cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TG582n and USB

RichardWest
Grafter

Re: TG582n and USB

It still advertises over the network that it has the USB abilities. My NMT sees it and can see the directories.  Embarrassed
barberriley
Dabbler

Drives me crazy when you have a device with exactly the same model number but different facilities.
You get a router expecting a USB port, after all it is a 582n and technicolor's website says with a USB port and can fall back to 3G. When it arrives it ain't got one since PlusNet has a modified version, but still the same model number.
Not just PlusNet, I was looking at hard drives today and apart from saying 1Tb there was no further information, not even a model number.
Or an extension hedge trimmer, most of the adverts do not say how long the extension is. Surely the most basic of information required.
OK, rant over!
quelquod
Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: barberriley
You get a router expecting a USB port, after all it is a 582n and technicolor's website says with a USB port ...

Yes you are right and IMHO it is unfair for PN to mark it as a TG582n when it is not. It is a PN special based on a TG582n.
If it was me I'd be complaining a lot more vocally. It doesn't even matter if PN do not advertise a USB connection. If it is labelled as a TG582n then it should meet the published specification.
Not that it helps you at all but I've found the USB port to be quite handy as I've plugged in a small drive and printer which is available to laptop etc. without having to wander around making sure different things are switched on as the router is on 24/7 of course.
Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

It *is* a 582n though. I've said earlier in the thread that we'll try to make it clearer that it doesn't have a USB port:
I'll see if we can make that clearer on our support pages, probably by adding a section into the hardware archive for the model with USB saying that this is no longer available.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
quelquod
Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Chris
It *is* a 582n though. I've said earlier in the thread that we'll try to make it clearer that it doesn't have a USB port:

The datasheet for the Technicolor TG582n is here http://www.technicolor.com/uploads/associated_materials/ds_technicolor_tg582n.pdf and it specifies a USB2 port. Perhaps if yours don't have one you should be returning them all as not meeting specification?  Wink
More seriously, you can't have a device with the same model number as another which has different facilities - perhaps PN should call theirs a TG582pn. Since it is a different device should it not need requalification, CE testing etc. etc?  Grin
Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!
LimaTango
Hooked

Thomson TG582n s/n CP1214****K received on 10 August 2012 does have a USB port on the rear left side.
Seems there are two versions of the same product - that's Thomson for you, just like past history.
Re-branding as Technicolor doesn't change anything, apart from making them more ridiculous than ever before in their long sad history of mismanagement and unreliable products.
Also, the documentation provided is totally useless, no discussion about the USB Port, nor the use of WPS. How come a small ISP in New Zealand can provide full docs, but not PlusNet. Link to file is below ...
http://telecom.custhelp.com/ci/fattach/get/6243041/1339647993/redirect/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xMzQ...
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

The model we are shipping is officially at TG582n-ps.  I'm getting Chris to ensure we update the relevant pages on the website and provide an explanatory page for the differences.
What else do you want us to put up?  I'm happy for us to include any "official" documentation that you guys think is relevant, useful and interesting on the website.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
LimaTango
Hooked

My recently received 'technicolor' TG582n has the nomenclature 'Plusnet' right after the model number. This unit has a USB port of the rear left side.
What was it that you want  Chris to update - the fact that the Plusnet version has a USB port (per standard Thomson specs) ?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

The 582n we're sending out for Fibre still has a USB port.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
barberriley
Dabbler

Is there any chance of getting mine changed for a router with the USB port?
BRABUS
Grafter

Why are just the fibre routers being sent out with a USB port?