Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sync speeds and Netgear DG834G v1

deltec
Dabbler

Sync speeds and Netgear DG834G v1

Hi,
I have just moved over to the trial - before the trial my router was reporting ..
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 6624 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 34 db 11 db
Noise Margin 10 db 21 db
For a few days after getting onto the trial I received slightly higher speeds (but not much) - now I am getting the following ...
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 4541 kbps 883 kbps
Line Attenuation 33 db 9.5 db
Noise Margin 14 db 8 db
This makes we wonder, is the 834Gv1 ok with adsl 2+ or have I missed a trick ?
The noise margin seems to have gone up a lot, I also notice varying connection speeds - is this normal?

5 REPLIES 5
James
Grafter

Re: Sync speeds and Netgear DG834G v1

I have to admit that I don't actually know the answer, but given the age of the 834Gv1, I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't ADSL2+ compatible.
I'd suggest checking any documentation that came with your router?
http://kb.netgear.com/app/products/model/a_id/2323 <-- Suggests that it is only ADSL.
hadden
Grafter

ADSL2+ support may have been added to this router in a firmware update at some time.
Following the "Downloads" link on the above Netgear web page opens a page about the last update and that refers to "ADSL2+ interoperability".
Bojangles
Grafter

I have the wired version of the DG834v1 and it works perfectly with ADSL2+ providing you have the latest firmware. Your wireless seems to use the same firmware so it should be fine. You can get the firmware from: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/259
deltec
Dabbler

Thanks for the information, I am running the latest firmware which Netgear claims is fine for ADSL2+
So,
Can anyone help me with why my speed has decreased - last night I saw my downstream noise margin at around 20db which seems excessively high from the original.
Also, what should my router settings be ?
Thanks
Bojangles
Grafter

As you've just started the trial the speeds will go all over the place as it figures out the most suitable one. I've heard this lasts about 10 days but in my experience (and others) it was more like a month before it stopped resyncing every few days.
The 834 doesn't allow you to adjust modulation if I recall correctly so all previous setting should be fine. If your wireless one does, make sure its set to 'ADSL2+'