cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TG582n cannot find new Wireless D-link DCS-2120 ip camera? *SOLVED*

Davidson1234
Dabbler

TG582n cannot find new Wireless D-link DCS-2120 ip camera? *SOLVED*

Hi all. I seem to be having a problem with my TG582n router that I received from Plusnet in terms of connected devices. To cut a long story short, I'm trying to get a couple of wireless ip cctv cameras set up on my home wireless network. I initially set up both cameras using ethernet cables connected directly to the router and the cameras were assigned IP addresses and using a browser I can see their live feeds perfectly and go into all the settings and functions of the cameras. Great. Next I wanted to use them wirelessly, however I have spent days now trying to get the router to see them as wireless devices. When I remove the ethernet cable, the live feed obviously stops, I reboot the camera, but it fails to connect to my wireless network.
The strange thing is that the router config using my browser shows that devices are added automatically upon using the correct SSID and key, which are both entered correctly in the cameras setup. I'm using WPA-PSK which is set on the router and also the camera software. As I say, the wired connection to the cameras works perfectly, but this isn’t convenient as I want the cameras to work in a different room to the router. I'm aware I could just cut my losses and use some homeplugs and ethernet cables etc but seeing as the cameras are wireless this would be much much easier.
I've checked that uPnP is enabled on the router and the camera which it is.
Oddly, the router shows devices are connected and Active even when they are not - for example, if i connect to the wireless network with my laptop, it appears in the list of devices in the router and shows as Active and has a small green tick next to the icon. When I shut the laptop down, and refresh the router browser, it still shows it as connected and Active even after several refreshes. I'm wondering if this is why the router is not seeing the wireless cameras as it still thinks they are connected by ethernet even after unplugging them cables from the camera and router and rebooting the router. That’s the only thing I can think of and wondering if perhaps a firmware update to the router may help sort this out? I don't have another router to try but am almost certain the router is the problem with these cameras not working wirelessly.
Can anyone shed any light who maybe has used one of these routers if the same happens when you disconnect wired or wireless devices, does it still show them in the list as Active with a green tick?
Any help appreciated
Thanks
Scott
21 REPLIES 21
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: TG582n Still shows devices as connected when they are not?

I'm wondering if this is why the router is not seeing the wireless cameras as it still thinks they are connected by ethernet even after unplugging them cables from the camera and router and rebooting the router
I would have expected the router to see a wireless connection as a different device since the wireless NI (network interface) would have a different MAC address to the wired interface. You can test that with the laptop, the first connection will show its network name and then the other will probably show 'Unknown' but with a different MAC address.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Davidson1234
Dabbler

Hi thanks for the reply. Sorry, yes that is the case - the laptop has 2 different mac addresses, one for the wired connection and one for the wireless. These both show up in the router correctly.
I've opened up the camera and can see the wireless card inside, looks very much like a laptop mini-PCI wireless card with a small gold plated connector for the antenna. There is a different mac address printed on teh label on this card, compared to the one on the back of the camera where the serial numbers are. So I would expect this second wireless 'device' to show up as a seperate device to teh camera when it's wired, but it doesn't. The camera doesnt seem to find the network and join it.
I see it is possible to add a device by it's mac address but only using telnet, would this be correct? Is it worth trying to add it manually like this and see if that gets around the problem? I've reseated the wireless card inside one of the camera's just to make sure it's fixed in properly and it is. All the settings check out on the router and the camera so I can't see for the life of me what is preventing the camera from connecting to the wireless network. Any ideas?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I suspect the camera isn't authenticating correctly with the router. A couple of things to try:-
You say the camera(s) are WPA, by default the TG582n will be WPA + WPA2 ,  try setting the TG582 to WPA only.
By default the SSID on the TG582 is something like PlusNetWIreless_xxxxx , try changing it to something simpler say 8 characters and just alphanumeric.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Davidson1234
Dabbler

Hi MisterW, that's what it sounds like. I've tried changing the standard SSID to a shorter one now of 8 characters, unfortunately that didn't make any difference. I've cheked in the camera setup and the security options are either WEP or WPA-PSK. In the router, I can only select 2 options, either the default WPA+WPA2, or WPA2. There doesnt appear to be an option for WPA? I'd rather not use WEP but might give that a try instead in case you can think of anything else I could try? Thanks, Scott
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Re: TG582n cannot find new Wireless D-link DCS-2120 ip camera?

In the router, I can only select 2 options, either the default WPA+WPA2, or WPA2.
Strange, I checked on mine before I posted and I can select WPA only. I'll double check again this evening.
Another possibility, Is the camera wireless N or is it B/G only ? If it's B/G only then disabling wireless N on the router may help, although it will make any other wireless devices potentailly slower. I'm not sure if you can disable wireless N from the router GUI , you may have to use the Telnet CLI interface as described here http://npr.me.uk/telnet.html ( disabling wireless N is about 1/2 way down the page )

Davidson1234
Dabbler

Hi MisterW
Thanks again for your reply. Yes I've double checked and there is definitely no WPA setting on my router via GUI and doesn't appear to be one that you can set manually with CLI for example. My firmware is 8.4.4.J if this makes any difference - perhaps an older/newer  firmware would have the option of WPA? The cameras are 802.11g and funnily enough I have tried as you suggested disabling the n feature using CLI but this didn’t make any difference either, so I set it back to b/g/n.
One interesting thing I have discovered however is that by making my android smartphone a wi-fi hotspot, setting the SSID in my phone and setting the same SSID in the camera setup I have managed to get the camera to connect to my phones wi-fi network. At first I tried WPA2 on my phone and set up the password and the same password on the camera, but this didn’t work. As the only other option on my phone was to use 'None' for security, I selected this and again the same in the camera setup, and this finally worked.
So at least I know that the cameras wireless card/interface actually works correctly after all, it's something to do with security encryption. Obviously I'm not going to run my router with no encryption, so if I can't find a way round this with my current router by some setting or firmware change, then I'm going to have to look for a better router that has more options perhaps, but I don't really know what options I need. The standard WPA+WPA2 setting on the router 'should' allow WPA but the camera cannot authenticate when set to this.
Any help appreciated as always
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

