cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TG582n changing interface prompts

Razer
Grafter

TG582n changing interface prompts

Is it possible to disable the confirmatory prompts that are popped up when enabling/disabling both the 'Game Mode' and the 'Ping Responder' in the web interface?
29 REPLIES 29
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: TG582n changing interface prompts

Hi there,
Afraid there isn't. I'm guessing that's not something you'd need to do too often though?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Razer
Grafter

Hi Adam,
Oh Sad
Yes, I am needing to change both regularly - like several times a day as I switch between 'opened up' OS and secured OS. It's getting on my nerves having to change the settings (these and others) over and over and was just looking for a way to at least cut out these annoying prompts. I wish I could have an 'on/off' script for all the settings I change that I could just click with one click and it's all done.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Can't you backup the router config in both modes and then load the appropriate one?
Alternatively, use a different router?
Razer
Grafter

It's been a while since I edited a router config file. The last time, indeed the only time I've done it, I used an FTP program to copy the config, edit and reupload. As I recall, it requires a reboot of the router when the config file is changed. Unless you'd like to correct me (or advise me if there is a simpler way to change the config files over - which I'd appreciate).
EDITED to add, I had been wondering if it was possible change the config file to remove the prompts in the first place.
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: Razer
I wish I could have an 'on/off' script for all the settings I change that I could just click with one click and it's all done.

Don't know the 582n but...
As you make your changes with the GUI it should be possible to make the changes via telnet. With the 585 I have used a system of saving all the command lines in a text file and by pasting a copy of the file content into the telnet session (the lines get processed in sequence) perform the required changes. Not exactly a true "script", but was reasonably effective for re-configuring after a factory reset without needing a reboot.
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
Razer
Grafter

Sounds interesting. I've just become familiar with telnetting into the router again (have been trying out truly disabling the firewall). It's good to know that I could possibly paste a sequence of commands after logging in via telnet. It would be so much easier. I'll just have to find the commands ...
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I've had a go at running tst10.exe (telnet scripting tool) in a windows batch file and got this to telnet into the router and run commands. Smiley
Output goes to a file.
David
PeeGee
Pro

Just in case:-
If you are using Linux, then the combination of "expect" and "autoexpect" (see: http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/3065 ) will run and create (from a manual session) scripts respectively.  Wink
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Razer
Grafter

I'm on Windows XP, PG.
I've found a pdf of, seemingly, all the commands for the router. Well, I think it's the right one:
From this page I find CLI Reference Guide TG585n R8.2.1 (PDF, 2.49M - 10/23/2008).
A brief look over it and I'm just lost. I have no idea what commands I want. I'll have to have a trawl through and see if I can figure out what I need. :s
Quote from: spraxyt
I've had a go at running tst10.exe (telnet scripting tool) in a windows batch file and got this to telnet into the router and run commands. Smiley
Output goes to a file.

A batch file was my first thought, but that would require storing the password to telnet into the router, so I discounted it. I won't store any passwords in plaintext files on my unsecured OS - and I want to have any batch or script file stored on that OS because I only want to open things up on that OS and closed up again before switching to the secured OS.
PeeGee
Pro

I use the R7.4 reference, which seems to work fine with my 585v7 and 8.x firmware. One way to find the changes (and identify the commands) is to save a configuration file for each of the configurations you want and perform a file comparison (easy under linux - built into Dolphin file manager). The commands are very similar to the changed lines :-
For example:
in section [ dnss.ini ]
host add name=dsldevice addr=0.0.0.0 ttl=1200
would be set with
dns server host add name=dsldevice addr=0.0.0.0 ttl=1200
Just one possible way to go  Smiley
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Razer, that CLI guide is not the right one, this is what you need for the 582n CLI guide
Apart from the differences in some of the commands, as you've remarked, the CLI guides don't tell you how to use the commands  Angry
Try looking here for some helpful info. I've seen the guy posting here in some 582n threads as well recently  Smiley
This page has some limited information
HTH a bit. I'm struggling with trying to configure this pig as well  Roll_eyes
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

As others have mentioned, telnet scripting is the way to go.
You could have two short cuts on the desktop, one to enable and the other to disable these features.
This will help with creating the telnet script.
http://npr.me.uk/scripting.html
These are the commands to enable / disable "reply to ping"
http://npr.me.uk/telnet.html#ping
If you need help with the commands to enable / disable game mode, then please post the result from this telnet command taken while game mode is enabled.
connection bindlist
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

I've created a couple of rough and ready telnet script files to enable and disable "reply to ping" and "game mode" if you wish to try it.
Just extract the contends of EnabledDisabled.zip ( 5 files) to a folder on a windows machine.
Edit the two text file to change "MYPASSWORD" to your routers password.
Run enable.bat or disable.bat to perform the required action, create a shortcut on the desktop if required.
A text window will open showing the commands sent to the router, once satisfied every thing is ok and there's no error messages, this can be disabled in the bat files.
Download the script here:
http://npr.me.uk/telnet/EnableDisable.zip
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

@npr
Good work taking the time to do that! Smiley
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team