cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Swapping Packages

goberpiles
Grafter

Swapping Packages

Hi I have been with Plusnet a few months now and I am very happy.
Only thing I am struggling with is bandwidth, game a lot and download a few things and my usuage has gone near my Pro cap each month.
How easy is it to swap between packages?  Say Pro to Unlimited to see how it goes and back to Pro if I am not happy with the unlimited service?
I mainly game, surf net and watch footy online during the season.
14 REPLIES 14
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Swapping Packages

I believe switching to unlimited triggers a new 12/18 month contract - not sure which - but going back doesn't
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Pro is a 12 month, unlimiited 18, so switching to unlimited will make it an 18 month contract.
You could try and schedule your downloads for off peak.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
goberpiles
Grafter

Contracts dont make much of a difference I have only had 3 providers in the past 10 years, F2S, Sky and Plusnet and I spent a while researching Plusnet before I come here, it seems swapping to unlimited is an upgrade so wont make a difference, going to Pro from unlimited will start me on a 12 month contract again.
Will I see a reduction in ping playing World Of Warcraft or spikes if I watch Iplayer?
coastergrotto
Grafter

Check out the traffic shaping between the products.
Traffic shaping
As you will see there is quite a difference.  Downloading is really slow on Unlimited in the evening, and Gaming is restricted to 2mb 24/7.
dvorak

Gaming and streaming should be treated as the same priority on both packages.
Your ping shouldn't be affected and again iPlayer should behave the same.
I'm on unlimited and don't have any issues with iPlayer.
Customer / Moderator
coastergrotto
Grafter

@adiewoo:
As I posted on another thread I am currently at a friends who has Virgin Media 10MB broadband.  I can down load Eggheads from the iPlayer in 6/7 minutes at around 10pm in the evening.  On Plusnet Unlimited if I start the download at 10pm it will not complete until after midnight when there is no speed restrictions.

coastergrotto
Grafter

Also please explain to me as on the Kitz link it says Gaming is 'restricted to 2MB' thoughout the 24 hour period yet on Pro it is shown as 'Prioritised'.  Surely there has to be some difference.
dvorak

Gaming is prioritised on unlimited, though restricted in the sense that you can only use 2mbit's worth of your connection. Realistically no one is going to use this much, unless you probably have an array of 10 machines trying to game at the same time.
I was talking about the streaming which the OP wants to do (there was the same conversation going on in IRC too) rather than the downloading.
I appreciate the downloading on unlimited is slow and I tend to schedule mine after midnight.
Comparing the virgin one could be a little harsh, I don't even have a 10MB connection - I get half of that. The virgin speeds tend to depend on where you live - if lots of punters have it there is lots of contention and the service is slow.
Customer / Moderator
coastergrotto
Grafter

I appreciate what you say.    TBH I was astonished at the downloading speed on this Virgin connection.    My speed at home is regularly showing as 6500kbps with upload at 384kbps.  This connection shows download at 9483 kbps and upload at 490 kbps. 
goberpiles
Grafter

Most of us can only dream of virgin or be internet speeds, no cable in most of the South of England.
Seems unlimited should provide what I want, does it tell you anywhere on your account when you switch packages?  I have swapped but I cant see any reference to the fact I have on my account, do I just take it for granted that 1st July I will move to unlimited?
coastergrotto
Grafter

It usually takes place on your next billing date.
scootie
Grafter

i thought package changes from value and maybe pro Undecided upto unlimted didnt trigger restart on contract length.
isnt it any product change from unlimited which triggers a new contract
dvorak

I could be wrong, it has been known Roll_eyes
The one thing that does seem apparent that the lack of email confirming change of product and date it happens on is leading to confusion..
Customer / Moderator
James
Grafter

Hiya,
Changing products will result in the account being recontracted, however if you drop me a PM I can arrange for it to happen without a contract extension of 12/18 months.