cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TG582n FTTC PPPoE bridge mode

rossbeavis

TG582n FTTC PPPoE bridge mode

I was just wondering if it's possible to put the TG582n for FTTC into some kind of 'bridge' mode, where it acts as a simple PPPoE client and then passes the connection onto the next device (in my case a Cisco PIX)? I guess it would be a fundamental change in the method in which the TG582n operates but I don't need its routing or wireless functionality.
I know this is a more common request on the ADSL-based routers than FTTC, but I know it's possible as I used to use a TG585v7 in bridge mode.
I've tried the DMZ features, and also passing the external IP on to a local network device, neither of which seem to work fully for all types of traffic. I've also tried using my Cisco PIX as a PPPoE client but that in itself has issues, so I'm looking for a way to get it working, even if it's ugly.
3 REPLIES 3
joes

Re: TG582n FTTC PPPoE bridge mode

Hi,
Did you ever get an answer to this question - I have the same problem.
Regards
Joe..
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there,
This post should help: http://community.plus.net/forum/?topic=112632.msg966406 even though you're not intending to connect the router to an airport extreme it should be the same principles involved.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
mikehiow
Grafter

What you're looking for is Half-bridge mode, and there aren't many routers that seem to support it these days.
I don't understand why you want to use it at all if you have a Cisco PIX? No idea what model you have, but I'd be surprised if there are any that don't support PPPoE?