cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TG582n PPTP & Bridge Mode

Waggers

TG582n PPTP & Bridge Mode

I've recently switched from BE Internet to Plusnet's Fibre and both ISP's supply a Technicolor TG582n router.
I need to establish a VPN from my home and using my old BE box I put the modem into Bridge Mode and let my Netgear Prosafe FVS338 take care of the VPN.  Looking at the PlusNet box there doesn't seem to be a way to switch to Bridge Mode.
I then looked at Plan 'B' which was to create a software VPN from my Windows PC to the router in the office.  However, the PlusNet box doesn't seem to allpw PPTP traffic through.
I've found a few Bridge Mode .ini files on the web for the TG582n from other ISP's but I'm a bit worried about flashing a PlusNet box with someone else's code.
I've also tried using the CLI to allow PPTP through (again using information from another ISP's forum) but although the box appears to accept the instructions I still don't have PPTP.
So, onto my questions.....
1. Is there any particular reason the PlusNet has locked down this router so tightly?
2. Has anyone managed to open up the TG582n to allow Bridge Mode or PPTP?
3. Failing that, can anyone recomment a replacement router that will allow Bridge Mode to a Netgear FVS338?
Many thanks.
Richard
10 REPLIES 10
mattturner
Grafter

Re: TG582n PPTP & Bridge Mode

Hi Richard,
We don't intentionally lock down the router, nothing is disabled and you're welcome to re-flash it with any firmware you can find 🙂
The instructions given in this post should add an option to the router setup wizard to enable you to use the router as an ADSL modem, you'll need to plug the wan interface of your Netgear into port 4. The instructions are for a TG585v8, but the file should work fine on a TG582n. A factory reset will put it back to defaults if anything goes wrong!
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,95646.msg805346.html#msg805346
Let me know how you get on.
Matt
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Why not just forget about the TG582 completely. Smiley You already have the equivalent of an ADSL modem, its the BT Openreach Fibre modem!.
Connect the FVS338 WAN port directly to the modem, configure it ( the FVS338 ) for PPPoE with your PlusNet username/password and Robert's your not too distant relative!!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mattturner
Grafter

Ah yes... I'd missed that you were on Fibre.
If you just connect your Netgear to the Openreach modem, it should all work fine.
Matt
Waggers

Quote from: Matt
Ah yes... I'd missed that you were on Fibre.
If you just connect your Netgear to the Openreach modem, it should all work fine.
Matt

Thanks Matt.
I did try that, but the Netgear Box needed the Static IP address (which I have), the subnet mask (is it 255.255.248.0?) and the ISP's Gateway IP address.
I phoned PlusNet's techies and was told that the Gateway address could be one of 4 and this will change on each connection.  I've attached a screenshot of the Netgear's setup page and if you could cast some light on the numbers required I'd be really grateful.
Richard
Waggers

Quote from: MisterW
Why not just forget about the TG582 completely. Smiley You already have the equivalent of an ADSL modem, its the BT Openreach Fibre modem!.
Connect the FVS338 WAN port directly to the modem, configure it ( the FVS338 ) for PPPoE with your PlusNet username/password and Robert's your not too distant relative!!

Ah!  I'll try that this evening and report back!
Richard
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Ah!  I'll try that this evening and report back!

I've just looked at the manual ( and your post of the config page ).
Set the FVS338 to get IP address Dynamically from ISP, even though you have a Static IP.  Having a Static IP just means that PlsuNet will allocate the same IP all the time.
Then you don't ned to worry about Gateway IP etc , it will automatically be setup. For DNS servers you could either get those automatically as well or set them manually.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mattturner
Grafter

The settings you'll need are:
Does your ISP require a login: Yes
Login: username@plusdsl.net
Password: your password
Type of connection: PPPoE
IP Address: Get dynamically
DNS Servers: Get automatically (unless you fancy otherwise)
This should all work quite nicely.
Waggers

Thank you Matt and Mr W for your input - I now have a working VPN via my Negear FVS338.
Just in case anyone else has this problem.......
I have to change the MTU on the FVS338 to 1450 (the default was 1495).  Also, when the VPN wouldn't connect I noticed in the router logs that a reference was being made to a BE Internet IP address even though the IP address didn't appear in any of the VPN settings.
To fix this I deleted and re-created the VPN's at both ends and after changing the MTU all was well.
jonathantorbitt

I'm having all sorts of problems - have gone through all of the threads and tried binding, unbinding etc and nothing works for me and my TG582N router, which is even more annoying given that my Network Manager shows me the VPN working in work!
Any ideas?
I take it I can't post a screen shot of my telnet session here?
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

you would need to blank out any ip addy's for pers sec /business sec
but you can certainly post the screenies (in case your unaware pressing the prt scr button allows you to then open paint and push ctl+v to edit the page with the wide blackout brush for saving and posting)
you would need ot have the tg582n configured properly (upnp on / pptp allowed depending on which route your taking) but will probably find it a lot easier and less time consuming to setup I you get a different router which allows either multi tunnel upnp full nat or multicast static pptp server/client  (depending on how sec conscious you are and what else you do on your home network)
the technicolour stuff is pretty basic so its not really designed around facilitating mid to high level SO/HO stuff and more about consumer connection for the average pc/xbox/playtation/skybox/icrap user and a fairly limited number of devices are supported to allow it...
if your going to be wanting to work without the hassle (every firmware upgrade will make you reset everything as well) you should really think about getting something decent or getting work to provide the remote connection unit(one job I had a few years ago provided a special router preconfigured for vpn gateway access and anyone using it just had to shove in their isp username/password)
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you