cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TG582n and USB

barberriley
Dabbler

TG582n and USB

I've just got my new TG582n router, sounds great with the fall back to 3G and/or using a hard drive on the router.
But where is the USB socket?
Unless I'm going mad I do not have a USB socket on the router.
25 REPLIES 25
BRABUS
Grafter

Re: TG582n and USB

It is on the side, not on the rear as you would expect.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

The routers we're sending out don't have a USB port on them now.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
BRABUS
Grafter

I stand corrected.

Why no USB port now?  They are quite useful.
barberriley
Dabbler

That was why I went for the router - the USB port seemed very advantageous.
Not sure what to do now.
Chris
Legend

We don't say that it has a USB port on our website, did you find the information about this from somewhere else?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
barberriley
Dabbler

When I was offered the router I looked up the specs and everywhere said it had the USB port - including, if I recall correctly, some of the posting on this community.
Chris
Legend

It's a custom model of the 582n that we use, hence no USB. I'll see if we can make that clearer on our support pages, probably by adding a section into the hardware archive for the model with USB saying that this is no longer available.
BRABUS
Grafter

My 582n was from Plus Net and that has a USB on it Smiley  In fact it wasn't until someone on here mentioned the USB port that I looked for it on the side.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

The units we were trialing before we completed the contract for them had USB ports.  Our main supply doesn't.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
BRABUS
Grafter

Cool, that makes sense Smiley
quelquod
Pro
Fixes: 1

I got mine a couple of weeks ago. It does have a usb socket (don't know if it works mind you  Wink ).
(It'll likely be in the cupboard as soon as I decide what one to go for though. I have a fairly complex network and without a decent web interface it's just too difficult to be bothered with.)
Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!
BRABUS
Grafter

I wonder if this router is like many that manufacturers make.  They take a hardware feature away as part of a contract deal on price and rather than make a completely new type of motherboard (which is costly to do) they may be using the same one and it just has a different plastic case that covers the USB port?

Anyone got a new non USB 582n router that is brave enough to take the case off to have a look Smiley
mattturner
Grafter

Hi Brabus,
You are correct, it is the exact same board, we've just removed the components that support the USB port. The firmware has been changed so that it doesn't expect the port to be available.
The pads still exist on the board, they're just not populated with components. You'd be surprised how many products are like this, you find this everywhere, if you look closely at the TG582n board you'll see some empty pads where a serial port header can be soldered on (used during testing or if we need to do some crazy root cause analysis of a problem if the network interfaces are down).
If you look at the left side of the case you'll see the molding lines where we've changed the design of the side panel, there are two join lines running from the top to the bottom at the front and back of the side panel, this part of the mold needed to be changed. We added extra holes, removed the hole for the USB slot and removed the USB logo.
Matt
BRABUS
Grafter

It is a shame the components are missing as well or a sneaky but of firmware and people would have had some extra functionality.
To be honest I haven't used mine.  Does it allow for usb sticks or USB hard drives to be connected or just 3G sticks?  Just curious Smiley

People may decide to buy their own router with the USB present if it gives something they want.