cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sync Speed and High CRC Error Rate

Nocturne
Grafter

Sync Speed and High CRC Error Rate

I'm getting a decent sync speed, around 8 mbs, but at times have a high CRC rate which can have a significant impact on browsing let alone anything more adventurous.
Is the rate of CRC errors directly related to sync speed ?.
If so I could pursue. If not I might have to live with it.
Thanks in advance.
Edit:
I should perhaps add that these are downstream errors.
To the best of my knowledge they only occur on weekdays between mid morning and mid afternoon.
The PC is hard wired to the router which sits around twelve inches from the BT installed socket which has a single telephone socket and a single Internet socket.
During these times the downstream HEC errors are almost as bad.
I very rarely have the phone connected because I can't stand the nuisance calls.
3 REPLIES 3
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: Sync Speed and High CRC Error Rate

Hi Nocturne,
I've noticed that your downstream SNR is set to 3dB, it may be worth us changing this to 6dB as you may be seeing errors due to this being to low. This would reduce your sync speed, but only slightly.
Nocturne
Grafter

My SNR margin dropped on Sunday to 3 db.
I didn't realise the margin dropped below 6 db, which led to what in retrospect was a somewhat confusing conversation with one of the CS staff.
Yesterday with a speed of around 8.5 mbs I had over a million CRC's errors in around five and a half hours although I could still access the internet, albeit rather slowly.
I manually re-synced with the SNR at 2.5 which reduced the speed a bit and the errors reduced.
This and your comment confirms that the sync speed can have a significant impact on the error rate.
The situation seems to have resolved itself since, following a loss of sync, I now seem to be on a margin of 6 db.
Assuming this was an automated process, it may go back down again.
If the worst comes to the worst I'm sure, with or without my help, it will go back to 6 db if need be.
I'd rather leave the automated process in place, assuming it works properly, than have it manually set at 6 db.
Many thanks for the reply and your assistance.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

I'd suggest just monitoring your connection and flag it up to us if anything changes then.