cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suddenly dissapointed, speed throttled?

scotslass86
Grafter

Suddenly dissapointed, speed throttled?

I'm nearing the end of my first month with plus net and until now service been fantastic, streaming and downloading was much improved compared to my old service with talk talk, got up early today to download some music in the free period before 8AM and spent 40 mins trying to stream ONE song, ran a speed test and found im getting 0.33mpbs whats going on?? is it being throttled so its unusable because its free or what? although i done some downloading early morning not long after signing up and it was perfect, i seriously hope it picks up again and there is a genuine reason for this?
22 REPLIES 22
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Suddenly dissapointed, speed throttled?

Could you have exceeded your monthly usage allowance (but not seen/read the warning emails)?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
It looks like the DLM system picked up a low sync event on Sunday afternoon at around 4pm, as you've been on a 350kb/s profile on BTs side since then. Oddly though our connection logs are showing an ongoing connection over that period, so it must have been a very brief disconnection that caused it.
Did you happen to notice anything happen that afternoon at all?
scotslass86
Grafter

hi, i wasnt online yesterday afternoon so not sure, was online last night and running a little slow but only tried browsing so dont know how bad it was, speed test still showing 0.3mbps now?
no, nowhere near usage, only at 5gb with 4 days to go until billing
scotslass86
Grafter

still only getting 0.33 mbps and running painfully slow, had been getting 4 mb after first joining...
scotslass86
Grafter

no improvement yet, running slow all day, not happy at all never seen my internet so slow  Sad
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Well for reasons that even Plusnet cannot understand, the automated equipment in the telephone exchange decided to slow your line down to a crawl.  If the line appears stable it should change its mind within 72 hours - which would be by Wednesday afternoon.   
scotslass86
Grafter

how strange, what happens if it dosn't pick up by wednesday?what can be done? ive never ever had this happen before and ive had broadband for years, today's speeds are 0.33 again so a practically unusable service for the second day
harps1h
Grafter

Have a little faith with theses guys. I had a similar problem where my connection should be around6/7 mb but was crawling along at anyting from 0.5 to 1.8mb. After a year and 2 isp's I came to Plusnet on a rolling contract and they have solved it! I now have enjoyed a rock solid 6.7mb for over 3 weeks now. It did them a few eeks and a couple of false dawns, but they got there. It was all down to BT just as it appears yours is.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: scotslass86
what can be done?

Well if your line appears to be stable but it doesn't recover after 72 hours then Plusnet can ask for it to be set back into training mode.  That should fix the problem in the short term and in the long term if it was caused by some one-off anomaly. 
scotslass86
Grafter

thanks will wait and see if it improves
dont worry im not writing plusnet off just yet ive had great service until now so confident it will be sorted out Smiley
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Loop Loss 39.5
SNR Margin 22.5
Speed  544
At the moment your profile isn't going to change as your line is still connecting to the exchange very low. As it's pretty stable I'll give it an SNR reset to try and force the SNR back down and therefore the speed up.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
scotslass86
Grafter

I wont pretend to understand what that means  Embarrassed lol but appreciate anything you can do
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

A bit like your computer grinding to a halt - if nothing helps try a reboot
Essentially they are telling the exchange equipment to forget all the rubbish which happened before and start again with a clean sheet
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

@scotslass86 the work we've done to reset your line should take effect within the next 2 hours and should temporarily leave you with a maximum speed of around 2mb. That speed should then rise back towards your original estimate over 72 hours all being well.
Please keep us posted.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team