cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sync speed and IP Profile anomaly?

Mardler
Rising Star

Re: Sync speed and IP Profile anomaly?

Yesterday, we were out in the evening and came Back to the router failing to connect.

Swapped the Netgear out and PN in: worked fine. Swapped Netgear in: worked fine.

Netgear had another outage c.6.5hrs ago. 

Stats: sync 15.475, snr 9db. Speed: 13.21 (Ookla). IPP 13.65. PN line speed still 15.1.

So, yet again, our connection is degrading!!!

That's two routers so I am now more convinced than ever that the problem is the BT line so - how do I get this fixed?"

Mardler
Rising Star

Neighbour with TalkTalk gets 18.7; he's not IT savvy so I've no doubt that at SNR 9db!!!

Mardler
Rising Star

I'm really fishing now!

Kitz's checker gives our distance from the exchange as 1.2km for down attn = 16db*. (Btw, years ago this was 9db.)

A BT engineer told me his tester was reading 780 metres and I reckon 0.7 to 0.8km is accurate.

So, down attenuation might be a clue to a bad line AND the fact that the value was 9db a decade ago confirms this degradation.

(*This is with the Netgear router - same as used 10 years ago - the TG582 shows 17.5db.)

Mardler
Rising Star

PN line speed now 13.6.

D/l speed now 11.93 and pages taking time to load. Edit: another test showed 13.19 - totally erratic.

Probably time to move to another ISP.

Mardler
Rising Star

Isn't there some (unwritten?) rule that says an ADSL2+ connection that fails to achieve 13mbps just 0.8km from the exchange must be investigated?

PN page states: Estimated line speed:17Mb (This may vary between 16Mb and 19.5Mb) - Checked on 2016-11-22 14:05:55. Er, my line speed is 13.6!!!

PN, please respond!

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Is your phone line with BT or PN?

Have you done any of the phone line checks or reported any faults?

Mardler
Rising Star

Line is with BT.

Every conceivable check has been do: 5 BT engineers (2 say there's an underground copper line fault, 1 found a bad external joint) new BT internal cabling, all other internal cabling/sockets tested by BT, filters changed, two routers used - you name it. Oh and we have had total phone line failures as well (no neighbours have and their BB is OK bar one who has some dropouts - he's with TalkTalk, 9db SNR and 19mbps d/l!).

Everything and then some has been done yet still the fault persists!

We used to get c.19mbps and a stable connection............

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Then its unlikely that PN can do much until you get a stable line from BT. If both phone and broadband were from the same supplier you would have a bit more leverage, but with all those dropouts showing on an earlier graph that will just cause DLM to lower your speeds to try and get a stable connection. PN can as they already have, reset the line, but then DLM will come back and slow things down.

The only way out of this will be to get the line sorted.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

If there's a problem with the broadband dropping out, which certainly appears to be the case, raise a broadband fault with Plusnet.

If there is a problem with the phone service itself, such as audible noise, or if the line test reports the kind of fault that has to be dealt with by the phone provider, then the phone fault has to be fixed first.

Otherwise, there's nothing stopping a broadband engineer (as in, an engineer tasked with a broadband fault) fixing a broadband problem, even if that includes doing things to the line itself.

Mardler
Rising Star

Another outage at c.19.00.

Router unable to reconnect until unpowered and repowered.

PN: [-Censored-] IS GOING ON?!!!

Mardler
Rising Star

I have come to the conclusion that PN don't give a s&^t about customer service.

Mardler
Rising Star

The most reliable BB speed tester, BT Wholesale, gives d/l at 3.98!!!!!!!!!!!!

PN: ANSWER!

Mardler
Rising Star

It is amazing that PN doesn't respond.

Mardler
Rising Star

But, Mustrum, how can you get the line sorted when BT and PN say there's no problem?

Mardler
Rising Star

ejs, with respect, you really don't understand anything.

I'm an ex IT bod with experience and deep knowledge of these systems from the very first packet switching comms. I don't need you or anyone else to tell me your misguided opinion, I want the problem of an external line sorted.

I was in a very remote location an hour ago. The wifi d/l speed was 42mbps, upload was nearly 12 - we can't get 13 d/l but used to get 19. Obviously, I know the higher speed was FTTC but the cabinet is nearly three miles from my then location.

I'm 0.7km from the exchange. No neighbour has a problem like ours. We are on a spur off the main line. Two BT engineers say there's an underground copper line fault. BT refuse to investigate. 

There are far too many people here who think they know everything. Unfortunately, they don't but I do (nearly!) and what I am experiencing on this line is basic: a cabling fault.

What I need is technological knowledge and the nous for dealing with a state monopoly.