Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Summarising BBYW Options

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Re: Summarising BBYW Options

There is quite a bit of useful info in this thread which would be useful to archive for future reference.  If the OP (SWRT1963) and Plusnet have no objections I'll do a cut'n'paste of the relevant bits to the PUG Legacy Products page.
I'll update the link once the data is posted.
Maurice

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

James
Grafter

@ alanf
The Broadband Phone minutes would be retained if they were activated on BBYW.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

If you want to compare BBYW1 with Unlimited have a look here http://www.kitz.co.uk/isp/plusnet_shaping2.htm
As far as I can see for Download Sites and Download Servers BBYW1 is better than unlimited
Usenet, P2P and external FTP are largely better with Unlimited than BBYW1
Gaming downloads are better on BBYW1
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

You can also find the same info on the PUG site here.
KITZ is a long term member of PUG  Smiley
Maurice

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Can I suggest that PUG look at increasing the size of the comparison tables - the ones on Kitz' site are much easier to read
tywyn
Grafter

I'm thinking about switching to Unlimited, BBYW Option 3 or just staying on Option 2 with a £3 discount, but I'm definitely going to do something.  I  live in a market 3 area and I have some questions:
1) If I switched to Unlimited would I still get my broadband 240  phone calls?
2) Would I keep my exisitng IP's? I have 3 (2 external IP's and 1 gateway)
3) Is streaming throttled and if it isn't do streams broadcast using p2p get filtered as streams or p2p?
4) If I switched up to BBYW 3 how much would it be monthly with a £3 discount in a market 3 area?
5) If I sign up for any of the 12 month contracts do I qualify for a free router?
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

1) See message #16 above.
4) Market does not affect BBYW products
5) There is no free router on 12 month contracts with the new products. I'm not sure about  12 month contracts for BBYW. I think at one time it was a case of £3 pm discount OR a free router.
tywyn
Grafter

Thanks for your reply.
1) Ok so I keep my phone calls
3) Streams are unrestricted ( i just found out)
4) The price on Option 3 with a £3 discount is £16.55
5) Free routers only on the new products.
Now I just need to know 
2) If I keep my 3 IP's and if so would I get the exact same range?
3) If p2p streams are filtered as p2p or streams? e.g Sopcast, TVAnts
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi,
We should be able to keep your IP block in place, just ask for it in a ticket when you request the account change.
I'm not sure about Sopcast etc but I'll find out for you in the morning and get back on here.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: alanf
On reading the summary I was reminded that BBYW products (except Option 1) include a number of Broadband Phone minutes each month. (not something that I have used or foresee using). 

why not ?  in the next 3-4 years voip will take off even government dept are buying voip services for staff.  staff are allocated a voip number.  That means if they are in other office the call will find them
if you have a nokia e65 n82 n95 n95-8gb you already have a mobile voip phone which you can make voip calls.
voip is very useful if you travel abroad, no roaming or international call charges.  My friend calls me every night from Spain and its free plus I can ring him on his voip phone using is uk voip number so I only pay for  local call no matter where he is in the world.  the user/ mobile  just needs to find a wireless internet connection.  But you can call them on any landline phone
pop over to the voip forum ask me if you need any more details
puddy
ps plusnet voip service is not skype
swt1963

There is quite a bit of useful info in this thread which would be useful to archive for future reference.  If the OP (SWRT1963) and Plusnet have no objections I'll do a cut'n'paste of the relevant bits to the PUG Legacy Products page.
I certainly have no objection to the relevant bits being archived.  It was to try and get some definitive list that I made the original post.
Cheers
Steve
tywyn
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
Hi,
We should be able to keep your IP block in place, just ask for it in a ticket when you request the account change.
I'm not sure about Sopcast etc but I'll find out for you in the morning and get back on here.

Hi Chris thanks for your reply.
I'm happy about retaining the IP's, I'll wait on the Sopcast reply.
I just have a couple more questions
1) Would the restrictions on gaming @ 2MB have any impact on my gaming. If isn't prioritised would my pings increase in peak times?
2) If I switched to Option 3 this month but in a few months thought that Unlimited would better suit my needs could I start a new 12 month Unlimited contract instead?
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: tywyn

I wrote
5) There is no free router on 12 month contracts with the new products. I'm not sure about  12 month contracts for BBYW. I think at one time it was a case of £3 pm discount OR a free router.

Free routers with new products are available only with 18-month contracts.
tywyn
Grafter

Quote from: tywyn

I wrote

Ok thanks I'm clear on that .
puddy
Grafter

buy one off ebay from 99p
puddy