cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden Sync speed drop

Wheel_nut
Grafter

Sudden Sync speed drop

After 105 days continuously sync'ed at 7960Kbps, my Router resynced some time early afternoon today at 3150Kbps. I restarted the Router again at around 22:30 and it is now sync'ed at 2560Kbps.  S/N Margin is 6.5db.
I am going to leave it until the morning in the hope that the Ghouls and Ghosts that bring down sync speed will have gone away by then.
Anybody else seeing similar problems?
4 REPLIES 4
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Sudden Sync speed drop

Any chance of the full router stats - attenuation is the most important as the only three reasons I can think of are a massive increase in attenuation due to a line problem or someone plugged something in they shouldn't or a filter has gone down.
Either way can you check the stats at the test socket
Wheel_nut
Grafter

Hi Oldjim,
It is much simpler than that. The Phone line is dead! No dial tone, zilch. Strangely, the Broadband is still synced at ~3000Kbps and 6.5db SNR margin. Perhaps I shouldn't be surprised that you can send HF signals down a wet piece of string!
This is where I find out how easy to get a fault fixed with Primus Planet Talk who provide my Line Rental and Voice service. I have been with them for about 3 years and the service is excellent but then I haven't had a line fault in that time
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Never good to lose your phone line. At least you've still got ADSL so can always use VoIP if you need to make any calls.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Wheel_nut
Grafter

Reported the fault to Primus Planet Talk on their 0800 FREE number at 16:30 yesterday. Call answered immediately and one Option selection took me to a Person in Mumbai who took the details and said that they would test the line and call me back. In the meantime, he diverted all incoming calls to my mobile.
He called back about 5 minutes to say that they had detected a fault and would be reporting it to BT Openreach to fix. He expected that they could fix it remotely without access to the house.
Was out today but when I got back at ~ 4 pm, an Openreach  van drew up and a lad came to the door saying that they had been working on the fault for an hour and wanted access to the Master socket. He plugged a dongle into the Test socket and went away, returning about 30 mins later to say that he had traced my line at the Exchange but expected that it may be tomorrow morning before the fault was fixed.
Status tonight is that the Voice service is still dead but Broadband is sync'ed at ~2800Kbps.
In all of this, no mention was ever made of a charge if the fault was attributable to my equipment.
Roll on Dawn!
Edit: Update: The Openreach lad came back at around 09:00 this morning  (Wednesday) and confirmed that it was fixed. Not bad for BT!!! My Broadband is now sync'ed at 7648Kbps.

Now the surprise was that I got a call mid morning today from Primus Planet Talk to check that the Phone was fixed and that I was happy with the service. Never got that with BT!