Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Superzoom speed problem

Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: Superzoom speed problem

Quote from: SuperZoom
There would have to have been a pretty explosive growth in traffic over the course of less than two weeks - 4:30pm on Tuesday 25th June to 8:50am on Thursday 11th July - for the exchange to be so dramatically and consistently overloaded, even at 4am (I scheduled a test at about that time the other day, just to check).

er.. do you have speed tests from that time?  I didn't spot that in your posts.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
AndyH
Grafter

@dave
The router can handle whatever you can throw at it. "There" is beyond it. On the WAN side.

Actually, there have been issues with some routers and the faster speeds. Have a look at this thread http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?s=f0f625dff9196a518521ae93372e4917&t=9425 where a BT Infinity user had speed issues with his Asus router on the 330/30Mbps trial.
Thanks for the insight, Andy, that's really interesting. Hope you don't mind if I don't post exchange info, for obvious reasons, but could I ask whether you are seeing any other congestion symptoms on yours?

I'm on Bradwell Abbey, but there have been issues with congestion in the past and there will be in the future. Bradwell Abbey is a big exchange (I think it serves over 30,000 households) so it's always being upgraded and improved. It doesn't take much for a small group of us on pure fibre products to cause an exchange slow down for everyone else. Question is, are you noticing any performance issues from your normal internet issues (i.e. would you be aware of any problems if you weren't doing the speed tests etc.)?
I presume your SamKnows box is gigabit capable and plugged into a gigabit LAN port on your router, so those 80-odd Mbps aren't the limit of your hardware in any way?

It's connected into a gigabit switch - the router connects to the switch. The 80-odd Mbps is the max speed I can get on the line because of the overheads etc. Doing a TAP3 test gave me just over 90Mbps (which I think is a connection straight into BT's core network).

SuperZoom
Grafter

@Kelly
It was the early morning of the 12th, actually. I posted that afternoon that:
Don't know what's changed, but browsing seems to be very snappy today.
Latency is certainly very low: 3ms to BBC and cached DNS queries returned in 6 or 7ms; but beyond that no chance for non-subjective testing.
Very welcome improvement, though  Smiley

It seemed the more notable observation.
As I said, the two things aren't necessarily linked. But they might be. Either way, I hope the information is useful to you in finding out. It sounds like you might not have a great deal of control over significant parts of the network, so you might be just as much in the dark as I am.

@AndyH
Yeah, I'm not on 330Mbps... The plan was for 160/20 but something seemed to go wrong with that. It hasn't been explained why so far.
Eventually I'll get around to doing the throughput tests by setting up the router on a local PPPoE session, just for the sake of definitively putting to bed the notion that it could possibly be the bottleneck in any way, and then I'll sit back and wait for PlusNet to suggest that I might have a problem with a duff ethernet cable, or some bird poo on the window, or the way the gerbils are running around their cage (I don't have any gerbils)!!!    Smiley
BT could well be upgrading and improving our exchange, as implied above, and the short term effect might well be patchily negative and positive. Dunno really. Nobody has told me either way. We generally notice the responsiveness of web surfing more than average throughput. As I said to Kelly, the throughput information was what I had to offer. Guessing what on Earth might be going on at any particular time seems to be something of a recherché PlusNet sport - the Eton Fives of the ISP world, only more time-consuming.
So your testing setup is:
GigE Clients  -->  GigE Switch  -->  GigE LAN Port of SamKnows Box  -->  GigE WAN Port of SamKnows Box  -->  GigE LAN Port of Router  -->  GigE WAN Port of Router  -->  ONT
Is that right? Along with some wireless clients off the router, I assume.
SuperZoom
Grafter

Quote from: Kelly
er.. do you have speed tests from that time?  I didn't spot that in your posts.

Sorry Kelly, I may have misunderstood. If you meant 4am, I've replied to that interpretation.
If you meant the other two dates/times, the answer is yes: post 41.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

@Kelly
It was the early morning of the 12th, actually. I posted that afternoon that:
Don't know what's changed, but browsing seems to be very snappy today.
Latency is certainly very low: 3ms to BBC and cached DNS queries returned in 6 or 7ms; but beyond that no chance for non-subjective testing.
Very welcome improvement, though   Smiley

It seemed the more notable observation.
As I said, the two things aren't necessarily linked. But they might be. Either way, I hope the information is useful to you in finding out. It sounds like you might not have a great deal of control over significant parts of the network, so you might be just as much in the dark as I am.

