cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sync speed dropped from 23 meg to 6 meg

fatdeeman
Grafter

Sync speed dropped from 23 meg to 6 meg

I'm not sure what's happened on my connection but it has been pretty stable at just under 24meg for a long time but today I have 6meg!
The noise margin is 22 so I would assume the line is ok, could there have been a temporary fault that has affected my profile?
Would it be possible to check to see if my router has disconnected a lot in the past 24 hours?
I'm hoping it was some temporary glitch and that the speed will pick back up!
58 REPLIES 58
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Re: Sync speed dropped from 23 meg to 6 meg

Are you FTTC or ADSL?
If ADSL, can you please obtain and post your router stats here?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

fatdeeman
Grafter

ADSL!
I think FTTC is due to go live at my exchange this month though so maybe work at the exchange caused some kind of disruption?
Router still reports ADSL2+, I thought it might have gone back a generation on me but apparently not.
Connection Status Connected
Us Rate (Kbps) 1063
Ds Rate (Kbps) 6653
US Margin 8
DS Margin 22
Trained Modulation ADSL2Plus
LOS Errors 0
DS Line Attenuation 3
US Line Attenuation 4
Peak Cell Rate 2507 cells per sec
CRC Rx Fast 0
CRC Tx Fast 0
CRC Rx Interleaved 0
CRC Tx Interleaved 0
Path Mode Fast Path
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Wow!  Stunning attenuation - are you in the exchange????  Kitz would suggest that your line length to the exchange is 200m  Crazy
Something is not right here, if I believe those attenuation figures something is screwy here.  The SNRM is very high which implies either there has been a lot of noise or disconnections on the line and the DLM has accordingly moved the target.  Have you changed anything recently?  New device plugged into the phone line, phones moved, new electrical equipment bought?
Can you down load RouterStats and get a persistent SNRM graph running - would like to know how stable SNRM is during day and night time.  Sometime during day light and dry weather, do a controlled restart of the router - log on to the admin page and do a manual disconnect of the PPP session.  Wait a few minutes, then. Power down the router.  Get a coffee, drink it and then power the router up again.  This should avoid the DLM thinking the line has gone flakey again!
You might need to manually connect the PPP session again.  If you can do all of this with RouterStats running, you will clearly see any differences between before and after.  Hopefully, you will see the SNRM come down and the synch go up - by how much we will need to wait and see.  If it sticks where it is, I suggest that you run the BB faults checker at http://faults.plus.net

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The speed of 6653 and ds margin of 22 suggests the line has been banded.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@ejs,
Thanks, I'd forgotten that possibility - which is grim for such a short line!

fatdeeman
Grafter

The exchange is about 150 meters away at most!
The exchange was upgraded to adsl2+ in January 2012 and my connection has been pretty much solid since then so this has come as a surprise!
No new equipment and nothing that could cause interference as far as I know!
fatdeeman
Grafter

I think one of the attenuation figures used to be 1 at one point!
fatdeeman
Grafter

It just occured to me I currently have my old backup router plugged in because I switched them thinking the router might be the problem. Should I just switch it off and then plug the normal one in after 5 minutes? Not much point running routerstats with the old router in place presumably? The old router doesn't sync as fast so I'd need the new one back in place anyway.
fatdeeman
Grafter

Swapped routers leaving a ten minute gap between and synced at the same low speed. Everything stayed like that till just now 4:25pm and have just observed the router resync twice. sync speed is still the same . About to set up routerstats
fatdeeman
Grafter

Routerstats now running, needed to do it all manually and find the right text via the source code option but got there in the end! Just had another re sync
fatdeeman
Grafter

Another thought occurred to me, what if the router itself is faulty? The only thing is I didn't run routerstats on the old backup one before plugging my regular one back in.
Seem to be getting a loss of sync two or three times quite close together at roughly 1 hour intervals.  I'll get hold of another microfilter too just in case.
fatdeeman
Grafter

Loss of sync seems to have no real pattern after leaving it longer. Still happening regularly. The problem seems to have gotten worse in the evening, I didn't notice any loss of connectivity during the day today. I might pop the other router on in a moment to see if that makes a difference because I'm losing sync regularly now anyway.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi,
Does not sound good!  Would be good to SNRM graphs.
It would be worth while running the BB fault reporter at faults.plus.net

fatdeeman
Grafter

Here are graphs for upstream and downstream noise. My router seems to have settled down again now.