cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TG582n Firmware

barkeyo

TG582n Firmware

Just joined Plusnet and been sent a Technicolor TG582n router which replaces the O2 supplied Thomson TG587n which I'd been using for a couple of years and was generally happy with. Unfortunately the wireless performance of the 582n (8.4.4.J firmware) seems to be significantly inferior to the 587n, however reading some of the other forum posts, it appears that there is newer firmware for the Plusnet router (10.2?) which may improve the WiFi performance.
So, questions -
1) How do I get hold of this firmware, as when I called Plusnet Tech Support, they don't appear to know anything about it?
2) Does anyone have experience of the TP-Link TD-W8968 or the Billion BiPAC 7700N for Wi-Fi performance as I'm looking at those as potential alternatives?
Thanks
18 REPLIES 18
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: TG582n Firmware

Hi barkeyo,
Welcome to Plusnet and our community forums,
If you take a look at this thread you'll be able to upgrade the firmware.
I hope this helps. Let me know how you get on.
Chris
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi barkeyo, welcome.
Have a search of this forum, plenty have posted about those routers before now.
Have you still got the 587n? Is it locked to O2, or could you change the details to use it on Plusnet?
barkeyo

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the responses.
@anotherone - Unfortunately I don't have the 587n anymore, O2 seem to request them back once you terminate  Sad
@chris - thanks very much, and is the firmware still beta, or is it now a plusnet branded release?
Anotherone
Champion

There's a DEMO watermark on the http: pages. A member of PN staff called Matt Turner is the expert in this area. It's supposed to work fine, but whether it's going to be the final version, I'm not sure. I'm hoping to try it myself sometime in the next few days, there's a few around who are trying it at the moment.
barkeyo

Much appreciated. I'll give it a go and see if it helps with the WiFi as it certainly can't be any worse!
barkeyo

One more thing, probably for PN to answer directly, is why do they supply a router which is so clearly deficient on the WiFi front, and that's purely in comparison to the previous Thomson/Technicolor offering? All over this forum I can see complaints about the 582n WiFi performance, so why oh why are they still giving it to people?
Even if I stand next to the router, I only ever get 4 of 5 bars on the wireless. If I go into the room next door, I'm already down to 2. Upstairs... well nuff said. I want to use the router for wireless media streaming from a Synology NAS which is connected to its LAN port, but I can't even stream audio (hardly demanding!) without the wireless signal or throughput flaking out on me. I can actually pick up my next door neighbour's WiFi signal better than I can my own. I've also used inSSIDer to ensure that mine is free of interference, and it shows that my home appears to be in an area which is remarkably free from contending WiFi networks, so the router doesn't really have much to complain about.

Anotherone
Champion

They probably got an ultra-cheap deal on eBay  [coat]
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

In comparison to the previous technicolor offering? The TG585v8 was hardly without any issues (poor wireless upload speeds, or crashing the router if certain wifi devices tried to connect).
InSSIDer does not ensure your wifi will be free of interference. It can't see interference from non 802.11 sources. It only shows other access points.
barkeyo

@ejs - I'm talking about in comparison to the TG587n which had been supplied by O2, and wish I'd held onto now because it was working perfectly adequately. I always find it amazing how a vendor can go backwards quite so badly, despite the fact that they 'reserve the right to "improve" their products'. In terms of inSSIDer, I'm aware of the software limitations, but considering the previous router's performance, the only possible changes to the environment are the PN supplied router and changes in neighbourhood contention. In this case there is no practical contention, which leaves the 582 as the culprit.
@anotherone -  Grin
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

You could experiment with a few tweaks of the tg582n's wireless settings.
It's early days yet, but these settings appear to have helped here.
Telnet commands :-
http://npr.me.uk/telnet.html#tweaks
barkeyo

@npr - thank you, I'll try those once I've installed the new beta firmware for the unit, though it looks like you could wonder why some of those aren't enabled by default as they're supposed to 'improve' the wireless, i.e.
wireless radio cdd=enabled
wireless radio stbc=enabled
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Wasn't impressed with the R10 beta firmware, mainly because it doesn't support the usb port.
Please let me know how you get on with the tweaks.
Moose666
Grafter

Quote from: Matt
You can find all the firmware files here:
http://products.plus-payh.co.uk/firmware/

Which one of these should I use for my TG582n (4-port, no USB)? My connection is ADSL, the firmware version is 8.4.4.J. WiFi strength is VERY low compared to my previous TG585 router.
Thanks
barkeyo

DEMO ONLY - Plusnet - ADSL - TG582n (without USB port) - 10.2.2.B
this is the version that I installed on my router last night, just note that you'll have to re-input any changes you've made to the settings (passwords, SSID name etc) as despite what the installer tries to do, it doesn't reload them.