cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stuck on ADSL2+

kankali
Grafter

Stuck on ADSL2+

Raised a fault on Sunday - 52326773. No response as yet.
I normal sync at c5.8Mb on ADLS2 with a 6db SNR.
For some reason I am now syncing at c4.5Mb on ADSL2+
Seems a little strange. Model doesn't allow me to choose which ADSL I use.
Modem in test socket etc.
32 REPLIES 32
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Stuck on ADSL2+

I'm just having a look at this now for you.
Model doesn't allow me to choose which ADSL I use.

I think a choice would confuse a lot of our less technical customers, however we can put your line back to ADSL1, however we'd only usually move anyone from ADSL1 to ADSL2 if the speed is above 3.5mb which is why you would have been upgraded.
I'll update you about the fault ASAP.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
kankali
Grafter

Adam,
Thanks for the speedy response.
I was upgraded from 20CN to 21CN just before Xmas. The line moved from ADSL1 to ADSL2 (not +) with a c1Mb increase in sync. V Happy.
But after some issues with a new router (I think) last week I reinstalled my old router and found I was on ADSL2+ with a much lower sync.
Regards, David
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Iv'e tested the line and can see evidence of an LTB issue, that means a lower threshold breach where the line rate (and sync speed in your case) is below the MSR and FTR (maximum stable rate and fault threshold rate).
Interestingly the FTR is fairly low so I'm wondering if something happened during line training to push the sync speed down.
I've logged this with our suppliers now so we'll keep you posted.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
kankali
Grafter

Adam,
My line just resynced - I assume that was you doing something. Still stuck on ADSL2+.
Yes the MSR looks very wrong - 4.5Mb. If that is associated with the time stamp of 7th Feb then it is definately wrong. I regraded on 21st Dec so the 10 day training period would have finished early Jan.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Nope, that wasn't me! Smiley As mentioned I'd have a lot more cause for concern if this is still an issue tomorrow but I will pick it up then for you if it is.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
kankali
Grafter

Adam,
Some good news. Router just resynced on ADSL2(not2+), 47db attenuation. As per normal.
Bad news. Still synced at 4.5Mb with an SNR margin of 12db.
Do I just wait for this to come down to my normal 6db?
On another topic. if I uncap my upload speeds will that impact my downstream speed or does it just try and put more bits in the same upstream frequency bins?
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Although you'll see warnings that uncapping the upstream might impact your downstream speed it really shouldn't, you're absolutely correct that it just fills the existing upstream bins a bit better.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
kankali
Grafter

Walker23
Thanks. I have seen a number of forum posts asking this and I could never understand why uncapping the upload would affect the download speed, unless you went to Annex M.
Will wait until my line gets fixed before giving it a try
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Although you'll see warnings that uncapping the upstream might impact your downstream speed it really shouldn't,

Not 100% right, it will have a slight impact on the downstream.
Will wait until my line gets fixed before giving it a try

An SNR reset was put through yestreday but I can see that your target SNR is still 9db so I'm going to resubmit that now for you.
Adam
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
kankali
Grafter

Adam,
Just like to say thanks to you and Steve for continuing to pursue this with your supplier.
I had another resync event c9pm last night - very surprising given the 9db SNR margin.
In Jan I managed 2 x 10 days with 5.8Mb, 6db SNR margin (if I remember correctly).
I am worried that there may be an underlying line fault.....which may have triggered the stuck DLM.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I am worried that there may be an underlying line fault.....which may have triggered the stuck DLM.

let's see how things go with the SNR reset today, if there's no improvement I'll have a more in-depth look at this for you.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
kankali
Grafter

Adam,
Finally unstuck, phew! ADSL2, 47db attenuation, 6db SNR margin, Sync 5.7mb.
Thanks to you and Steve.
I am still curious why uncapping the upload reduces the download speed - care to expand on your previous answer.
Regards, David
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Basically in order to use more upload bandwidth the line uses some of the frequencies that would normally be used by the downstream side of things, hence the minor impact. As you say though it should be minimal.
itsme
Grafter

Sorry Matt but your explanation is completely wrong. No downstream frequencies are used when the upload speed is uncapped for Annex A.