cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stroud variable broadband speeds

Donut
Grafter

Re: Stroud variable broadband speeds

It would seem the usual tester I use - broadband speedtester - is still showing 3-4mb , but if I use speedtest.net or others they say I'm getting 10-11mb.
Which is the most relaible tester to use?
Donut
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Thinkbroadband is one of the more reliable ones, but the BT one has useful diagnostic purposes although it is giving borked speed results for some at the moment. I've already commented about speed results and what your then Current line speed was.
Sorry, I didn't spot you'd posted your router stats earlier, although another set would be useful. What's the Current Line speed at the member centre showing now?
You should be able to get better speeds but the current noise margin is the problem.
Donut
Grafter

Thanks for looking , could youtell me what it is you are looking at in these numbers please , I'm trying to understand.

Link Information

Uptime: 2 days, 11:37:51

DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A

Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,240 / 14,904

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 445 / 14,531

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 181.46 / 3.30

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 16.5

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 9.5 / 15.5

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 31.5 / 10.0

Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote): 0

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 486,816 / 0

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 3,843 / 2,085

HEC Errors (Up/Down): NA / 7,546
Donut
Grafter

plusnet current speed shows 4.2mb , but it always says that.
Donut
Grafter

Well just tried Thinkbroadband and it gave  11.7mb , so it seems the tester giving the poor results is th one I've always used - Broadband speed checker - which is why I'm confused.
As an anecdottal test for myself , I can watch a youtube vid in 1080HD without any problems whilst it downloads the contents. This is how I usually gauge my current speed , so itwould appear things are normalish?
donut
Anotherone
Champion

Hi again,
That 4.2Mb Plusnet Current Line speed needs fixing, it should match the Profile shown by the BT speedtester.
As far as streaming goes, if your download speed is better than 3500kbs, HD will be fine especially if you have plenty of processing power and not using your connection for anything else at the same time.
Try http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/diagnostics and see what you get.
Is the line stable now? You don't seem to have had any drops for 2½days.
OK, to the stats. Line attenuation Down 15.5dB - this means you are just a fraction over 1km from the exchange and should be capable of getting nearly top speed if your line is good enough. The reason BB speeds are quoted as "upto" (20Mb for 21CN, 8Mb for 20CN) is because the exact speed depends on how far you are from the exchange and how good your line, filters, equipment and internal wiring is.
If your line quality etc. is not so good and you have some drops due to noise pickup, the exchange DLM raises the Target SNR margin to try and stabilise the connection. This has the effect of lowering the sync speed (Bandwidth Down) downstream.
This seems to have happened on your line, I'd guess it's 9dB based on the stats you've posted. You will find the actual margin changing as noise levels change throughout the day and night, they are usually better in daytime.
Is you line overhead or underground?
Donut
Grafter

BBC figures rounded up/down are:
Download 12mb
Streaming :
1.    7mb
2.    7.5mb
3.    8mb
Donut
Anotherone
Champion

I find it amazing that all these speeds are faster than the PN Current Line speed, there is something buggy somewhere. I wonder if anyone else is getting similar faster than the Plusnet Current line speed results!
OK, I would still phone up to get that Current Line Speed kicked to match the BT profile from your latest test. With something buggy going on this could make all the difference.
Also, leave your modem/router on, don't reboot or resync, let's see how stable things are.
Anotherone
Champion

When you phone up make it quite clear it is your throughput speed that is the problem NOT your sync speed, and you want the Current Line speed set to match BT's profile. They should not try to ask you to go plugging into the test socket etc. If they do, ask for a supervisor.
Donut
Grafter

Thanks for all your help anotherone  Smiley
Just retested on my usual - Broadband speed checker - and it is back to the same as all the others , around 12 MB which has settle my mind a bit.
I'm wondering if that particular tester was running through a dodgy gateway ?
Anyway , thans again its much appreciated by a computer dummy like me.
Donut  Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I've adjusted our profile to match your BT IP profile. Smiley