cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TG582n FTTC - Wireless Speeds

phillipbaker
Dabbler

TG582n FTTC - Wireless Speeds

I have one of the TG582n FTTC routers. Im using a laptop capable of N speeds but even sitting right next to it im only getting around 54mps or sometimes slower surely i should be getting 150mps at least. I cannot seem to change this either does anyone else know what i could try.
3 REPLIES 3
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: TG582n FTTC - Wireless Speeds

That sounds like it's set to wireless b/g speeds rather than wireless n (though you rarely see transmission speeds up to the limit of the protocol's top speed). If you log into the router and check the wireless section you could see if n is enabled and if not, turn it on? Details on how to log in should be in the leaflet that came with the router.
Hope that helps.
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Equally it could be your router. I gave up with mine after trying 2 of them!!
inhost
Grafter

You can get it to work faster however the router is absolutely not fit for purpose so it will never be great.
Here is what you need to do.
Make sure your wifi card is set to N mode
Make sure you have no other b/g devices connecting to the router
Make sure you are no more than 2 yards away from the router
Make sure your wifi card supports N mode up to 300mbit
With all of the above you might get that paper weight they call a router to give you a connection of around 70 - 100 mbit however with this being wifi you need to half that to get your usable speed e.g. if windows shows 100mbit that actually means 50mbit up / 50 mbit down
Not great I know but as plusnet will tell you (obviously not before signing up) they don't care how fast the wireless is and will only offer support if you use car5 so are esentially implying that you can only get your fibre speeds if you are happy to run cat5 all over your house.
nice eh?
The other solution is to send back the router stating it is not fit for purpose and buy a one that actually works as it should for about £40