Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switch ADSL to ADSL2

disgruntled
Dabbler

Switch ADSL to ADSL2

Hi,
Yesterday I upgraded my modem from and old Speedtocuh which didn't support ADSL2.0 to a new Netgear one which does. I was expecting to see some improvement in speed but everything is as it was before.
Margins seem pretty good to me?
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 7082 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 29.0 db 14.3 db
Noise Margin 17.3 db 20.4 db
Speedchecker gives me an actual downlink of just under 6Mbps which I guess isn't bad but it's what I was getting with the old modem.
Is there anything else I need to to to swtich? I expected the modem to negotiate automatically and was hoping to see a higher sync speed. As far as I know my broadband package and exchange both support ADSL2.
Thanks
9 REPLIES 9
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Switch ADSL to ADSL2

When lines are moved to 21CN network they remain provisioned on ADSL1. You need to raise a ticket and get your line changed to ADSL2+
disgruntled
Dabbler

Quote from: Peter
When lines are moved to 21CN network they remain provisioned on ADSL1. You need to raise a ticket and get your line changed to ADSL2+

Thankyou - now why couldn't the response to the  formal help ticket I raised earlier have told me that instead of referring me to the standard speed issues page? Second time the tickeet system has failed me only to find good support in this forum Smiley
Are there any downsides to ADSL2+ that I need to consider before asking for the move? I understand there can be an increase in attenuation but it looks as though my noise margins should cope with that?
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

You should not have any issues with those noise margins... in fact you should also request the upload cap be removed so you get a higher upload as well (although this can sometimes cause reliability issues, if often does not).
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

@disgruntled
Has your exchange actually been upgraded to 21CN to provide ADSL2+?
David
disgruntled
Dabbler

I believe so:
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/STLOCKH
21CN WBC status: Enabled
Also just had a reply to my ticket telling me "After looking into your account it looks like your already on the ADSL2+ network. "
I've also manually set the DSL mode on the modem to ADSL2+ and re-connected but still no change.
Noise Margin 17.3 db 19.1 db
Is there some profile on my line which needs changing. I've seen references to 10day training periods, does this need to happen again?  The last line check was performed in Jan 2011 - not sure if this assumed ADSL or ADSL2+.
Maybe my line really can only supprt 7Mbps sync?  I was hoping for some change with ADSL2+
Thanks for the help so far Smiley
Stumpy21
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Hi
Your Noise margin is high this will cause you to sync at a lower speed than capable.
Quote from: disgruntled

Noise Margin 17.3 db 19.1 db

It may be worth contacting Plusnet, by phone, and see if they will do a  - Signal Noise Margin Reset to 6dB
Also what does your router list as your DSL connection type?
Derek
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

There is a big difference to being on an ADSL2+ network and actually using ADSL2+. As I said, people were moved to 21CN but still provisioned on ADSL1. You need to get CS to confirm your line has been provisioned on ADSL2+. That fact you can't see any difference when you force ADSL2+ suggests you are still on ADSL1 (a 17dB noise margin is above the max (15db) that can be used on ADSL1 so that is not the issue here.
Does the router tell you anything about the type of ADSL signalling you are using - something like G.DMT (ADSL1) or g992.1 (ADSL1) or g992.3 (ADSL2) or g992.5 (ADSL2+)?
disgruntled
Dabbler

Quote from: Peter
There is a big difference to being on an ADSL2+ network and actually using ADSL2+. As I said, people were moved to 21CN but still provisioned on ADSL1. You need to get CS to confirm your line has been provisioned on ADSL2+. That fact you can't see any difference when you force ADSL2+ suggests you are still on ADSL1 (a 17dB noise margin is above the max (15db) that can be used on ADSL1 so that is not the issue here.
Does the router tell you anything about the type of ADSL signalling you are using - something like G.DMT (ADSL1) or g992.1 (ADSL1) or g992.3 (ADSL2) or g992.5 (ADSL2+)?

Ok thanks - I have asked CS about the ADSL2+ provision.
I can't find anything in the modem status that tells me what signalling is being used - it's a netgear DGN2200 - only reference I can find is the ADSL setting page which lets me set the DSL mode.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi disgruntled,
You are definitely provisioned on ADSL2+ The reason you are not getting the best out of your line is because you have some really bad dropping connections (see below). The first thing to do would be to troubleshoot this. Once we get your line more stable we can look at reducing your SNR, which would give you a much better sync rate, and consequently a better speed.
How is your kit set up? Are you using any extension cables/extensions?
Jojo Smiley