My firmware is 8.4.4.J if this makes any difference - perhaps an older/newer  firmware would have the option of WPA?
That could be it, I'm running 10.2.5.2 but that's primarily a FTTC f/w ( but with an ADSL option I believe ). Mine's definitely got an option for WPA only in the 'Security Mode' dropdown box on the wireless configure screen.
You might try and see if WPA can be configured via the telnet cli
If you try the command
wireless mssid iflist
it should list something starting 'ssid 0/0'
Assuming it does then try
wireless mssid config ssid_id = 0 WPAPSKversion = WPA

Lets see if that works...
I'm not sure I can recommend going to 10.2.5.2 since I'm not sure if anyone has actually used this for ADSL.
The latest true ADSL firmware is 10.2.2.B from here http://products.plus-payh.co.uk/firmware/

Davidson1234
Dabbler

Hi again, thanks for your reply. OK I've given the telnet command a go but all I am getting is 'unknown command' so I'm guessing that isn't possible (unless i'm putting something in wrong, but have double checked and followed that exact command listed). I do get the ssid 0/0 and then the name of my SSID, then further along that line I see WPA-PSK, but the command to change it is where I get 'unknown command'.
If that's not going to work then I think I'm happy to give the firmware flash a go. Looking at that link, the firmware I 'think' I would need would be as you say 10.2.2.B - however as I do not have a USB port on my router, how do I go about updating the firmware? Is it a case of ethernet cable from my PC to the router and then run the update wizard? in that link, sorry if it's a silly question, but I'm not sure what the PS bit means next to TG582n-PS?
Thanks
Scott
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

but the command to change it is where I get 'unknown command'.
Looks like 8.4.4.J doesn't have the option to change it then.
how do I go about updating the firmware?
There is a link 'how to use the update tool' on the firmware download page I linked to but basically you're correct its a case of ethernet cable from your PC to the router and then run the update tool. There is also a link to download the update tool. Ignore the fact that it refers to a TG585, the tool and procedure is the same for the TG585n.
but I'm not sure what the PS bit means next to TG582n-PS?
I beleive it is the model no for the unit without a USB port.

Davidson1234
Dabbler

OK I've managed to successfully update the firmware on the router to 10.2.2.B  Smiley That all went nice and easy thankfully!
I can see a lot of additional info and features compared to the 8.4.4.J I was running before. As for the security I now have various options to choose from - WEP 64bit, WEP 128bit, WPA2-PSK, WPA-PSK + WPA2-PSK, WPA, WPA2, WPA + WPA2!!!
Sounds ridiculous but I was hoping for just WPA-PSK on it's own but this options isn't available. If I select just WPA, i'm asked to fill in WPA Radius IP, Radius port as well as the key, so that's no good as I've no idea about the radius server side of things. Oh well, I'll try with WPA-PSK + WPA2-PSK which is what I was using on the old firmware and just see if the new firmware allows the camera's to get recognised and report back in case anyone is following this or has the same problem in future.
Scott
Davidson1234
Dabbler

Nope, still not working Sad It's definitely a security thing, I think I do need the option of WPA-PSK in order for this to work, even though the setting WPA-PSK + WPA2-PSK is supposed to allow BOTH settings to be used. I have noticed that when connected by ethernet, the device shows up in the LAN device list with a green tick, but after disconnecting the device and powering off and waiting then refreshing the router, it still shows as connected?? Just seems odd as everything else loses the green tick when you disconnect it and refresh the routers browser page. I wondered if this is something to do with the problem so I deleted the device from the LAN device list after disconnecting it, then powered up the camera without the ethernet cable, but it still doesn't get added to the wireless network.
It's like the camera just isn't compatible with this router even with the correct wireless credentials. So frustrating and I hate to be beaten but I think I may have to concede unless anyone can suggest anything else to try?Huh
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Have you tried the
wireless mssid config ssid_id = 0 WPAPSKversion = WPA
on this version of the firmware ?

Davidson1234
Dabbler

This is getting stranger Huh The router doesn't seem to be retaining settings that I have saved since updating the firmware (think I've seen some posts on this elsewhere so will take a look) however I just saw that uPnP wasn't enabled and Extended security was enabled. I enabled uPnP and disabled the extended security, and all of a sudden the ipcamera device displayed in my list of connected wireless devices!? I thought 'great' that must be it, however at this point, the camera was disconnected from the router and powered off, yet it shows as active with a green tick in the wireless devices list. Problem is, even when I boot the camera up wirelessly it still fails to find the wireless network. The mac address of the camera in the 'wireless devices' list is that of the ethernet connection of the camera, and not the mac address of the wireless card. So this device is completely wrong in the wlan list. What on earth's going on with the router, I think this is what happened once even on the old firmware when I saw the camera appear in the wlan device list briefly which must have also been false.
Has anyone else experienced issues with the device lists on this router, could well be related to the issue as something isn't quite right?
Davidson1234
Dabbler

Hi, yeah I've just tried the telnet command on this firmware but i'm still getting the unknown command returned. Just to check, there should be a space between  'id' and the equals sign, then after the equals sign and then the number zero to match the ssid 0/0 (zero slash zero) is that right?