Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden drop in speed

snapper_mart
Grafter

Re: Sudden drop in speed

My connection had  dropped this morning , and speeds have dropped again Sad
My line has been profiled at 1500k, but the BT test reports the following:-

The Performance Tester is now testing Broadband connection. Your configured download throughput speed for this service is 1500 k
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    Your DSL connection rate: 6464 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 1500 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1353 kbps
If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP.

This up and down of speed is getting a bit irksome !  Is there a reason why my line should be disconnecting and causing the profiling to drop?
..Oh and hope everyone had a good Xmas Smiley
M
aclayton
Dabbler

Hi,
It looks like there's definitely some interference causing your line to drop as the sync speed has varied so much - we just need to work out if it's inside your property or if it's a fault on the line itself. Matt put together a good, comprehensive blog a while back covering how to do this - just follow the steps on connecting to the test socket/intermittent connection:
http://community.plus.net/blog/2008/02/19/my-broadband-doesnt-work/
If your connection still drops out every few minutes then we need to raise this BT Wholesale. The easiest way to do this is via the Broadband Fault Checker:
http://faults.plus.net
Bizarrely, Christmas tree lights can cause intermittent sync - so it's worth switching those off if you have any and check if the problems persist.
Once the connection is stable again your usual throughput will return - we just need to get to the root cause of the intermittency so the equipment in the exchange can re-assign the appropriate IP profile to a stable line.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Andrew
Christmas tree lights can cause intermittent sync

The killer in my house was an electromechanical time switch used to control some Xmas lights; instant broadband disconnect as it turned on.  Angry
(fortunately I'm LLU, not on BT kit, so it's not a major issue)
snapper_mart
Grafter

Quote from: Andrew

If your connection still drops out every few minutes then we need to raise this BT Wholesale.

Hi Andrew,
From my end, the connection seems to be OK for a few days, then will drop causing my line to be re profiled at a lower speed for  a week or so, then it will be OK for a while again until it drops again etc etc.... It doesn't seem to drop every few minutes a you suggest.
Martin
aclayton
Dabbler

Hi Martin - I've looked at your connection logs for today and there have been 26 connections so far, the shortest being for 1min 5secs and the longest is your current session at just over 8hrs. The connection has been like this since early December, so it definitely looks like an intermittent fault.
I'd suggest that you connect to the test socket using an alternate filter and check if it stabilises - if not then we'll need to raise a fault.
snapper_mart
Grafter

thanks Andrew, I'll get on to it ASAP Smiley
Cheers,
Martin
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Quote from: snapper
This up and down of speed is getting a bit irksome !  Is there a reason why my line should be disconnecting and causing the profiling to drop?

Hi Martin,
The answer is yes. This sounds like a classic case of an intermittent connection somewhere, not interference, based on the reported number of connections (26) earlier in the day and your line stats as posted early in this thread. Can you hear any crackling or other noises when using your phone?
As already advised by Andrew, you need to plug into the test socket, this will eliminate any internal wiring/extensions. You should also used a corded phone.
If you can hear noises on your phone line, at the moment, rather than worrying about trying to do speed throughput tests or using the BT speedtester (can be tediously slow), the most informative information is your line stats from your router (as per your post #2). [Once any fault has been located and fixed and your sync speed (data rate) has become stable, then your profile should go back up. It's then worth running speed tests to check everything is back to normal.]
When you post back the most useful information will be your router stats, whether you have extensions (& how many), whether you could hear noise on your line, filter plugged in at the test socket (and also when everything is connected as normal).
If you can hear noises on your phone line when connected to the test socket, the most efficient way of dealing with your fault will be to phone your line provider (the company you pay line rental to) whilst the line is noisey. Get them to confirm they can hear the noise and log it as intermittent. (Don't mention broadband or you might get the run around to the ISP. You can mentioned you are plugged into the test socket with a corded phone if queried, so you know it's not your extensions etc.). If it's BT phone 151, do NOT use any automated test options, go to speaking to an adviser.
If you can't hear noise at the test socket, but can when plugged in normally, you will have to go through a process of elimination until you've located your internal problem.
If you can't hear any noise at all, you will have to go through the sequence of checks and tests as advised on the link already posted by Andrew so this can be dealt with as a broadband fault. (Also check you haven't got any electrical equipment causing problems - flashing Xmas lights are notorious).
Regards,
Chris.
mal0z
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone
Can you hear any crackling or other noises when using your phone?
As already advised by Andrew, you need to plug into the test socket, this will eliminate any internal wiring/extensions. You should also used a corded phone.

quiet line test - dial 17070
snapper_mart
Grafter

Hi guys,
No noise on line at all. Have connected to test socket and disconnected all extensions etc.
Changed router and microfilter
Staus page says:
Downstream Rate: 7264 Kbps
Upstream Rate: 448 Kbps

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PVC Connection   
  Encapsulation: RFC 2364 PPPoA
Multiplexing: VC
Qos: UBR
Pcr Rate: 
Scr Rate: 
Autodetect: Disable
VPI: 0
VCI: 38
Enable: 1
PVC Status: Up

Anotherone
Champion

Hi Martin,
It seems that you may have to just hang on to see if things stay stable at the test socket. Your stats are fine, noise margin figures would have been handy but as you are pretty close to the exchange it won't be significant unless your connection drops again. If things stay stable, return to your normal setup with your (new) filter and router and see if you sync at the same high speed and remain stable. If so, then substitute the filter for you old one, if still OK then try your old router.
Regards,
Chris.
snapper_mart
Grafter

Well.... my sync rate has been steady since i Installed the new router/filter,  but things are getting worse !
BT test came up with :-
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    Your DSL connection rate: 7360 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 1500 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 505 kbps
Sad Angry Cry
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Your line has to stay stable at the higher sync speed for a significant period before BT raise your IP Profile, until then your speeds will be restricted. It can take up to three days for this to happen.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
snapper_mart
Grafter

Things looking better now, just checked my sync rate with BT tester... syncing at 6000 now, rebooted my router and:-

Smiley
Anotherone
Champion

Quote from: snapper
......... syncing at 6000 now, rebooted my router ........
Glad things are starting to look better Martin, BUT on the 30th you reported syncing at 7360 so if you really are now only syncing at 6000, then things do not look stable. You should be syncing at well over 7M and once you are, then do NOT reboot your router - leave it on ideally. I can not over emphasise that it is line and sync speed stability that are the most important things, speed tests are largely irrelevant until stabilty has occurred (profile and throughput should then follow, or given a kick if they don't follow) so posting regular router stats (sync rate, SNRM, attenuation) particularly if there is any significant change are the most important things to assist in achieving that.
Regards.
snapper_mart
Grafter

Sorry, my mistake there, The router is syncing at 7360, but the BT profiling is 6000.
I had to reboot the router to enable it to resync to the higher BT profile.
M Smiley