Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Swapping router

riccardob
Grafter

Swapping router

Hi,
I tried swapping my router with a new one sent by plusnet some time ago.
the current one is BT Voyager 210ADSL so really old.
I tried to disconnect the existing router via the web interface 192.etc etc  prior to trying the new one however the connection for the current router only disconnected for a few seconds and then  came back. automatically.
I did try to fire up the new router and when i got the username and password page I got a message on the plusnet website that the server did not recognize my details.
I can only guess that the server is still running on the old modem connection hence the new router refusal.
Is this correct?
Should I ring the helpline and ask them to disconnect at their end prior to trying the swap again?
This is just an enquiry so please do not change any of my setting until I am ready. At least my connection works at the moment and I do not want to risk losing my connection.
I would just like to know what is likely to have happened.
Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Swapping router

Did you enter your login details on to the new router?
riccardob
Grafter

yes i did try and that is when i got a msg saying details not recognised.
dick:quote
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

There is probably a setting somewhere on the disconnect page to disable the "automatic" connection function, which may help if the Plusnet kit is holding the connection when you replace the hardware.
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Yes, I believe there's an auto-reconnect option which seems to be kicking in for you so I'd look for that.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
riccardob
Grafter

I have looked for this option but cannot find it.
the router is an old BT Voyager 210 adsl.
If any of the expert could tell me how to get rid of the automatic reconnect at my end that would be great thanks.
I have just tried disconnecting and as soon as the internet light went off i powered off the old router. Connected the new one and tried accessing the net. The broadband setup page appeared and I entered my username and password and it looked like these were accepted unlike last night. But after 25 minutes the connection still had not been successfull. I have therefore reconnected with the old router.
Bright
Grafter

I think this is what should happen: if you disconnect the old router while the PPP session is still active, your ADSL connection to the exchange will also drop. The loss of that should cause the PPP session to be terminated. Even if not, it should time out after about 8 minutes. When you connect the new router it should establish the ADSL link. Once that is up it should try to log in and bring up a PPPoA session again.
From the symptoms you described, it sounds like this last stage is where it is failing. Could you navigate to the log page on the new router and copy the log messages and post them here (I guess you'll need to copy them into a text file while you swap back to the old router)? That might show more clearly what is going wrong.
Also, did you configure the username and password (and other settings?) in the new router manually, or did you allow the router to set itself up automatically using Plusnet's TR-069 management system? If the latter, you could try doing a factory reset on the router and letting it try again - it usually takes up to 15 minutes (I assume this will still work on an existing, as opposed to new, account...)
riccardob
Grafter

I will try again tomorrow.
I really want to get the old router out of the way.
I'll keep you posted.