Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden download speed drop

mattturner
Grafter

Re: Sudden download speed drop

No, nothing at all really.
It's only 8 seconds long so doesn't allow me to review how the throughput builds over time (as you'd expect with BitTorrent). However I can see from our traffic management that you're not getting high throughput.
Are you sure that the problem isn't with the people sharing the file you're downloading? Is it a popular file? Is it possible that there is a speed restriction set in your torrent software?
Matt
mattdp
Dabbler

I'm pretty sure it's not the number of other people sharing. As I said, I get the same results with large, popular files like Linux distributions.
It's possible that it's the software, although I'd be surprised. I haven't changed any settings or upgraded the version recently. But I'll dig into the settings when I get home, and perhaps download a different client to try and see if it gives the same results.
mattdp
Dabbler

OK, well I tried some different clients last night, and they seemed to solve the problem! Now I feel like an idiot for not thinking of that myself.
In my defence I checked and re-checked the settings on my usual client and there was nothing there that should be capping the rate, and nor had I added one. So quite why it suddenly showed a drastic drop in speed is beyond me.
But anyway, thanks for the suggestion, and for trailing through my WS captures. Much appreciated.
mattturner
Grafter

No problem. Thanks for checking!
Let me know if you work out what caused it.
Matt