Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Streaming from laptop to tv issue

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Re: Streaming from laptop to tv issue

OP could use a Wifi Analyser such as Inssider to see if it is WiFi reception is  degraded by connecting laptop to other devices.
http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/
Inssider should be able to show if WiFi noise level increases when connected t other devices.
Also worth trying streaming using an ethernet cable as suggested by P Richardson
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,109023.msg932525.html#msg932525
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Maybe Richard is thinking that the internal aerial in the laptop is not correctly isolated?  In which case doing something like connecting the VGA cable to the laptop and touching the connector at the other end against any large metal object like a radiator might have the same bad effect as connecting it to the TV.
crawfordrainow
Grafter

Hi,
Tried connecting audio to hifi, same result, even with hifi and all else disconnected from mains.
I don't know if it is relevant, but in the few seconds after connecting to outputs, before internet is dropped by the router, the screen goes black for a second, then reappears with a slightly different appearance, could this be something to do with a 'dual clone' or extended laptop factor?
I've downloaded inSSIDer, presumably the Spectrum Analysis tool is the one I need? Also when should I run it, before, whilst or after connecting to output, or all three?
Once again thanks for your patience.    Alex
crawfordrainow
Grafter

Hi,
Just a PS to last post;
You might wonder why I am so concerned about this issue, let me explain,
I cannot recieve sat tv because of trees
I cannot get anything but a single unreliable mux from terrestrial aerial tv as a large hill blocks the nearest transmitter, I get a feint signal from North Wales some 80 or so miles away and I am too far out ot town to get cable, fibre optic etc, so my best hope is to stream tv from my laptop.
So, it is quite a problem from my point of view, which you will now appreciate does'nt allow me to see very much!
                                                                                                                                                                                              Alex                                                                                                                                                                                         
RichardB
Seasoned Champion

Quote from: crawfordrainow
I don't know if it is relevant, but in the few seconds after connecting to outputs, before internet is dropped by the router, the screen goes black for a second, then reappears with a slightly different appearance, could this be something to do with a 'dual clone' or extended laptop factor?

Sorry, I am not sure what dual clone or extended laptop factor is.
Is the Wifi adaptor still present in the Windows control panel Device Manager after the screen goes black?
How do you normally recover the WiFi connection after it is lost?
I've downloaded inSSIDer, presumably the Spectrum Analysis tool is the one I need? Also when should I run it, before, whilst or after connecting to output, or all three?

I would compare your WiFi signal strength & the general noise floor before. during and after, connecting to another device.
Richard
crawfordrainow
Grafter

Hi and thanks,
1. dual clone and extended desk top are means of switching the display from solely on the laptop, to solely tv or both.  I have tried using various display options to see if it makes any difference but it doesn't.
2.  The screen blacks out just for a second or two then reappears looking slightly different font etc . The wifi icon on the taskbar(?at the bottom of the screen)  a few seconds later shows local connection only, ie lost internet
and the internet light goes off on the router. I will check on the device manager after posting this.
3. I then unplug output connection,  wait a minute or two for the light to come on steadily green and if necessary prompt the wifi to reconnect by running a windows diag on it.
I am sorry I do not know how to carry out your last suggestion using inSSIDer, or will the little bar graph that I get hovering over the wifi icon be an adequate measure given that it seems to be losing signal completely, (perhaps because the router has dropped connection.)
crawfordrainow
Grafter

Hi, Further info,
Yes a Realtek wifi adaptor is stll listed on device manager when connected to  outputs and signal lost.      Thanks  Alex
RichardB
Seasoned Champion

and the internet light goes off on the router.

Ah, the router disconnects from the internet. Maybe why the WiFi connection dies.
There have been reports on here of Thomson routers shutting down when receiving a command from some WifI clients. I cannot find a link at the moment.  I *think* the fix has been to turn off WiFi "N" mode in the router. I will search the forums again.....

3. I then unplug output connection,  wait a minute or two for the light to come on steadily green and if necessary prompt the wifi to reconnect by running a windows diag on it.

I guess that the router is "down" when this occurs then reconnects?
Richard
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Disabling WPS has also been mentioned before as well. I think it was in a thread about connecting a smart TV using a wireless dongle.
That's RPM to you!!
RichardB
Seasoned Champion

Hi
I cannot find the forum posts re Thomson routers being reset or crashed by WiFi clients but see
http://community.plus.net/library/hardware/fixing-wireless-compatibility-problems-with-the-thomson-5...
on how to stop the problem.
Richard
crawfordrainow
Grafter

Hi, just want to say thank you to you people for caring about my problem, just back from sharing  beers with an even older codger, will pursue any suggestions tomorrow...cheers Alex
crawfordrainow
Grafter

Hi again,
I've tried all the fixes below but no luck. I noticed that when trying to alter/switch off 802.11 N mode, it was not listed on the menu, only 802. 11 d      Could that be significant? 
                                                Thanks  Alex
RichardB
Seasoned Champion

Hi
What router are you using?
I had made the assumption that you were using a PlusNet supplied one.
Richard
crawfordrainow
Grafter

Hi Richard'
Yes it is a PN supplied TG585 v8.
                                                    Thanks 
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

That is odd
IEEE 802.11d-2001 is an amendment to the IEEE 802.11 specification that adds support for "additional regulatory domains". This support includes the addition of a country information element to beacons, probe requests, and probe responses. The country information elements simplifies the creation of 802.11 wireless access points and client devices that meet the different regulations enforced in various parts of the world. The amendment has been incorporated into the published IEEE 802.11-2007 standard.
and as it doesn't give options for 802.11g I suspect that the router or its firmware is a bit of a special
Of course I could be wrong  Shocked