE (IE9 works fine), I have issues with W8/IE10 and the router home page. That is a relatively new combination may not have been tested on the PlusNet router. Most likely it is an IE setting that is stopping things working.
Compatibility View - good thought but unfortunately that didn't make any difference.
taras
Grafter

I will try my consumer preview of w8 in a second ..
are using the metro ie 10 or the normal one ?
taras
Grafter

The 8400 build was a clean one and ie 10 was setup with its default settings
i'm on a demo firmware of 10.02b (which shouldn't matter). but both the metro ui ie 10 and normal one works .
I would suggest you try resetting your ie defaults .
markv
Rising Star

Many thanks taras. So it looks like it's my environment rather than a general W8/IE10 issue.
Strange.
I'll throw a clean (MAPS) Win8 onto a spare PC and see how that pans out...
p.s. I was running from Desktop, not 'Metro'
markv
Rising Star

[quite a while later...]
Clean install of W8Ent demo worked fine with the router home page.
Back to my every-day PC W8Pro and after much faffing I did a reset to defaults on IE10 and that got it working.
Many, many thanks taras for pointing me in the right direction..
I've got a sneaking suspicion I may have set some over-zealous security settings but I couldn't spot them to un-set.
1 box incautiously ticked, or unticked... many hours wasted.