cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TG582n - Latest firmware ?

lwarrine

TG582n - Latest firmware ?

My broadband was activated by  Plusnet at the end of last week .... plugged everything in at the weekend & all seems fine ... had a play last night and was disappointed to find the 'Technicolor 582n' router supplied by PlusNet came with firmware 8.4.4, so it hasn't got the useful feature of being able to control access of individual devices in the time domain which is found on some of the later firmware releases.
Searched the forum and found various links to various updates ..... but which is the latest ?
So before I mess about trying to update, can anyone confirm what is the latest firmware version released by Plusnet is & where I can obtain a copy ..... or even better can Plusnet support update this for me remotely !
Thanks.
16 REPLIES 16
apjashley1
Grafter

Re: TG582n - Latest firmware ?

dai
Grafter

Why dont Plusnet automatically rollout these firmware updates? Surely the upgrades are there to try and make the overall use of the router "Better"?
lwarrine

@ apjashley1 ... ok thanks. I'lll download & attempt to install it ..... unless anyone from PlusNet support jumps in & offeres to do it for me remotely.
@ dai ... I know it is frustrating that these firmware updates haven't been rolled out .... only got my router last week so would of been nice if it was supplied with a more up to date firmware version!
Thanks.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

One of the reasons is that there are some boxes out there that have USB ports that some users make use of, and the latest firmware can't support the USB port. In the majority of cases the 8.4.4.J firmware seems to work OK for most users.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: dai
Why dont Plusnet automatically rollout these firmware updates?

Are you suggesting that Plusnet should automatically roll out test firmware before it's fully tested and released? I'd view that as a highly irresponsible action!
8.4.4.J is the latest released version.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
dai
Grafter

Not at all, Anotherone has provided a perfectly valid reason as to why it is not automatically rolled out. What I am suggesting is that Plusnet should be rolling out the most stable version if they already arent. If they already do this, then my apologies, and I will retreat off my soapbox once more and stick to lamenting my sun-standard (and getting Poorer) connection.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Someone mentioned on another thread that the testing is almost done, but they weren't planning to remotely upgrade everyone all at once, because the flashing process is slightly risky, with the chance of leaving the router with no firmware if the upgrade goes wrong or gets interrupted.
PowerLee
Pro
Fixes: 2

O2 rolled out router firmware updates a few areas at a time in the past.
All you got on the forum was people moaning they hadn't been updated yet & when it was pointed out to them there area hadn't been done yet they just moaned even more.
Unless it's a security update for the router then it should be up to the user to update it IMHO.
Maybe PlusNet could send an email out letting user's know there is a new firmware available & what changes it will bring to the equipment & then let the user decide if they want to update it.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Found the post from the other thread.
I think O2's version of the 582n is "dual bank", with space to store 2 separate firmwares, for safer upgrades. Plusnet's model doesn't. DANT-1 vs DANT-T models.
PowerLee
Pro
Fixes: 2

Maybe an idiot proof automatic offline flash tool then for the PlusNet router is the way forward?
Either done connected via the lan OR via a usb stick?
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

That could be a bit tricky as not all the boxes have the USB port  Wink
I personally think that the best way is only to up date if it was either a security issue or a user is having a problem that the update supposedly fixes.
Eg, some users with 8.4.4.J on 20CN exchanges have disconnect problems which 10.2.2.B seems to fix.
Others may want an update because of some newer features, assuming they don't want to use the USB port if they have one.
It comes back to the old saying, If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Graham21
Grafter

10.2.2.B - this is for ADSL only
We have tested it now and are happy with it. We don't have a way to push it to everyone and wouldn't want to. The router is not dual banked so if something goes wrong with the upgrade there is no going back. If customers request it, we are able to push the firmware to their specific router. Alternatively, we have made it available for people to do it themselves.  We will eventually manufacture routers with 10.2.2.B already installed.
Graham
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Will you be updating it to remove the DEMO PREMIUM watermark and making that available?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Before I do something really silly and brick my router - what are the advantages of the new firmware
Also is there a firmware recovery tool as used on Netgear if something goes horribly wrong