cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TG582n ACL

nothingsevereas

TG582n ACL

Has anyone been successful at setting up an ACL on a TG582n?
I’ve followed the instructions, as far as they go, from the help pages but as soon as I set access to not allow new devices automatically, nothing can connect wirelessly.
My previous 3Com ADSL Wireless FW Router allowed me to enter the MAC addresses of devices I wanted to allow on. The TG582n doesn’t seem to do that, but should allow devices to connect if the “Allow to connect” box is checked as far as I can see.
The help pages to not really have much technical detail about how to achieve the config.
Thanks for any insight.
8 REPLIES 8
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: TG582n ACL

I don't think you can do what you want - it was much easier on my Netgear - one thing you could probably do is to select "New stations are allowed automatically " only when you want to connect as new device and have it set to "New Stations are not allowed" at other times
Once a device has been added you can selectively disable it if you want
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I assume Community Support Library article Controlling Wireless Access on the TG582n describes the only available options.
David
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

The GUI option "Allowed on WLAN" never works for me, doesn't allow the tick box to be changed.
There is a telnet option to allow / disallow wireless access:
http://npr.me.uk/telnet.html#macaccess
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You are correct - it doesn't
How stupid is that
nothingsevereas

Thanks guys.
I have to agree that the TG582n is not very useful to technically knowledgeable users, at least not in the form PlusNet supplies it.
I would also like to control the DHCP server and define an IP address to each MAC address, just like I have done in all my previous 3Com ADSL routers. I don't seem to be able to do that either, the best I can achieve is locking the dynamically allocated address to the MAC address.
I don't like using encryption as a method of access control, the proper way to do that is via an Access Control List (ACL). In the help pages the TG582n suggest you can manually setup an ACL. Leaving encryption to protect data. Sadly so far, I've not been able to get it to function. I've downloaded all the setup and user guides from NZ Telecom, but cannot find anything on the details of an ACL setup.
As you say npr, changing the "Allowed on WLAN" seems to be ineffective, I can change it, and expect it to allow that client to access the router even if it's set to "don't allow any new clients" (or whatever it's called). But instead it appears to prevent all wireless access. 
I'm not giving up just yet, I have a ticket open with PlusNet support, I'll see what they say.
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Quote from: nothingsevereasy
I have to agree that the TG582n is not very useful to technically knowledgeable users,

I have to disagree, if you're prepared to use telnet they're the most configurable router in their price range.
Note: in addition to acl, you can also "define an IP address to each MAC address" via telnet -- see the web page I linked to previously.

@ Oldjim,
I would say that feature in the GUI has been broken for at least 4 year in all the different models of Thomson routers I've tried.
nothingsevereas

ah, thanks npr, my mistake is to assume the web UI is the primary interface for configuration purposes, with the CLI just an emergency UI to access advanced parameters.
I know this is definitely untrue for enterprise class products where the web UI usually contains a subset of the available features and parameters. But for this class of product I just assumed the web UI contains everything available, except perhaps recovery commands etc.
I stand (or sit) corrected.
I'll take a look at the CLI. I did attempt it from my laptop, but telnet doesn't appear to be loaded in the OS. I'll try it from my tower machine.
nothingsevereas

Very good npr, I've found where I can set IP addresses to MAC addresses in the DHCP server (dhcp > server > lease), so that's one question answered, thanks very much to your insight.
I've not managed to track down the ACL yet, but that said, this is the first time I've ever touched a Thomson router so am on a steep learning curve.
Oh, clearly telnet is available on my tower. Something WAS easy for once ! Cheesy