I'm confused.  Your previous post talked about performance problems which you'd shown in early morning, but that doesn't suggest that?  Sorry if I'm being dense.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
AndyH
Grafter

@ SuperZoom
I doubt PN ever offered a 160/20Mbps service - BTO don't even offer such a product. BT Infinity offer a 160/20Mbps service which based on a capped 330/20Mbps product variant.
The SamKnows box is connected directly into my switch, without using the WAN port.
Why don't you say which exchange you're on? You can then see if anyone else with PN on your exchange on FTTP wants to compare performance. I would imagine your line performance range should be something like 68-72mbps - but there are going to be periods sometimes where this performance is lower.
SuperZoom
Grafter

Quote from: Kelly
I'm confused.  Your previous post talked about performance problems which you'd shown in early morning, but that doesn't suggest that?  Sorry if I'm being dense.

I was trying to say - obviously not very clearly - that I thought the problem might be a constricted link.
Such a link may also be expected to end up being a congested link at peak times.
The fact that I am unable now to reach the same level of throughput previously possible, even at 4am when there would be no congestion, does tend to suggest a constriction.
I posited a 100Mbps ethernet link which should be running at 1Gbps, but it could equally well be a smaller capacity than usual backhaul link. That would tie in with dave's idea that BTw could be in the process of
Quote from: dave
moving users to new backhaul capacity.

Who knows? I'm bowing out of the guessing game for today, I'm afraid...

Quote from: AndyH
BTO don't even offer such a product. BT Infinity offer a 160/20Mbps service which based on a capped 330/20Mbps product variant.

That's an extremely helpful insight, Andy. Thank you. Maybe that has been the source of the confusion all along. If only they'd said in so many words.
The SamKnows box is connected directly into my switch, without using the WAN port.

Ah, I see. Doesn't it have problems knowing when the network is quiet then, though?
Yes, you're right, I was getting about 72.9Mbps (with bursts of faster) - which is what I expected.
To be honest, I am not exactly fascinated by all this testing. I wouldn't feel any need to know what was going on at all if the web browsing was zippy snap snap and stayed that way! It's just a matter of looking for clues as to why it might not be.
It would actually be quite interesting to know if there are any other PlusNet FTTP trialists on the same exchange. Nearby properties are all on Infinity - and, of course, the Openreach guy was astonished that anything else might be a possibility    Shocked
AndyH
Grafter

I posited a 100Mbps ethernet link which should be running at 1Gbps, but it could equally well be a smaller capacity than usual backhaul link. That would tie in with dave's idea that BTw could be in the process of

I'd be surprised if any of BT's exchanges with FTTP are using 100Mbps ethernet links for joining into their 21CN network. It would kind of defeat the purpose of high speed connections.
Are you using speedtest.net? If you are, can you go to http://www.speedtest.net/results.php?a=share and Export Results (you'll need to edit the *.csv to remove the IP_Address column.
Ah, I see. Doesn't it have problems knowing when the network is quiet then, though?

The firmware picks up when there is no activity on the network to run the tests. It's also got some external antennas to detect when there is no wifi activity.
To be honest, I am not exactly fascinated by all this testing. I wouldn't feel any need to know what was going on at all if the web browsing was zippy snap snap and stayed that way! It's just a matter of looking for clues as to why it might not be.
It would actually be quite interesting to know if there are any other PlusNet FTTP trialists on the same exchange. Nearby properties are all on Infinity - and, of course, the Openreach guy was astonished that anything else might be a possibility    Shocked

What's your setup like? Wired/wireless? PCs/Macs?
FTTP is still a pretty niche product. You would be amazed how many houses around me that are FTTP capable homes still on their 1Mb ADSL connections. People just don't know anything about it because none of the ISPs really market it as a product. A PlusNet advert in one of the local papers about FTTP (up to 330/30Mbps etc. speeds) in Milton Keynes would surely attract a large number of interested people  Wink
SuperZoom
Grafter

Yeah, I didn't mean deliberately using 100Mbps kit, of course    Tongue
Well, hopefully I won't be doing too much speedtesting if Kelly's desire to get things pinned down comes to fruition    Smiley
Things seem OK today from the odd web site visited, and a quick TBB speedtest looked good; although I still don't understand why the HTTPx6 results are often anomalous - strange things seem to happen with HTTP on PlusNet, which I can only ascribe to the traffic management in the absence of other explanations. Still in the process of making absolutely sure it's nothing at this end before posting further on that, though.
Generally, however, the fact that ThinkBroadband makes fixed size test files available for download is more useful for troubleshooting than Flash-based testers, pretty though they are. Results can be compared more reliably across hardware and operating systems and benchmarked more easily against local servers. The text results in post 41, for example, were from cURL.
As far as your SamKnows box goes (unless your switch has a replication port for analysis and you've plugged it into that) it won't be able to see other internet traffic on your wired network if you plug it into the switch separately. That's how switches work. You can check for yourself by running Wireshark in promiscuous mode on one client whilst browsing the internet or some other unicast activity on another.
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

BTO don't even offer such a product. BT Infinity offer a 160/20Mbps service which based on a capped 330/20Mbps product variant.

