cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sync speed has dropped by 40%

carlj

Sync speed has dropped by 40%

Hi All,

I've been having some problem with my ADSL2 broadband for about a month now, I've raised the issue with my Plusnet but they say because it meets minimum agreed speed of 1MB they won't raise a fault for it.

What i've tried

New modem, new microfilter, new cable, plugged into test socket of master socket already, several reboots, quiet line test (all quiet).

So the problem started about a month ago, I have 3 ADSL lines coming into the house (I work from home so need the redundancy, and with 3 kids, more bandwidth :p), all 3 were syncing at abouyt 2.5MB steadily each time, never an issue. However the 1 line in question, for no reason a month or so ago decided it would never sync above 1.4MB. No idea where this magic number of 1.4MB comes from, but there must be some kind of limit being set somewhere.

Router stats are showing an "Attainable rate of about 2.7MB", all 3 modems I have are exact same brand/model and both the other lines sync near that "Attainable rate" and so did this line before the fault.

xDSL
xDSL
Mode ADSL_2plus
Traffic Type ATM
Status Up
Link Power State L0

Downstream Upstream
Line Coding (Trellis) On Off
SNR Margin (dB) 6.3 4.6
Attenuation (dB) 62.0 37.0
Output Power (dBm) 17.6 12.0
Attainable Rate (Kbps) 2780 776

Rate (Kbps) 1454 496

MSGc (# of bytes in overhead channel message) 61 34
B (# of bytes in Mux Data Frame) 44 15
M (# of Mux Data Frames in FEC Data Frame) 1 4
T (Mux Data Frames over sync bytes) 1 2
R (# of check bytes in FEC Data Frame) 16 14
S (ratio of FEC over PMD Data Frame length) 0.9682 4.0000
L (# of bits in PMD Data Frame) 504 156
D (interleaver depth) 32 2
Delay (msec) 8 2
INP (DMT symbol) 4.00 0.50

Super Frames 25850 20837
Super Frame Errors 0 0
RS Words 1731831 419296
RS Correctable Errors 8896 184
RS Uncorrectable Errors 0 0

HEC Errors 0 0
OCD Errors 0 0
LCD Errors 0 0
Total Cells 1437852 484306
Data Cells 164 151
Bit Errors 0 0

Total ES 0 0
Total SES 0 0
Total UAS 25

I'm at a loss as to what to try, the ISP refuses to raise a fault for it because my minimum agreed service level is 1MB 

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 1.5 -- 1 to 3.5

Available

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I'd proceed to get his rectified? 1MB may not sound like a lot to a lot of people, but it's a 40%+ drop in speeds for me Smiley

Thanks for looking

1 REPLY 1
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Re: Sync speed has dropped by 40%

Hi @carlj,

I'm sorry to hear that you've been experiencing this issue. After testing your line today I'm unable to find any fault and I'm afraid that as has been previously confirmed, we're unable to investigate the issue further as a fault due to this. As this is the case, I'm afraid there's not much more that can be done from our side for the time being, but to make the most of your connection I'd advsie to connect through Ethernet cables where possible and to monitor the connection so if any issues do pop up in the future we can investigate further.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team