Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TG582N Router Question - New Plusnet customer

HavokRamirez
Dabbler

TG582N Router Question - New Plusnet customer

Hi All,
I have recently decided to move over from o2 to Plusnet as the low 10mb line I was getting needed an upgrade. I have signed up for the unlimited line and should soon receive my new router from plusnet. Heres the thing, I have a very similar Technicolour router already which o2 supplied with their broadband and I have had various different issues with it. These issues mainly involve connecting to it via wireless on mobiles in the house but not having any data pass through even though they connected successfully. I have heard this mentioned before on this router and also encounted some issues with my xbox not automatically logging into xbox live on numerous occasions, causing me to have to restart the router each time.
To cut a long story short, do people think its worth me picking up a seperate route, if so, any recommendations??!?!
I have 3 devices connecting to the router via wireless (2 phones and a laptop), plus one PC and the Xbox both wired. I do alot of online gaming on the Xbox so this is quite a key thing for me.
Thank you Smiley
10 REPLIES 10
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: TG582N Router Question - New Plusnet customer

If you do a simple search for the router, you will find MANY MANY of us have severe issues with them.
You don't say if you are using fibre or adsl, so router suggestions will vary.
However a BT HH3 will work for both and can be bought on ebay at a reasonable cost.
HavokRamirez
Dabbler

Sorry, I'll be getting the unlimited fibre connection. From my experiences, I know the Techni routers arent the greatest and am prepared to spend a bit of cash to upgrade in terms on routers.
I am currently leading towards getting one of the TP-Link or Netgear routers but would be great to hear views from other as I always only even used the standard router supplied by ISP's. I did look at the Billion router but the price is probably just a bit out of my range at around £130 and cant really see it being that much greater than some of the cheaper ones but could be wrong.
shure
Grafter

although I'm on ADSL2+ and not fibre, my experience with the Technicolor routers has not been great, especially for gaming.  Like you, I was constantly getting dropped lines and connection errors (among other things) using Technicolor TG582n routers supplied first by Tesco and then Plusnet when I changed recently.  When I switched back to my old Netgear DG834PN router the majority of those issues disappeared.
With regard to Xbox Live, I would strongly suggest getting a better router as the Technicolor is extremely limited with regard to customisation for e.g. fixed IP addresses and port forwarding, both of which my 7 year old Netgear router handles with ease and which help lag for online fps games, for example.  Additionally, when the Netgear does drop a line (which is very rare, but does happen), it reconnects itself with a minimum of delay, whereas with the Technicolor I had to manually reboot each time if I didn't want to sit there for 10 minutes with no connection.
Can't recommend any fibre routers as I'm on ADSL2+, but if my experience with my Netgear is anything to go by you could do a lot worse than get one of their routers to ease your gaming experience.
edit: just wanted to add that I have no connection to Netgear in any way, other than as a customer! Wink
CustardCream

I have had fibre for the past week using the tg582n and it's ok...
I have bought myself a Asus RT-N56U for around £80 to try out, but haven't had the time to swap yet.
http://uk.asus.com/Networks/Wireless_Routers/RTN56U/
4 lan ports and 1 wan port (to connect the BTOR modem to) plus 2 usb ports for printers or memory sticks/hard drives.

tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Hi Havko, you're right to want a better router than the Technicolor TG582n. I tried 2 of them before I bit the bullet & purchased an Asus RT-N56U dual band router. I've been absolutely delighted with it. I'm not losing any speed wirelessly (I'm also on unlimited fibre), it's easy to set up & use (I'm no techie believe me) & has many exciting features. I can highly recommend it at around £80.
Oh a cross posting, so mine is the 2nd Asus recommendation!!
HavokRamirez
Dabbler

Two Asus recommendations at the exact same time, a blessing in disguise maybe? lol
HavokRamirez
Dabbler

Ok I've now ordered the Asus RT-N56U.
Thanks everyone for your advise.  Smiley
HavokRamirez
Dabbler

Ignore this. I have realised that the BT engineer will install the modem for me.
CustardCream

BT Openreach will install their own modem on your install date (engineer will bring that).
Plusnet's tg582n router should arrive a day or so beforehand.
Engineer will connect the Plusnet router to their modem for you (hopefully) and check connection ok.
Meanwhile, you can configure the Asus router separately and when you're ready just swap the TG with the Asus.
(thats what I'm planning on doing).
HavokRamirez
Dabbler

Cheers Custard  Wink