cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sync Speeds drop yet Again!

lenseman
Grafter

Sync Speeds drop yet Again!

After a couple of weeks of slow but steady sync speeds the ADSL2+ bug strikes again with less than dial up speeds. Yet again my O2 mobile wi-fi connection is faster than my Plusnot Slowband.
This time I really cant be bothered to start another another round of ticket tennis and I am prepared to say I have finally been beaten into submission by BT/Plusnet.
John B.
17 REPLIES 17
toulouse
Grafter

Re: Sync Speeds drop yet Again!

Hi lenseman,
Sorry to hear of your woes. I also have been a victim of the dreaded BT gremlins, but my line seems relatively stable at present, albeit with a downstream SNR of around 15.
Are you sure it's not a temporary 'issue' ?
toulouse
lenseman
Grafter

Hi Toulouse,
This may have been a temporary glitch, but it is a glitch that compounds itself.
My download speed drops temporarily from 5236kbps to 487kbps, in conjunction with this my Sync speed drops from 6656kbps to 4540kbps. my SNR rises from 5.3 to 7.4.
No doubt my profile will also drop from 5500 to around the 3000 mark again. I would not be surprised if my SNR doesn't rise to 15 where it was a couple of weeks ago and then it will possibly take another three months to settle back to the figures I had last night.
This no longer feels like a trial it's more like a sentence.
John B.
toulouse
Grafter

Hi lenseman,
Yes, I'm inclined to agree with you about it being a sentence as opposed to a trial. However, I do know that PN are actively progressing these problems with BT, as finally it seems to be common knowledge that the DLM system is not working as it should do. Many of us on the trial have been saying that for months; my own view is that it is severely brain damaged - but only time will tell if there is going to be any resolution to the problems that all of us triallists have seen over recent months. Let's hope so.
My own experience is that prior to joining the trial I had synched solidly at 8128/448 with SNR of around 6 - 7. That had been the case for the previous 2 years with NO stability problems at all. I joined the trial in May and over the first 6-7 weeks I had a steady increase in synch speed starting at around 11939 and creeping up to the high 12000's. Along comes 23/24 June when all hell breaks loose, and my line has been all over the shop since then. Currently on 8498/1192 with SNR of around 15.
Let's hope that someone at Plusnet or BT can come up with a solution, real soon.

TTFN

Mick Young
dinosaurdad

hi guys, its taken from april to now to get my speed on 21cn back up to the 2 meg i had on a fixed connection. It appears BT senior managers have got thier heads buried in the sand.
It makes me cringe when i see thier advert on tv (upto 20 meg) PN support staff even tell me you would have to live in the exchange to get 20 meg
toulouse
Grafter

Hi dinosaurdad,
I might get my knuckles rapped for saying this, but......
I wonder what this 21CN would be like if it was being introduced by someone who knew what they were doing, i.e. anyone other than BT.
From reading around various other forums, it would appear that it is not just Plusnet customers who are suffering. The common denominator does appear to be the carrier, i.e. BT - Up to 20Meg - my bottom !!!!!

Happy 21CN'ing

toulouse
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Hi lenseman,
Sorry to hear of your woes, but you are not alone.  I am also a victim if the dreaded DLM. Since being on the trial, all was well at first, the stnc was up and down like a yo-yo, until SNR was stick at 30dB (Yes 30!!!!!).  Eventually got a BT engineer out, and everything went back to normal again, for a month or so, then all started again. SNR now at 15.  After a round of ticket tennis, agreed to monitor at 15dB (Sync 4500ish/ upstream all over the place).  Managed to keep sync for 7 days, so requested a drop in margin to 9dB. This lasted 2 days, and after 2 resync events, DLM put margin back to 15!!!!, and now line totally unstable, and sync stuck at 4544, with again upstream totally random.  BT engineer booked again, but I doubt anything will come of it, unless I have a line fault somewhere underground.
On 20CN totally stable (Record was 67days uptime).  I really wish BT would acknowledge that the system is not fit for purpose, and withdraw it, until it is, but I suspect they have so much invested in this, they will go ahead at half cock, and hope for the best.  It is like a sentence on this trial, and I have never checked uptime and sync so much, since I had ADSL.  At least PlusNet are trying, and I am happy to give as much input as needed, but until the DLM issues are sorted, I suspect that not alot will come of the feedback.  I live in hope................
lenseman
Grafter

Hi Penfold,
Thanks for your input, I have read about your problems and they mirror mine quite closely. I hope you get a better response from Plusnet than I have.
I found it a complete waste of time raising tickets and if you phone you get nowhere.
I have decided to cancelled my original reply due to the fact it would be ignored by Plusnet so therefore it is just a waste of my time posting any further details.
John B.
James
Grafter

Whilst it doesn't solve your problem John, I've managed to get hold of a 21cn DLM FAQ.
It's highly exciting reading and I'll try and get a non BT version written soonish.
I couldn't see a ticket on your account?
lenseman
Grafter

Hi James,
You wont see a ticket this time, I have found it an utter waste of my time raising a ticket only to be told to do all the same tests yet again.
Its not a list of 21cn DLM FAQ that I am interested in, its a positive result that would interest me far more.
How anybody can class anything about 21cn on a BT propaganda sheet as highly exciting I do not know.
Exciting to me is something that gets the blood racing i.e. riding out  North Atlantic Storm on a boat or driving a fast car around a race track or maybe sky diving.
I am not holding much hope of Plusnet ever sorting these problems out now they are part of BT, the phrase 'Don't bite the hand that feeds' springs to mind.
John B.
James
Grafter

To be honest, part of BT or not part of BT isn't the issue.
It's a hyperactive DLM that needs fixing.
scootie
Grafter

cant wait to see this faq james.
take it youve not found this floating around the web then due to the lack of a linky.
if BTw have sent you a book on the 21cn DLM then can i surrgest you bend at the knees when lifting it. health an saftey first Grin
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

I would be very interested in the DLM specifications, as I am sure its not working as intended Angry
Lenseman, I am awaiting a BT appointment, as its about all thats left to do, but I doubt very much they will find anything.  They didnt last time, and everything mysteriously went back to normal for a couple of weeks, suspect they reset my line or whatever they do at the exchange. Engineer was very reluctant to discuss what had been done......
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

See http://www.btplc.com/Innovation/Strategy/Hero/index.htm
This page is written by BT.
DLM – broadband's 'unsung hero'
(seriously!) Crazy
A more advanced and more powerful DLM will continue to be the key tool underpinning BT Wholesale’s new family of 21st Century Network-based next generation broadband services, which are set to reach 40 per cent footprint of the UK’s homes and businesses by March 2009.
And despite being something that doesn’t court publicity, there are a number of telcos from around the world who have already registered their interest in the technology. When innovation is this good, it’s hard to keep it out of limelight.
Crazy Crazy Crazy

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

James
Grafter

I'm unable to comment.
If I were, I probably wouldn't be able to owing to fits of uncontrollable laughter.