That's an extremely helpful insight, Andy. Thank you. Maybe that has been the source of the confusion all along. If only they'd said in so many words.

Yeah, we've never offered 160Mbps. When the FTTP trial started we put people on a mix of 100/15 and 100/30. When we launched our FTTC products a couple of years back we mirrored the FTTP trial to offer the same speed and usage as FTTC at the same price to make things simple (40Mbps at the time) but offered the 100Mbps product as an add on at an extra charge. Openreach then announced the 100Mbps FTTP product would be withdrawn and we launched 80/20 FTTC so again mirrored the 40Mbps and 80Mbps on the FTTP products but withdrew the 100Mbps option. We have trialled 300Mbps with a handful of customers but we decided not to add any more at the end of the trial.
We've never offered 160Mbps, as Andy says that is/was a BTRetail offering.

Yes, you're right, I was getting about 72.9Mbps (with bursts of faster) - which is what I expected.

What's confused me is that you got the same speed (~65Mbps) via the Thinkbroadband test and across the LAN on the 100Mbps port. Wouldn't you expect the LAN speed to be faster than than WAN to LAN where the WAN side is set to 80Mbps but LAN 100Mbps? That's one of the bits that looks weird. Have you tested with a PC direct in to the ONT and setting up a PPPoE dial-up connection.
The fact that I am unable now to reach the same level of throughput previously possible, even at 4am when there would be no congestion, does tend to suggest a constriction.

Got an easy way of testing that, I can change your speed to 100/15 and see if you see a speed increase.
I'd be surprised if any of BT's exchanges with FTTP are using 100Mbps ethernet links for joining into their 21CN network.

The FTTP SVLANs are all dimensioned for 300Mbps users on them so none of them will be 100Mbps, the actual capacity will vary across them and I've no way of knowing what any of them are set to but they will all be higher than 300Mbps. SuperZoom's exchange shows OK on the reports we get but as I say, before it gets flagged as a problem it may mean that speeds drop quite considerably. Unfortunately we don't have any other FTTP customers on the same exchange to be able to check with them to see if they're seeing the same. I can see if anyone else within the industry has noticed anything at that exchange.
A PlusNet advert in one of the local papers about FTTP (up to 330/30Mbps etc. speeds) in Milton Keynes would surely attract a large number of interested people

The MKBAG did a leaflet drop a couple of years back with our number/website, Zen, AAISP and a couple of others. Penetration of FTTP increased quite significantly and the interest also (finally) got Openreach to infill some of the areas with FTTC which increased fibre take-up as well.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
SuperZoom
Grafter

Hi Dave,
It sounds very much, then, as if the confusion over the 160/20 provision might stem from the sales team using the BT retail checker (or some tool based on it) to establish the maximum consumer speed offered at the exchange.
I do wish the error had been properly explained to me, because then I wouldn't have been annoyed about it.
So thank you for your straightforward clarity.
It does make sense, of course, to have a harmonized product offering, regardless of the 'last mile' delivery mechanism; and Openreach do seem to have faffed around a lot with the speed combinations available as they feel their way forward.
I should be able to route 300Mbps without any issue, but I must confess that I don't currently have a practical use for it (and certainly, the particular machine I used as a client above would be well out of the running for that speed, even though it has a GigE card).
I take your point about the WAN 80 vs LAN 100 limits. I'm not sure I can offer a full explanation at this point without testing some other scenarios. It would certainly be interesting to see what happened if the 80Mbps limit were raised, though. But do you simply mean changing the PN profile? I presume the line speed cap set at the exchange isn't a simple thing for you to change at will?...
I can try asking around here to see what kind of throughput performance people are getting on Infinity, but the people I know well enough to turn up with a laptop and start doing my own tests don't have it yet, so it would be anecdotal information at best.
It has taken quite a while for FTTP take-up to accelerate here, despite BT offering a completely free 6-month trial including fibre home phone some time ago (they were completely clueless when I called the number on the leaflet at the time, so I didn't take it up myself, thinking it would lead to a whole world of hassle, confusion and disruption!) but the Openreach guys seem to be out in the nearby streets every day now. So it could well be that changes and upgrades are afoot in connection with anticipated growth, as we have basically surmised.
As I mentioned, there seemed to be no unusual limit on the TBB Flash speedtest yesterday. I'm not likely to be available much after posting this today, though, so nothing more to add on that at the moment...
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I take your point about the WAN 80 vs LAN 100 limits. I'm not sure I can offer a full explanation at this point without testing some other scenarios. It would certainly be interesting to see what happened if the 80Mbps limit were raised, though. But do you simply mean changing the PN profile? I presume the line speed cap set at the exchange isn't a simple thing for you to change at will?...

