Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stuck BRAS Profile and lack of customer support

elementaltm
Rising Star

Stuck BRAS Profile and lack of customer support

@Plus.net Support,
Hi, last week my phone line went down (physical disconnection) BT  fixed the problem yesterday. I am now syncing back at approx 3,700kbps, the line is rock solid and I am confident the issue has been resolved.
My problem now is that my BRAS profile has been knocked down to 135 kbps rendering my connection unusable. I am a freelance web developer who currently cant get any work done or earn any money.
I know that the usual procedure is to wait 3 days to prove that any connectivity issues have been resolved and the BRAS should then reset itself.
If the BRAS is stuck you can then ISP's can request BT to force a reset. On a previous occasion technical support were very helpful and requested BT force a reset within the 3 day period.
I have spoken to 2 Plus.Net representatives this morning one in Tech Support and one in Faults who were very unhelpful bordering on jobs-worth and obviously reading a default response off a sheet of paper that I have to wait 3 days for the line to sort itself out. Which leaves me high and dry and very annoyed because I know you guys can/have (or certainly could) ask BT to reset BRAS profile within the period for exceptional circumstances.
In addition (I should probably post rants in another forum, but want to keep all info in same post) I can only assume the guys I spoke to are working out of an offshore call centre as they struggled to understand my English accent and I struggled to understand their heavy Indian accents. When will companies learn that offshore call centres create a very negative customer experience.  Angry
I would be very grateful if someone could deal with this issue sensibly/logically and provide me with some 'real' customer support.
Many thanks in advance, DM.
KABOOM!
11 REPLIES 11
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Stuck BRAS Profile and lack of customer support

Hi dirtymonkey,

To clarify what we can do here an SNR reset can be requested which will restart the 10 day line training period to recalculate the best speeds possible, this will also reset the line rate. Please bear in mind apart from waiting for 3 days this is our only other way to request such a change from BT. Sometimes when we do perform an SNR reset the line rate can change on the same day, however this is not guaranteed and you could be waiting up to 10 days. So it's up to you, if you want to risk it let us know and we can give it a try for you
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: dirtymonkey

I am a freelance web developer who currently cant get any work done or earn any money.

Hopefully websites you develop will be usable by people with low BB speed or dial-up  Grin Grin
elementaltm
Rising Star

Quote from: adamwalker
Hi dirtymonkey,

To clarify what we can do here an SNR reset can be requested which will restart the 10 day line training period to recalculate the best speeds possible, this will also reset the line rate. Please bear in mind apart from waiting for 3 days this is our only other way to request such a change from BT. Sometimes when we do perform an SNR reset the line rate can change on the same day, however this is not guaranteed and you could be waiting up to 10 days. So it's up to you, if you want to risk it let us know and we can give it a try for you

Thanks Adam, seems like doing nothing is the best option available... I have read somewhere that leaving the router unplugged overnight may reset the profile... is this true?
DM.
KABOOM!
elementaltm
Rising Star

Quote from: itsme

I am a freelance web developer who currently cant get any work done or earn any money.

Hopefully websites you develop will be usable by people with low BB speed or dial-up  Grin Grin

LOL, You'd be mad to host anything locally on broadband, web hosting is with a very expensive/fast hosting Co.  Roll_eyes
KABOOM!
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi again dirtymonkey,
No, leaving the router disconnected overnight will not lead to any improvement in the line rate. Please let us know if you don't see any improvement after the 72 hour period I mentioned.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
elementaltm
Rising Star

Will do, thanks again.
dick:quote
KABOOM!
sumitgood
Grafter

LOL, You'd be mad to host anything locally on broadband, web hosting is with a very expensive/fast hosting Co.  Roll_eyes

As a web developer myself I actualy understand what Itsme is refering to in his words, and believe he didn't mean hosting a site locally on your broadband connection, but was actualy proposing that if it is therefor currently impossible/can't get any work done or earn any money in your line of work at this low-rate speed, then he infact in a jokingly yet very knowledable suggestion that it would be 'hopeful' (since most sites are very bandwidth tearing) that the sites your even developing are actualy written in a bandwidth friendly manor to which anyone on low-end Broadband or Sluggish 56Kbps connections can actualy use the site, and do not require more high-end connections to click from page to page which is disgustingly slow in circumstances like these.
I remember when Microsofts homepage was written to load quite fast even on a poor old 56k modem like mine, infact you could say Google has always tried to maintain that kind of low-end spec when it comes to their search engine for example.
Following computers for many many years since the Atari 1986 (8mhz motorola cpu, and 256kb of memory) up to the state of the art we have today, one thing that makes the two different is that back in the old days it was about trying to make the most of what we had, and trying to make it efficient, fit within maximum and work, less can be said today about these blistering fast connections and computers and so forth when all we do is become less efficient in making it faster, and run better on the older technology that is still present today, and sometimes those annoying limitations like 'BRAS Profiles' hehe which get us all down (im on a 135 now but I'm positive about a 7150 soon enough).
Good luck dirtymonkey and yeah it does suck having a low profile for web developement, especialy when I actualy do most of my coding remotely, through a SSH terminal  try that on a 135 and you've got more headache than the old DOS console and trying to get FREEMEM.SYS turning hard drive data into memory just to run your favourite DOS game, at the age of 8 years old! 
PS. correct my spelling as you read a long, my firefox doesn't seem to correct my spelling here. (hehe)
itsme
Grafter

Yes sumitgood you understood my tongue in cheek comment. Unfortunately web sites are going the same as software/firmware the faster PC's got programs got more cumbersome and inefficient
sumitgood
Grafter

Yes sumitgood you understood my tongue in cheek comment. Unfortunately web sites are going the same as software/firmware the faster PC's got programs got more cumbersome and inefficient

Couldn't agree more!  Sorry for hijacking the thread.
HaydnExport
Grafter

Bt can be very random increasing the bras profile , i have had some major problems holding sync at any stable speed (touch wood i have finally nailed it lol).  I have seen the profile raise within a few hrs for a big hike  to 5 days for a small one , and vice versa !!
elementaltm
Rising Star

@sumitgood @itsme Agree with your sentiments entirely. @itsme sorry if I misread your  Tongue comment my reply was supposed to be cheeky not offensive.
Ah the 1980's... the good ole days.. I was positively spoilt with my BBC Model B, double floppy disk drive and a modem that used smoke signals to communicate with CompuServe. None of this newfangled InterWeb nonsense!
DM.
KABOOM!