cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Support, can you advise please?

Boo

Support, can you advise please?

Hi
Username is TIckettyboo, if that is needed, third letter of password is ** and fifth is **( just so you know I am actually a customer )
Just tried speaking to the helpline ( at international call rates !) and I seem to be unable to explain properly.
Have had PN broadband since whenever it was enabled in our village years ago. First it was .5 meg then BT brought out something different  ( can't remember what it was called but its years ago) and I ran it at about 1.5meg  for years. All was tickettyboo. Then, in Jan 2008, I downgraded to payg as we were to be abroad for a couple of years. Problem with webspace access, so I upgraded it again to a paid for account last September. ( even though there is no one in the house for 11 monthsof the year)
Went back to the UK for a visit last year and best I could get was .5meg 😞 Spoke to support and was told it took ten days to train cos it hadn't been used or maybe cos it had been disabled/re-enabled, well it didn't improve, but by then I was due to come back to Canada.  I aint too techy but if it did run at 1.5 and now it doesn't , surely something must be able to be done to fix it and make it play nice again 🙂
Am going back to the UK again this weekend , for about 3 weeks or so , My question is, is it worth my bother trying to sort it in that time - doing whatever tests etc are needed? or should I just try to live with it for a short time and wait till I get back to the UK for good next year?
I did ask that when I rang and the young man rattled on about changing packages not making any difference. I don't want to change packages, I used to have 1.5 meg and now I have .5 meg and would like my 1.5 meg back please.

If someone from support could advise in plain english that even a Boo can understand <g> I would be grateful.
Thanks
jim:blue bits of password removed because I am paranoid  Shocked mod:end
3 REPLIES 3
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Support, can you advise please?

In lieu of a Comms Team member responding I would suggest waiting until you get back into the UK and then post your router stats - this tells you how to get them http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php also what does this say about current line speed https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
With that basic information we will have a fighting chance of identifying what has happened and possibly help with a solution
Boo

Sorry, looks like I posted in the wrong group, thanks for moving it to the right place.
Young man on the phone told me that the most I can get is 0.5meg ( he looked at something to do with the line while I was on the phone). I am not making it up though, it did run for years at 1.5 meg and now it doesn't.  I know its difficult but I would like someone at Plusnet to acknowledge that they understand what I am saying and give me an idea if its worth me trying to sort it in 3 weeks wile I am home or if the best option would be to wait till the line is going to be in constant use again when I am home for good.
I'm not home till Wednesday, so they have time to phone a friend if they need to 🙂
jim:quote
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

There are many possible reasons for the slower speed. It could be external to your property or internal.
While we will be able to offer a little guidance and a few checks while you are home trying to get BT Openreach to do anything in that timescale is almost certainly a waste of breath.
I am sure you will have a better and more authoritative answer from Plusnet but it does sound as though something went adrift and trying to find out what it is and, more to the point, fixing it within 3 weeks is very doubtful unless it is something a bit obvious within your control.