Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stuck IP Profile?

wearyplodder
Grafter

Stuck IP Profile?

Hi,
About 4 weeks ago my download speed dropped from its usual around 6100 kbps to around 2100 and has stayed there ever since.  Getting tired of this I have been trying to do some research and would like some advice, please.
I have found out about BT Speedchecker and got the following results:
Download speed achieved during the test was - 1819 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 400-2000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :8128 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 2000 Kbps
So IP Profile looks like a problem.  I have changed all microfilters for brand new ones, and have a new 10 metre ADSL cable on order so that I can go right back to the master BT socket when it arrives.  However when I have had problems in the past the telephone line always sounds noisy and now it is as clear as a whistle.
What I found out is that a member of the family has been frequently disconnecting from the ISP to get a change of IP Address, and I am beginning to wonder whether this might be the root of the problem.  Could this be the case?
Also I have read about IP Profiles becoming "stuck"., with 2000 Kbps being a common sticking point.  How could I find out if this is the case?
Any advice greatly appreciated.  Thank you all.
John C
34 REPLIES 34
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Stuck IP Profile?

Does Current line speed on this Member Centre page also say 2 Mb per second?
How long is it since the connection rate (sync speed) was below 8128kbps? A BT speedtest gives that figure but you can also get it from your router - this page gives a full set of router stats if you have a TG585.
David
wearyplodder
Grafter

Hi,
The page you directed me to first gives -  Current line speed:    7.15 Mb
Regarding your second question I cannot see any more info on the BT Speedchecker results than what I posted, and I am struggling to find it on my router, which is a 3COM.  Can you give me any more directions, please.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

This page on the Kitz site explains how to get your line stats from the 3Com router.
wearyplodder
Grafter

Here is all the info from the ADSL Status page.  It doesn't mean too much to me though Embarrassed

Status
                    Configured         Current
Line Status           ---                     SHOWTIME
Link Type           ---                         Fast Path
Data Rate
Stream Type Actual Data Rate
Up Stream 448 (Kbps.)
Down Stream 8128 (Kbps.)
Operation Data
Operation Data Upstream Downstream
Noise Margin 25 dB 9 dB
Attenuation 25 dB 27 dB
Defect Indication
Indicator Name                                         Near End Indicator   Far End Indicator
Fast Path FEC Correction                         9                                   0
Interleaved Path FEC Correction         0                                   0
Fast Path CRC Error                              0                                   23
Interleaved Path CRC Error                 0                                   0
Loss of Signal Defect                         0                                   ---
Fast Path HEC Error                                 0                                   0
Interleaved Path HEC Error                 0                                   0
Statistics
Received Cells 4417940
Transmitted Cells 358338
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

It shows the downstream synch rate of 8128 matches the rate reported by the BT Speedtest. Something perhaps caused a low synch speed, dropping your IP profile to 2000. Now you are synched at 8128, your IP profile should go up to 7150, which would normally take just a few hours. If you have been stuck on this IP profile for 4 weeks or so as per your original post, your IP profile has "Stuck", and you will need to raise a slow speed fault at http://faults.plus.net.
wearyplodder
Grafter

Thanks a lot Jaggies.  I will see what is happening in the morning and refer it as you say if it has not improved by then.
Regards,  John C
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

It looks like there might be what is called a profile mismatch across BT systems - the run profile which is shown by the BT speedtester is probably stuck at 2000kbps whereas the profile reported to Plusnet is 7150kbps as it should be.
If you wait until the morning the Digital Care Team will probably do a line test to check this and perhaps try a line reset to resolve it.
David
David
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

@wearyplodder,
I've just tried running a line test to see if I can update your connection profile. However the test indicates that your router is either unplugged or switched off at the moment.
Let us know when it's powered up again and I'll run another check for you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
wearyplodder
Grafter

Thanks Adam,
Router is up and running now.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

According to the test I've just finished running, the connection profile on your account is in line with BT's at the moment.
BTW I'd advise against leaving the router powered off for extended periods of time as that can lead to the profile being lowered at BT's side.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
wearyplodder
Grafter

Hi,
I've just run BT Speedtester again and got similar results to yesterday
Download speedachieved during the test was - 1816 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 400-2000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :8128 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 2000 Kbps
and on MY Broadband Speed I achieved:
Date                           Download Speed           Upload Speed
Today 13:42                   2168 kbps (271kB/s)   378 kbps (47.3kB/s)
I switched the router off overnight having read this on Kitz.co.uk
          "If a profile is not correctly set then the default value of 2048/2000 is used. This may clear within 3 days and it may help if you say leave your router switched off overnight... but some lines just seem to get "stuck"."
Where should I go from here?

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Where should I go from here?

Well, leaving a router off overnight every night doesn't really work for every line, it doesn't seem to be having a negative impact in your case though.
I'd advise raising a fault with us, I can see you tried that on Saturday and the ticket was closed shortly afterwards.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
wearyplodder
Grafter

Yes, I started raising a fault, but then realised that I could not complete the self-tests first.
Am having a very busy afternoon, but will proceed with Fault when I get a chance.
Thanks again
John C
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for that, if you let us know once it's done we'll make sure to get things moving for you.