cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestion: My Usage Web Service

beano
Grafter

Suggestion: My Usage Web Service

Your current poll (why did you visit the member centre today, where 72% of respondents said "To view My Usage") prompted me to thinking...
It would be amazing if you could expose this information via a web service that could be contacted by, say, a Vista sidebar gadget.
Instead of having to login to the member centre to check usage it would just be there... all the time... DO IT!  Cheesy
4 REPLIES 4
Not applicable

Re: Suggestion: My Usage Web Service

There has been various discussions and hints that the development team are working on widgetising certain aspects of the portal.
What guise this may take is anybody's guess, but I think the biggest challenge is isolating the code for each section.
It may be that in future we just get a more customisable portal experience, but who knows, once parts are split out, they might be able to give us the option of something like you suggest - good idea!
zubel
Community Veteran

clicky
[quote=Matt Grest]
another very interesting development (for some) to come out of PlusNet’s Software Framework is the plan to open up parts of the Framework to our customers and the Internet user at large. Remember the massive spike in Facebook activity once they made the move to give access to their API so that 3rd party developers could add value to the site? (I blogged about this way back in July 2007) Well, we are currently working on doing something similar at PlusNet. So, an example might be that one of our customers feels that our “View My Broadband Usage” website tool doesn’t quite given them the features they are looking for. If that’s the case then they can just go ahead and build their own tool and share it with the rest of our customers. So it might be the case that someone would rather have a system tray application that gives them a real-time view of their data-usage in the current month; that’s fine, be our guest and build it. We’ll give access to the API calls that you need. Obviously with something like this customer data security is of the utmost importance, something we take extremely seriously as we know exactly what happens when you get things wrong in this area.

Something I shall be getting my hands dirty with when it's released Smiley
B.
Not applicable

Dirrrttty boi!
/coat
beano
Grafter

Quote from: Barry
clicky
[quote=Matt Grest]
another very interesting development (for some) to come out of PlusNet’s Software Framework is the plan to open up parts of the Framework to our customers and the Internet user at large. Remember the massive spike in Facebook activity once they made the move to give access to their API so that 3rd party developers could add value to the site? (I blogged about this way back in July 2007) Well, we are currently working on doing something similar at PlusNet. So, an example might be that one of our customers feels that our “View My Broadband Usage” website tool doesn’t quite given them the features they are looking for. If that’s the case then they can just go ahead and build their own tool and share it with the rest of our customers. So it might be the case that someone would rather have a system tray application that gives them a real-time view of their data-usage in the current month; that’s fine, be our guest and build it. We’ll give access to the API calls that you need. Obviously with something like this customer data security is of the utmost importance, something we take extremely seriously as we know exactly what happens when you get things wrong in this area.

Something I shall be getting my hands dirty with when it's released Smiley
B.

What do you know, I had already read that post and forgotten about it (judging by the fact I'd left a comment!! (nerd.)
I appreciate it's probably a big job and not top priority, but would anyone got any idea how far away this sort of thing is?