cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TG582N Fiber Wireless Router and Wireless Access Point Issue

prsewell

TG582N Fiber Wireless Router and Wireless Access Point Issue

I am trying to set up a wireless access point to extend the range of the TG582N Wireless Router connected to PlusNet Broadband.
In fact I have got this to work but do have 1 issue.
My setup is as follows:
1. PlusNet Fibre Router (TG582N) connected to the BT OpenReach Modem (Configured as supplied)
2. Cisco WAP4410N Wireless Access Point (configure for IP address 192.168.1.63)
3. Powerline Adapters connecting both devices.
Now this configuration works in that you can connected to the wireless connection of the TG582N or the Cisco Access Point (AP).
But if you connect to the Cisco Access Point then try and connect back to the TG582N then the internet will not work.
I have looked at the TG582N Home Network tab and and see the following:
a. When connected to the WiFi of the TG582N it shows on the Wireless section of the Home Network tab.
b. When the device connects to the access point it shows up on the LAN
In both cases whether the device works or not through the Access Points it has the same IP address so it must be registering with DHCP (which is assigning auto IP address but not to the AP).
When I can not access the internet, I can ping the AP but can not ping the router on 192.168.1.254.
The only way to remedy the situation is to reboot the router, but I don't see this as a solution.
Before anyone  suggests using another Access Point, I have tried this (same issue) and mucked about with Wireless Repeater, Bridge settings but have come to the conclusion that it a basic AP connected via the LAN setup I need.
The only other thing to add is that I have tried using the same SSID on both devices and currently set up different ones (so its easier to test)
Has anyone else had a similar issue or know how to fix this?
It seems to me that the issue must be with the TG582N getting confused when the same device connects via the different devices.
Thanks Paul
7 REPLIES 7
frank39
Grafter

Re: TG582N Fiber Wireless Router and Wireless Access Point Issue

I have a similar arrangement which works well, so I can't throw much light on your problem.  FWIW, I will describe what works for me so that you can spot any differences.
  My 582n is connected to a Belkin access point by ethernet, the access point has a fixed address of 192.168.1.25.  The AP does not allocate any addresses ie. DHCP is off. Devices connected to the AP show up on the 582 network map as connected to LAN not WLAN - like yours.
In the past I have connected the same device to AP and to the 582, (obviously not at the same time) but I don't recall it getting the same IP address.
After some years working like this, I started to get odd failures to connect - these were device specific and came from revised firmware on my network printer and a change from vista/XP to Win 7. I was running AP and router with the same SSID and password and that upset the printer, I then changed the SSID and it fixed the printer but the other devices ( iOS 6, win 7) were not reliable where the two radio signals overlapped. I turned off the wireless on the 582 and repositioned the Belkin. It is now solid as a rock
All my ethernet devices are connected via a gigabit switch and show up on the network map as being on ethernet 1 (including devices on the AP, because that's on the switch as well).
I can access the setup page for the router and the AP from a device connected to either.
Hope this helps.
Frank
prsewell

Thanks for the reply.
Interesting to see that it worked before you had IOS6 and windows 7, which are the 2 OS that I am using.
Unfortunately turning the WiFi off on the TG582N is not an option for me, but I did change the channels on the 2 devices just in case the conflicted.
Hopefully someone else will step forward with an answer.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I have looked at the TG582N Home Network tab and and see the following:
a. When connected to the WiFi of the TG582N it shows on the Wireless section of the Home Network tab.
b. When the device connects to the access point it shows up on the LAN
That's what you'd expect.
But if you connect to the Cisco Access Point then try and connect back to the TG582N then the internet will not work.
In this situation can you try releasing and renewing the DHCP lease ? If you're using windows then from a cmd window use ipconfig/release followed by ipconfig/renew.
Let us know if that sorts it, if so I think I know what's causing it.
edit: if that doesn't work then can you try leaving it for > 5 minutes and see if it then works.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

frank39
Grafter

I hadn't spotted the second quote "connect to the Cisco.....", so my experience of failing to connect is irrelevant.  I should have read the OP properly and kept quiet.  I am sure that Mister W has it right.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 157

As a diagnostic exercise, you could try just rebooting the TG582n leaving everything else the same when you get this problem.  Then see what happens afterwards WITHOUT CHANGING ANYTHING ELSE.
I have growing evidence that ARP is getting screwed in TG582n after 5 or so days of operation.  I have a very similar setup to that described here using Devolo LAN over power and wifi AP - though evidence in my problem suggests that the affected devices are wifi connected to the TG582n.
Within the network, there are two laptops, one running Win7 and the other Vista.  After a clean reboot everything works fine, both can access the Internet, each can ping the other access network shares, etc.  The Vista device is the furthest from the TG582n - logic would suggest that it ought to attach to the AP (must get inSIDDer installed on that machine) but it does not.  That laptop can wander off to other nearby WiFi networks (BT Openzone) and back again to the home network.
In such circumstances, I have observed that machine not getting a DHCP address registered.  The router suggests that one has been allocated, but inspection of the device shows it has not been configured, thus the device is not actually in the subnet - it is wifi connected but can connect nowhere.  After a bit of prodding or fiddling it can be possible to get the device configured on to the subnet, it can ping the router and connect to the Internet, but not do the same to devices within the subnet.  Inspection f the ARP routing table on the Win7 machine shows n entry for the vista machine.  Inspecting the ARP table in the TG582n does show an entry for the Vista machine.  Leaving all as is and restarting just the TG582n clears the issue.
I am still trying to determine what is actually happening here. My prime purpose for posting this here is to share the experience and to indicate that there might be nothing wrong with your configuration, rather there is an operational fault within the TG582n.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

prsewell

OK, I have finally got around to testing some of the suggestions.
The ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew doesn't work.
Rebooting the PC and auto connecting to the AP wireless connector doesn't work.
Rebooting the TG582N - does work.
Waiting 5 minutes doesn't work.
Its got to be the TG582N!
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

That's a shame, I was hoping one of those would work.
Can you telnet into the TG582n and use the 'eth bridge maclist' to get a list of device mac addresses as seen by the TG582n. If you can do this in both 'good' and ''bad' situations perhasp we can glean more info as to what in the TG582 is causing the problem