Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TBB graph with packetloss

Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

TBB graph with packetloss

I've had loss on my graph for a few weeks now.  My connection is stable but I have been having minor gaming and streaming issues for those weeks.  What I can't understand is why, if I run a ping trace to a game server/bbc etc I certainly don't get any loss with Pingplotter or via dos.
My exchange is ear marked for fibre this June and wondering if its a possible cause with all the openwretch work going on.
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/NSIMD
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
8 REPLIES 8
Gus
Aspiring Pro

Re: TBB graph with packetloss

ah well since the trouble shooter is offline till tomorrow, starting to see more loss and higher average/maximum latency.  The amount of average/maximum latency is what I would expect if watching a stream, which currently I am not and haven't since 9.30pm tonight
edit: did a reboot around 10.20 pm and 3 gateway hops around 11.20pm.  Currently on pcl-ag05 with on demand streams painfull to watch 5player/youtube and 4OD
Gus
Aspiring Pro

updated the broadband fault tracker and got the enforced disconnection which moved me onto ptn-ag01 at 6.30pm now to see if I can find another working gateway
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Yuck, your ping graph looks worse every time I look at it.  Huh Undecided
I hope it gets resolved for you sometime soon.
That's RPM to you!!
XTERMY
Dabbler

Have you replaced the adsl cable (rj11) in the router? 2 days ago I replaced mine for a new one and started to get similar packet loss like yours on my TBB graph. Replaced back to my previous one and no packet loss. Maybe a faulty cable.
Gus
Aspiring Pro

It seems specific to which gateway I am on, at 9.50pm ish all I did was gateway hop
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Unfortunately there was some imbalance on the network this weekend, almost entirely due to the outage on Friday night. Our engineers were working over the weekend to balance things but unfortunately it can take some time, hence the packet loss you were seeing there.
Hope that helps explain, it is something we monitor constantly.
Gus
Aspiring Pro

Matt that maybe but this has been happening for the last 2 months or more.  I had to wait to bring it up to see if it was linked to the hardware issues you had since December last year.  As its still happening and I only seem to be affected, hence this thread and fault ticket
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Your Indicative Line Quality is showing up 'Red' at the moment. This means that your line is producing errors at a very repetitive rate, probably causing the packet loss we're seeing on the TBB monitor. Interleaving may help but in my opinion you've done the right thing in raising a fault.
As you say, this has been ongoing for a few months and it's unlikely to be an issue with the network unbalancing / gateway you're being connected to.