We'd do both, takes 1 working day to change the exchange side limit. I'll give it a go if you want and see what happens.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
SuperZoom
Grafter

I think it might be worth upping the line speed to 100Mbps just to see what comes of it, Dave, if you're willing to do that. It could provide you with some useful info as much as me.
Before putting you to any trouble, however, I've done some more testing to try to establish a better picture of where the limits are and to try to shed some further light on LAN vs WAN performance.
What I haven't done yet (but will do when I can) is set up a local PPPoE server so that I can control the WAN side of the data feed (although that will also take GPON out of the equation, of course.) Changing the line speed in the meantime will usefully vary that variable, however. And I have also, meanwhile, tested without the router in the mix, by making a direct PPPoE connection via the ONT, as you previously requested.
All of this throughput information may have no bearing whatsoever on general browsing responsiveness, so it could be a total diversion. I suspect it is; and is only tangentially related. But it's probably still worth getting a sense of the dimensions of it anyway, for reference.

So this is the test setup, which was intended to make sure any auto-negotiation problems between switch and router were apparent (there were none). I will refer to the machines involved by friendly, cuddly, memorable names I have just invented to make things clearer! All HTTP throughput measurements are taken from cURL. Both the LAN and WAN MTUs were set to 1492 bytes with a 1045440 byte maximum receive window.
This time, rather than using a separate 100Mbps local web server, I've kept the same (gigabit) server machine and just changed the network card settings. It is a faster machine than the one I previously used for the 100Mbps test. Whether it is the greater processor power or the better network card which accounts for the resulting higher LAN transfer speed to the same low-power client, it isn't possible to say, but it is possible to conclude that the rate at which data can be sent matters a lot. If something is slowing it down, it will be slower(!)  Shocked
Shaun = Slow, Old, Gigabit Wired Client
              - connected to gigabit switch
Walter = Local Machine Running Apache Web Server,
              Also Acting As Client For Some TBB Download Tests (Both Via Router And Making Own PPP Connection)
              - connected to a gigabit switch port on the router
TBB = ThinkBroadband Download Server
[tt]
Shaun    -->  Gigabit Switch  -->    Router      <--    Walter      ( -->  ONT)
(Client)                            (also Switch)      (Server/Client)
                                        |
                                        ONT[/tt]

And these are the (rounded) results:
The hardware optimizations are network card settings like checksum offloading.
I thought perhaps they were making a difference, but it seems not so much.

GigE with hardware optimizations on
Walter  -->  Shaun  = 105Mbps
TTB  -->  Shaun  =  69Mbps
TTB  -->  Walter bypassing router (PPPoE direct through ONT)  =  62Mbps

GigE with hardware optimizations off
Walter  -->  Shaun  = 101Mbps
TTB  -->  Walter  =  69Mbps

100Mbps Ethernet with hardware optimizations on
Walter  -->  Shaun  = 73Mbps

100Mbps Ethernet with hardware optimizations off
Walter  -->  Shaun  = 73Mbps
TTB  -->  Walter  =  69Mbps

It looks like the 80Mbps WAN connection is topping out at 69Mbps actual payload today, on this measure; whilst the 100Mbps LAN can deliver 73Mbps (at least to this client). But 105Mbps is also possible...
The difference is two different ethernet technologies as opposed to an arbitrary QoS limit.
So it would be a worthwhile experiment to see what a 100Mbps WAN link comes in at, I think.
The router doesn't seem to have any negative effect from the above. I wonder whether it only establishes a gigabit link on the WAN side if that link is running at over 100Mbps, though, or something like that?... If I sound like I don't know what I'm talking about there, it's because I don't!
Nevertheless, it is well worth noting that the WAN throughput figures have improved considerably since 12th July: on the morning of 11th July, the TTB  --> Shaun GigE figure was 57Mbps, for example. So that does support the theory of Openreach / BTw reconfigurations constricting speeds for a period, and perhaps thereby also causing congestion, consistent with the preparatory works which seem to be going on more often in local roads.
Would that have a bigger impact on responsiveness than any (as yet not established) effect from traffic management latency? Maybe...
AndyH
Grafter

What router do you have? The 100/15 Mbps variant will give you a max real lfe throughput of 88Mbps +/- 1Mbps. We've tested this with different ISPs etc.
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I've put the request in to change the speed to 100/15, should complete sometime early Monday morning. You may have to reboot both the ONT and the router for the change to take effect on Monday.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology