Errors:-

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 180.303
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 1.481
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 2.166

Mardler
Rising Star

Re: Sync speed and IP Profile anomaly?

Connected for 12hrs.

Another neighbour (TalkTalk, d/l speed c.20) had an outage at the same time as us but did nor sit and log everything just left it for an hour and it was OK. He is close but on the main copper cable after our spur is taken off underground.
Mardler
Rising Star

Spoke too soon: another outage 35 minutes ago.

Mardler
Rising Star

Sync: 19.361, SNR 3.8

Speed: Ookla 18.93, thinkbb 15.9, BTW 18 (IPP 17.08!).

Mardler
Rising Star

Outages started again.

Similar DSL stats but speed down to c.13.5 (Ookla) but thinkbb is 2.9.

Mardler
Rising Star

Here we go again!

Is 40k FEC errors (down) per minute reasonable?

Another outage whilst typing - I can't keep up!!!

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Our line does experience occasional periods with high FEC rates, sometimes at around 60k per minute. In itself it is not really a problem. Without FEC+interleaving, the connection would probably be unusable during those periods, but with FEC+interleaving, it's fine and would be unnoticeable without checking the stats.

Mardler
Rising Star

UPDATE: FAO Tony Thompson (if still dealing with this)

Whilst I have no idea of the cause of all of the above AND at least one neighbour has had a long BB outage, I was so fed up that I swapped the TG582n router for my old Netgear DG834v2.

Connection has been up for 2.5hrs (was dropping every 1 to 2 minutes) sync is 19.164, down attenuation 16 (was 17.5) and SNR 3. Speed is c.16 using Ookla and thinkBB (BTW still gives odd results) instead of c.13 and anything from 2.5 to 13 respectively.

I will post again tomorrow, unless there are more outages.

Mardler
Rising Star

Thanks, ejs.

See my latest post: connection up for 3hrs+. I'll give it 48hrs and see what transpires.

Could be the PN modem has fried?

Any thoughts on the best upgrade given I'm told superfast will never arrive here? (Yet within 5 miles are places really out in the sticks 2+ miles from their exchange and they get FTTC at c.40mbps!)

Mardler
Rising Star

Been out.

Outage at c.19.15.

Mardler
Rising Star

Clearly, our line is carp.

On a slightly different tack, I just heard that another outlying village (three times or more from the same exchange, pop 400) is getting superfast with brand new cabinets - we have been told that it's too expensive to install new cabinets for is (0.7km from the exchange) and we will NEVER get superfast. Our village and the next are c.650 pop.

Can anyone explain how this works?!

Mardler
Rising Star

Poor stats on the 834 but the down noise margin is now hovering at 0 to 1db sometimes going to 3db!

It seems to me that something very bad is wrong with our line.

Where to from here?

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

I haven't read the full thread, Mardler, so forgive me if you've been this way before. Have you done all that is requested in the sticky thread at the top of the forum, and if so what was the outcome?

John
Mardler
Rising Star

Yes, John, I've done everything possible and then some. No change.

Five BT engineers, all say internal cabling is fine, two say there's an underground copper line fault and one found a bad joint at the pole where our line rises and the down line is attached. Master socket replaced and BT cable to downline; cable to first floor extension socket and the socket tested by BT. Filters replaced. 

The history goes back to Dec 15 when all of the properties nearby lost broadband, one for 3 days (BT notified him of it by phone so there must have been something of which BT was aware). Everyone came back but we (i.e. just this line, others all OK) started to have serious problems in Jan 16. All seemed well in Aug & Sept (d/l speed c.20, stable connection) and then it started again; we're now (TG582n) getting spells of outages every 50 to 90 seconds.

I've now changed the router (old Netgear DG834Gv2) but that is having outages regularly and it doesn't provide the error stats that the PN one does. (Wifi speed is poor, too.)

Current data:-

Uptime: 30m.

Sync 17.635 (down 1.5 on yesterday when first connected via the 834), SNR 6 (up 3), down attn still 16. D/l speed (Ookla): 15.36 (16.19). 

So, with a different router, I am already seeing outages and falling sync & d/l speeds.

Mardler
Rising Star

The most annoying thing is that I just heard another village is getting superfast BB (complete with new fibre cabinets because there are none now) whereas I have been told by the head of Better Broadband for our area that BT say we will never get it because we are an exchange only line which, obviously, the other village is!

We are 0.5m away from the exchange, the other village 2.3m. The next village from us is 2.8m. Other village pop = 480, ours and next village 650+.

Makes no sense at all.