cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange speed variations on new fibre connection.

krs360
Grafter

Strange speed variations on new fibre connection.

Hopefully someone could shed some light onto this for me?
I've recently had fibre installed - I run several linux machines at home which generally look like this in regard to throughput
Resolving download.thinkbroadband.com (download.thinkbroadband.com)... 80.249.99.148, 2a02:68:1:7::1
Connecting to download.thinkbroadband.com (download.thinkbroadband.com)|80.249.99.148|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 1073741824 (1.0G) [application/zip]
Saving to: `1GB.zip.1'
5% [==>                                                           ] 64,064,864  6.71M/s  eta 3m 32s

The same download via my Windows 7 machine returns speeds of about 1.7mb/s down. I've used three different NICS plus one USB>Ethernet NIC which all yield the same results. However the speedtest.net speedtest shows results of 70mbit down. I'm wondering what's going on? This is the same across three different browsers - I did make a post on the forum about this, some profile reset was done and then the speeds resumed to normal, only to drop off again today..
Machine is malware free, no firewall on it causing the issue.
I've changed the ethernet cable three times as as-well.

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Download Speed
73.2 Mbps

0 Mbps 77.43 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 73.2 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 16 Mbps-77.43 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 77.43 Mbps
2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.
Upload Speed
15.49 Mbps

0 Mbps 20 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 15.49Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.
If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance.
Using BTHH3 and the BTOR modem.
Cheers,
Ben.
5 REPLIES 5
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Strange speed variations on new fibre connection.

Hi krs360,
Just so I'm understanding this correctly, are you getting slower speeds when using Windows 7?
krs360
Grafter

Could be just from single threaded - as the per the other post?
Speed test are fine, HTTP downloads are 1/4 of the normal speed I can achieve. Upon using a download manager I can happy achieve the normal speed.. Origin and Steam don't seem effected by this. I'm a bit confused, this is repeatable across Firefox, Chrome and IE..
Fresh install of Windows 7 btw.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Is this the same wherever you try and download from, in terms of HTTP downloads?
krs360
Grafter

Chris, thanks for the reply.
Yes this is consistent across the board.
Multithreaded

Single?

Upload to my hosting provider

Speeds overall are really erratic at the moment, 72mbit one minute, 26 the next. I live 120m from the exchange roughly so the local loop is tiny.

I understand it's possible for the speeds to vary within the first ten days but it's almost like the dls are being restricted somewhere or there's some sort of profile issues.
Ben
russelc
Dabbler

Did you ever get a solution for this issue? I ask because a number of us are having the same issue as discused in this post; http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,120303.0.html