Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TG582N - WLAN - Actual speed showing connected at 65mbps

hypnoboy
Grafter

TG582N - WLAN - Actual speed showing connected at 65mbps

Hey there.
Can someone tell me why this speed is the one constantly being sent from the router, It was connected at 130 but since it has dropped my ping rate on all wireless tech in the house has about tebled, and the speed fluctuates and is not stable.
Is there a way to have it settle on 130 as it was before?
Also, I have children who use the internet and I am looking for a way to be able to disable their wireless when I do not want them on the internet, under their device there is an option to disable WLAN connection, the box is ticked, yet cannot be unticked. Is this a setting which has been locked in for some reason or is there another way to disable a specific device from the connection.
Thanks
Craig
5 REPLIES 5
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: TG582N - WLAN - Actual speed showing connected at 65mbps

It sounds like you may be suffering from interference or congestion on your wireless channel. Try changing the wireless channel, try channel 1, 6 and 11 before using others.
Bjn
Grafter

download the free version of inSSIDer and easy to use program that shows all wireless connection and what channels they are on as well as signal strength and stability.
http://inssider.en.softonic.com/
You can change your router from auto channel select to give it a channel thats free or less congested, works for both 2.4 and 5GHz channels
Also I find the more people connecting to your router the low the connection speed appears which maybe why it's showing 65  when you logging to check speed on router. do a page refresh when checking router and you may find it goes up as others stop using your wireless network. The speed seems to stick at what it measured when you connect and a refresh shows current connection speed.
I'm no expert but the above is what I have found using my wireless plusnet router.
Bjn
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

inssider doesn't show non wifi interference, and it doesn't even show how heavily used the other networks are, so it can't really show the least congested channel. Probably the only useful thing is shows is how the channels overlap. It's actually worse than just trying different channels, although I suppose it looks more impressive. The actual inssider website does mention its limitations.
apjashley1
Grafter

Does one of your children have an iPad, that always made my connection drop to exactly 65
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there,
Definitely follow the advice already posted about wireless channels. InSSIDer is a really handy tool for doing that: http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/
under their device there is an option to disable WLAN connection, the box is ticked, yet cannot be unticked.

Have a look at this post re that issue http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,116038.msg1001711.html#msg1001711

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team