Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sync rate increasing, download speeds stuck

ComplexP
Grafter

Sync rate increasing, download speeds stuck

Hi All
I've seen my sync rate gradually increase from 2MBits to 3.5MBits in the last few weeks but in all that time my download speeds (throughput) have stayed bang on 1.8MBits.
Any ideas?
Cheers
ComplexP
11 REPLIES 11
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Sync rate increasing, download speeds stuck

I've just taken a look back to the reports we get about the IP profile of your line. It shows that you keep having syncs with the exchange at 2272, which is why you aren't seeing an increase in throughput. 
Might be worth try out something like routerstats to see if you can identify exactly when these syncs happen and if anything else occurs at the same time.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
ComplexP
Grafter

Thank you Chris.
Is Routerstats some sort of logging program? How does it work please?
Thanks again.
ComplexP
Grafter

Hi Chris
I've done a little research and found the program you were referring to. I have a standard issue Thompson router so it was very easy to set up. I'll leave Routerstats monitoring for the week and see what happens.
For your information, when I started Routerstats at 09:28 this-morning I had a sync rate of 3523 and a noise margin of 8.5dB (actual download speeds still at 1.8 ). According to the router this had been a solid connection for 19.5 hours at that point.
Fingers crossed this will point to a clear cause for these random resyncs.
One question though: Assuming these resync issues are temporary what approximate length of stable connection time should I wait before expecting to see an improvement in the download speeds?
Regards
ComplexP
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

probably 3 days Sad
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
ComplexP
Grafter

Thank you Walker.
I've been watching the Routerstats program closely and noticed that the connection has been fine yesterday apart from 2 disconnections in quick succession at 18:54 and then again at 19:04. Both resynced quickly to be slightly under their previous number. At the same time I saw the noise margins plummet for a few seconds each time to about 2-3dB (although I suspect this is just a function of the router disconnecting?)
There was nothing unusual happening prior to these occurances in the house or on the routerstats.
I currently have my filter plugged directly into the test socket before you ask.
I am yet to see the resync rates of 2.3 that you mentioned before Chris but I will keep waiting to see.
My question of the day: If the router resysncs to a slight change in sync rate without that random 2.3 appearing should I eventually see an increase in throughput? I was under the impression that routers resync all the time with minon connection rate fluctuations and it's no big deal. Perhaps I'm wrong.
Thanks all.
James
Grafter

Hi ComplexP,
I'm seeing you as being connected @ 3.1Mbps currently, but we're yet to see an increase on your profiled speed.  Sometimes it can take as much as 5 days, but hopefully it won't be that long.
ComplexP
Grafter

Thanks James
My router seems to average a resync once per day, although these are normally only a small change up or down. However, it does disconnected for a few seconds during these resyncs. Could this be enough to stop my profiled speed from increasing or do I not need to worry?
ComplexP
James
Grafter

Technically it shouldn't if your resync speeds are roughly the same.
glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Don't hold you breath though. My sync speed had a blip and over a 1,000 hours later the profile is still stuck.
Quote from: Jameseh

I'm seeing you as being connected @ 3.1Mbps currently, but we're yet to see an increase on your profiled speed.  Sometimes it can take as much as 5 days, but hopefully it won't be that long.
ComplexP
Grafter

Hi Lloyd
Apparently the reason my profile is not increasing is because my sync rate randomly dropped to 2.3MBits for a few hours/mins before jumping back up at some point several days ago. It happened so quickly I missed it which is why I'm now continuously monitoring my sync rates using Routerstats.
So far I have not noticed it happening again (so hopefully I'll see my profile increase soon) but is it possible something similar is happening to you? If your sync rates are dropping massively for a few minutes during the night you may never know it's happening.
adie:quote
ComplexP
Grafter

Checked routerstats this-morning.
Still connected at about 3.1MBits. No disconnections overnight. I think it must be close to 3 days since that random 2272 Chris mentioned and it definately hasn't occured again. Profile still not changed.  Sad