Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stuck Profle /during/ Re-training?

mplusnetuser
Grafter

Stuck Profle /during/ Re-training?

First a little background info:-

• I recently got a new TG582n router and new Ethernet port, so I asked for a DLM reset to try to optimise the connection to the current hardware.                                                                                                                                                                                                

• My old SpeedTouch reliably connected at 9,025 and downloaded at about 8.5MB.                                                                                                                                    

• Before the TG582n arrived I was connecting for about a week with a BT Voyager USB modem, which only connected at about 4,025, and presumably caused an appropriately lower reset of my line speed.                                                                                                                                                                                                      

• The new TG582n instantly connected at 8,011 before the DLM reset.

I'm now about 4 days into the re-training. After almost 3 days it re-connected at 8,295 (and that has been the only DSL re-connection since installing the TG582n about 6 days ago).
But ... my actual download speed is still limited to about 4MB, and https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed still says "Current line speed: 4 Mb".
When I have been through re-training in the past (just a few times, over the years, once to specifically nudge a stuck profile), the substantial change to both connection and line speed (and actual download speed) has been pretty instant, with the remaining 10 days merely squeezing out the last reliable MB or so of speed. This time, no uplift to the faulty line speed after 3 days, and only one single DSL re-connection, seems awry.
So, my question is, should the re-training sort all this out by itself over the next 6 days ... or is something stuck?
10 REPLIES 10
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Stuck Profle /during/ Re-training?

I'm afraid if something is stuck it is liable to be Plusnet.  Have a look here https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed .  Your "current line speed" is a speed throttle applied by Plusnet.  It's supposed to match the BT IP Profile but the system is faulty so it frequently gets stuck for several days.
mplusnetuser
Grafter

Thanks, that PluNet page still says "Current line speed: 4 Mb" Sad
The BR SpeedTester says the "IP Profile for your line is - 7.32 Mbps" :-
Best Effort Test:
Download  Speed
4.23 Mbps  [0 Mbps - 7.15 Mbps Max Achievable Speed]
Download speed achieved during the test was - 4.23 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 2 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 7.32 Mbps

So do PlusNet need to kick it, or will it sort itself out? Even if it will, could PN kick it to save me up to another week of half-speed downloads?
Presumably the IP Profile will increase further during training. Will PN's 4MB throttle adversely affect the results of the re-training?
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: mplusnetuser
So do PlusNet need to kick it, or will it sort itself out? Even if it will, could PN kick it to save me up to another week of half-speed downloads?

It will eventually sort itself out but will do so instantly if Plusnet kick it.
Presumably the IP Profile will increase further during training.

During my last training period, my sync rate/IP Profile peaked at the start and drifted gently down.  I have no idea why.  So don't presume you will see an increase.
Will PN's 4MB throttle adversely affect the results of the re-training?

No
mplusnetuser
Grafter

Quote from: ReedRichards

It will eventually sort itself out but will do so instantly if Plusnet kick it.

Thanks again.
And if anyone from PlusNet is reading, would you please do that? Thanks.
During my last training period, my sync rate/IP Profile peaked at the start and drifted gently down.  I have no idea why.  So don't presume you will see an increase.

That's been my experience too, until this time.
It re-connected about 45 mins ago, upping the sync rate from 8,295 to 8,482. And the BT tester now shows an IP Profile of 7.48 (up from 7.32). All (slowly) encouraging.
But the download rate is still only 4.18, and the PlusNet line rate still shows 4MB Sad
Will PN's 4MB throttle adversely affect the results of the re-training?

No

At least that's a comfort, thanks.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I've just updated our profile to 7300kbps to approximately match the IP profile.
Hope that helps.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
mplusnetuser
Grafter

Thanks very much.
But, out of interest, why 7300 and not 7400 or 7500, when the IP Profile is 7.48?
And should it unthrottle downloads immediately? Because it hasn't :-
1. Best Effort Test:
Download  Speed
4.08 Mbps  [0 Mbps - 7.15 Mbps Max Achievable Speed]
Download speed achieved during the test was - 4.08 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 2 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 7.48 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:
Upload Speed
0.36 Mbps  [0 Mbps - 0.45 Mbps Max Achievable Speed]
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.36Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.45 Mbps
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

The profile is 7318 according to a diagnostic test I performed a few minutes ago. I can increase to 7400 to eek out the extra few kb if you want Smiley
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
mplusnetuser
Grafter

Yes, please Smiley
Why is your Profile test result lower than BT's (at  least as reported by their SpeedTester)?
And how soon should I expect the 4MB throttle to lift?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I'm not sure to be honest, however I've noticed that a few times already today. I've just nudged the profile again so that should have already taken effect.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
mplusnetuser
Grafter

Heading in the right direction now!
Plusnet: "Current line speed: 7.4 Mb"
BT: "IP Profile for your line is - 7.48 Mbps" and "Download speed achieved during the test was - 5.9 Mbps"
Hopefully all three figures will now automatically creep upwards as the re-training completes ...
Thanks again :).