Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sync Rate / IP Profile

FIXED
jackcrwhitney
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Sync Rate / IP Profile

Hi, Before joining Plusnet I use to be with BT. When I was with BT I use to get download speeds of nearly constant 19.8MB. Since switching to Plusnet this has fallen to around 14 to 15.8mb. I know I'm still getting a good speed! But I was wondering is there any reason for this? I have noticed my sync rate has dropped slightly as well as my IP profile.
Any suggestions?
Regards
29 REPLIES 29
Estragon
Rising Star

Re: Sync Rate / IP Profile

Check your IP Profile again please, and also check your Plusnet Current line speed. (You will need to log in after clicking it, but then it continues to the right page).
Also could we have as many line stats as possible from your router, but at least down and up sync/connection speeds, attenuations and noise margins :).
jackcrwhitney
Dabbler

Hi, thanks for the quick reply!  Smiley
This is all I can get hold of due to using the Home hub 4 they log down most of the details so you can't see them  Angry
Estragon
Rising Star

Well the sync speed >> IP Profile >> Current line speed is perfect, and 16Mbps on a speed test from a 17.1Mbps IP Profile/CLS isn't bad.
Which leaves us with the question why is your sync speed so low - well below the throughput speeds you use to get. Any idea what sync you used to have? You say it's fallen slightly, but it looks like it has fallen a lot.
jackcrwhitney
Dabbler

That's interesting, I rwmeber it being between the 21 to 22mb sync rate. If that's any help.
Estragon
Rising Star

How long since you joined Plusnet, and was your speed slow immediately?
Did it take you a while and several attempts/re-syncs to get the HH4 to connect to Plusnet. I assume it sync'ed to the exchange with no trouble.
I'm guessing that the sync-time margin has been raised to 9dB or 12dB if it was 6dB with BT, or [ 6 | 9 ] if it was 3dB. That would account for what you are getting. Plusnet will be able to tell us what that figure is, seeing as the HH4 isn't telling you. But we won't know what it was with BT. Certainly, if it is 9 or 12 we are on some sort of track. Only if it is 6dB are we not sure.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi Jack,
Welcome to the forums.  The key figure we need to help you is the line's attenuation.  You'll not see 21Mbps synch speed on anything higher than 17dB attenuation (1.2km).  Look here - http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/adslchecker.php - to find out you approximate line length if you cannot get the attenuation figure out of the HH4.
Is the router plugged direct into the master socket?
@Estragon,
The evidence provided by the OP shows that the line synch'd at 3dB, in other words its running as fast as possible.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Estragon
Rising Star

So it did!  Embarrassed
I stopped at the 5.90dB and read it as downstream.
So yes, the attenuation would be useful.
jackcrwhitney
Dabbler

I joined plusnet back around February if i remember correctly, I thought the Home hub from BT would be better than the plusnet supplied router so I opted to use that. I didn't have any issues setting it up, it seemed to sync and connect up fairly easily. My line length according to the website is around 500Meters. Which would be right as the exchange is at the bottom of my road. If I do the distance measurement on google maps it comes out as 350Meters. In other words I'd say I'm very close haha  Grin
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Jack,
In that case, one might expect to see a full 24Mbps synch speed.
Quote from: Townman
Is the router plugged direct into the master socket?

Is the line quiet?  Dial 17070 option 2 - do it frequently.
Are there any other extensions?
Note that the SYNCH speed has nothing to do with the ISP, it is all down to the BTOR network.  There could be a fault or there could be an incorrect configuration on the BT Wholesale configuration.  This needs CRT assistance.
Kevin
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jackcrwhitney
Dabbler

hi,
thats what I would expect.
I do have a master socket but its in the attic, from there I only have one extension that comes down into the room below where my router is connected.
Just did the quiet line test and all seems ok from what I can hear. I shall try my router in the master socket and get back to you shortly.
Come to think of it! OR back in Feb installed a brand new standard BT phone cabinet and a large Fibre one right outside the telephone exchange, before that there was nothing there. My line is an EO line. So I can only imagine very soon they will be transferring us onto that cabinet so we can obtain FTTC? I wonder if any tinkering they have done may have caused this? If I check the BT DSL checker it doesn't mention what cabinet number I am on as I guess it may not be ready. According to Superfast Wales they need to dig up the road to get power to the cabinet next.
Estragon
Rising Star

While you are up in the attic, gently remove the master socket faceplate. Gently because there should be wires attached to it.
You will have connections on T2 and T5. (The numbering may not start from, some masters start at 2, so position may not reflect the terminal number). Probably a blue/white and a white/blue. Whatever coloured pair they are, remember which is on T2 and which on T5.
If there is anything in T3 or T4 gently remove them but don't cut them. Tidy away so as not to contact anything on reassembly, but don't tuck them behind the test socket as that's where the incoming cable is connected.
This won't cure whatever fault you have, but could have a significant beneficial effect. T4 does nothing but best to remove it. T3 is the old Ring/Bell wire and typically costs 750-1200kbps sync. It acts as a noise antenna and feeds it back onto the line.
At some stage check which way round the pair is inside the extension socket. T2 >> T2 and T5 >> T5.
jackcrwhitney
Dabbler

Hello again,
I re did the extension wiring myself a year or two ago and in the process made sure what all you said above applied. I got rid of a 4 extension sockets completely as they were no use to me.
Thanks for the information anyway  Smiley .
Attached are my stats after restarting the router in its normal location:
jackcrwhitney
Dabbler

And here are my stats in the test socket:
the above post and this posts stats are very similar which indicates to me that there is no issues inside my home.
Nice to see the sync has gone up after a restart I know it often can fluctuate a bit, but it looks like my IP profile hasn't changed.
Estragon
Rising Star

Well you've gained 2Mbps sync. In your current captures the IP Profile has risen to 18.88Mbps. Speedtest and throughput speeds will not rise yet, as the CLS only updates from the IP Profile a few times a day.
Still a long way down from what you used to have.
Edit - Originally your IP Profile was 17.1Mbps so a fair increase. Also your current 21400kbps sync is in line with your remembered 21-22Mbps.
Second edit, 21-21 corrected to 21-22.