cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switched from Zen to Plusnet - Massive drop in sync speed.

bartekboski
Dabbler

Switched from Zen to Plusnet - Massive drop in sync speed.

Hi there, 

I have switched to Plusnet from Zen few days ago and the sync speed has dropped massively from around 77Mbps (down) to ↓ 57,3 Mbit/s ↑ 20,0 Mbit/s. What can be the reason and how can this be rectified. The green cabinet that my house os connected to is located literary outside my front door and sync speeds have never been an issue before....How much time do I have to cancel the service from the day of activation if this is not resolved and sync speed is not brought back to usual level? Thanks for all your help in advance. Regards, Bartek

20 REPLIES 20
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Switched from Zen to Plusnet - Massive drop in sync speed.

Welcome to the forum.

Are you using the Plusnet supplied router? Can you use your Zen one? See here for settings https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/. Are you testing using an Ethernet cable or wireless? Only cabled tests are considered relevant by Plusnet.

When you change providers Openreach reset the DLM but this sounds like a very large drop if it's caused by the SNR going from 3 to 6dB but be prepared for Plusnet to tell you to wait 'for it to settle'

In terms of cancellation you have two weeks from signing up, not the go live date so you're probably already trapped.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Hi bartekboski,

My line does the same when the Openreach Dynamic Line Management (DLM) is reset.

My synch speed dropped from 78 Mbit/s to 58 Mbit/s.

DLM is reset when migrating from one ISP to another. There were rumors of Openreach were going to end the practice  of DLM resets when migrating but I guess it has not happened.

My speed loss was a combination of Openreach applying a default of low level interleaving, a 6 dB noise margin and the removal of G.INP.

If your line remains as it was with Zen (as it should), then DLM will remove the interleaving, apply G.INP and then reduce the noise margin in 1 dB steps, down to 3 dB if the line remains stable.

This will occur in steps over a few weeks.

Regards

Richard

bartekboski
Dabbler

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your message. I genuinely hope this is the case as otherwise I will be extremely crossed with myself for making the switch...One would think that this is something that should be explicitly highlighted by the providers - particularly if they have no control over it and its something that Openreach does....

Thanks again!

Bartek

bartekboski
Dabbler

Hi there,

Thanks, used both modems/routers - started with PlusNet's supplied and now swapped onto the old Zen's (Fritz Box 3490). FritzBox actually synced at slightly higher speed (the current one) PlusNet's was approximately 3Mbps less...Well I am hoping that this will sort itself out and I am not prepared to accept a speed that's actually lower that what was guaranteed. Will keep you posted here Smiley

Thank you again.

Bartel

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

If speed remains below the guaranteed minimum speed then that is your get out of jail free card.

The trick now is to just leave it switched on without any more router swaps and see how it goes for a bit.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

bartekboski
Dabbler

That's easy done as I am going away for a week Cheesy also that's why I asked if there is any post activation period I should be reporting this type of things to them. Thanks!  

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @bartekboski,

I'm sorry that you've experienced a drop in sync speed since moving over to us. Please allow up to 10 days after the installation for DLM to settle in and for your speed to hopefully go back to where it was with your previous provider. Please let us know if your speed is still poor after this 10 day period as we'll need to investigate this further for you if so.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
bartekboski
Dabbler

Thank you Emily. I shall be keeping an eye on it and will certainly report back after the 10days period. Kind Regards.
bartekboski
Dabbler

Hi there, so here is the update: the speeds are slightly better but still far from what the line was syncing at before the switch to PlusNet (77up and 20 down), currently the line is: 

Connected since 30.10.2018, 03:15

Throughput: ​↓ 67,6 Mbit/s ↑ 20,0 Mbit/s

Also and not sure how relevant this is but the line gets disconnected at around 3-4am every morning since the switch. Again to compare with the previus provider, the connection would sometime go undisrupted for 40+ days.

Is there anything that can be done about it? Anything I can do on my end?

Thanks, 

Bartek

Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hi @bartekboski,

After testing the line, the sync speed is lower than the estimated speeds of 74 - 80Mbps.

If you have completed our troubleshooting steps here, please raise a fault with our broadband troubleshooter. Once you have completed it, let us know so we can pick it up as soon as possible for you.

Thank you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
bartekboski
Dabbler

Thanks @Jubby just logged the fault - Its very disappointing as I have never had any problems with broadband up until the recent switch to PlusNet...can you confirm that since the speed is lower that guaranteed one I will be able to leave the contract without penalties? (thinking of going back to Zen)

Regards,

bartekboski
Dabbler

Hi Guys, another day of rather slow speeds....I am really seriously considering moving back to a supplier that's proven to be really good (especially in comparison to what I get now) Please advise if I am free to leave as I want to start the transfer process ASAP.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @bartekboski, I am sorry for the issues you are having with the speed.

With regards to the drops, might be worth factory resetting the router and ensuring that idle time out is set to 0 or turned off, as the drops are pretty much bang on the same time each night.

I have picked the fault up and raised it to our suppliers, it looks like we are going to need to book an engineer. Can you please reply to the ticket here and let us know once done so.

In relation to cancelling, we first need to attempt to resolve the issue for you. If it is deemed by an engineer upon investigation that we can't provide you with the minimum guaranteed speed, this is the point you can cancel without termination fees.

Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@bartekboski are you using the PlusNet Hub One router ?

do you still have the Zen supplied one ? not sure what they supply to residential customer, I have a Zen FTTC connection in the office and it's a TG589. Either way , it can probably be configured for use with PN ( just needs PPPoE connection details changing ).

Might be worth trying, to see if the synch speeds improve.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.