cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange e-mail problem

Be3G
Grafter

Strange e-mail problem

Ok, I know I'm always whinging about e-mail problems, but hear me out...
Last night I signed up to the forums at www.macrumors.com, and as part of that process, I had to wait for an e-mail in which I'd click a link to activate my account. Except the e-mail never came. 'Ok', I thought, 'maybe it's just got held up somewhere'... so I requested a re-send of the activation e-mail. That didn't turn up either. At which point I thought there were two possibilities: the e-mails were getting delayed somewhere, or they were being detected as spam and getting automatically binned as I've requested the spam checker to do. So I temporarily set the spam checker to just tag and move spam e-mails to a spam folder, then re-requested an activation e-mail... which, a few minutes later, arrived.
So far so good, right? Wrong, for two very important reasons: the e-mail that arrived was not marked as spam, and was delivered straight to my inbox. Furthermore, the first two e-mails still haven't arrived, over 12 hours after they were sent, which implies that they were deleted by the spam checker. Do you see what I'm getting at here? It looks as though the first two e-mails were deleted by PlusNet's spam system even though it didn't think they were spam.
Now, you could rightly say that it was just a coincidence... except for the fact that I've had exactly the same thing happen before with a site called mp3tunes.com. I went through the same procedure - tried to activate, e-mails never arrived, disabled spam deletion, re-requested activation e-mail and it arrived unmarked as spam... which I did just put down to being a coincidence. But seeing exactly the same thing happen a second time last night is suddenly making me very wary of PN's spam checker.
In case it helps, here're the headers of the third activation e-mail sent last night; that is, the one that actually turned up:
Subject: Action Required to Activate Membership for Mac Forums
Date: 19 September 2007 23:07:20 BDT
To:  me@me.co.uk
Envelope-To: me@me.co.uk
Delivery-Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 22:07:42 +0000
Received: by pih-sunmxcore12.plus.net with spam-scanned (PlusNet MXCore v2.00) id 1IY7ht-0004fz-CS  for me@me.co.uk; Wed, 19 Sep 2007 22:07:41 +0000
Received: from [64.62.176.240] (helo=web2.cultoa.com) by pih-sunmxcore12.plus.net with esmtp (PlusNet MXCore v2.00) id 1IY7hs-0004VP-KS  for me@me.co.uk; Wed, 19 Sep 2007 22:07:40 +0000
Received: from nobody by web2.cultoa.com with local (Exim 4.68) (envelope-from <nobody@web2.cultoa.com>) id 1IY7hY-0007NP-IP for me@me.co.uk; Wed, 19 Sep 2007 18:07:20 -0400
X-Daemon-Classification: INNOCENT
Auto-Submitted: auto-generated
Message-Id: <200709192220.db10b4320677@forums.macrumors.com>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
X-Priority: 3
X-Mailer: vBulletin Mail via PHP
X-Antiabuse: This header was added to track abuse, please include it with any abuse report
X-Antiabuse: Primary Hostname - web2.cultoa.com
X-Antiabuse: Original Domain - me.co.uk
X-Antiabuse: Originator/Caller UID/GID - [99 99] / [47 12]
X-Antiabuse: Sender Address Domain - web2.cultoa.com
X-Pn-Virusfiltered: by PlusNet MXCore (v4.00)
X-Dspam-Result: Innocent
X-Dspam-Processed: Wed Sep 19 23:07:41 2007
X-Dspam-Confidence: 0.8497
X-Dspam-Improbability: 1 in 566 chance of being spam
X-Dspam-Probability: 0.0000
X-Dspam-Factors: 27, registration+Please, 0.00084, registering, 0.00290, Subject*Action, 0.00362, work+please, 0.00397, Url*//forums, 0.00572, Url*//forums, 0.00572, X-Mailer*vBulletin+Mail, 0.01000, URL+Not, 0.01000, and+activation, 0.01000, url+does, 0.01000, registering+at, 0.01000, extra+spaces, 0.01000, X-Mailer*vBulletin, 0.01000, X-Mailer*via+PHP, 0.01000, From*"Mac, 0.99000, X-Mailer*Mail+via, 0.01000, Auto-Submitted*auto+generated, 0.01345, Auto-Submitted*generated, 0.01345, Date*Wed+19, 0.01388, Auto-Submitted*auto, 0.01561, ID+is, 0.01879, please+contact, 0.01934, username+and, 0.02187, registration, 0.02331, registration, 0.02331, for+registering, 0.02418, your+registration, 0.02630

I know this is all pretty vague, and that if there is a problem, it's probably going to be nigh on impossible to track down... but having seen this happen twice now, I'm definitely suspicious that something's not right. Does anyone from PlusNet have any ideas about why this might be happening?
Thanks,
Thomas
9 REPLIES 9
itsme
Grafter

Re: Strange e-mail problem

Probably related to this problem
Be3G
Grafter

Maybe, though I wouldn't have thought so... this problem happened last night, before the work was carried out on the mx.cores; furthermore, it still wouldn't explain why the e-mail I received wasn't marked/treated as spam, if the first two were believed to be spam.
mikeb
Rising Star

Quote from: itsme
Probably related to this problem

DEFINITELY related to the recent(ish) changes but not necessarily to that particular aspect of them. The sending IP [64.62.176.240] quoted in the message above does not appear to have an rDNS entry.  However, the reason I believe that you eventually received it is because the checking for rDNS and rejecting on a lack of is apparently unreliable and inconsistent IMHO.  If the process actually worked 100% as intended then I doubt you would ever have received the message from the info I can see no matter how many times it was re-sent.  I have no idea since when rDNS was being checked by PN but have so far been completely unable to elicit any form of response from PN on the subject.  I do not recall seeing any announcement of the introduction of this process (only the recent 'improvemnts') nor can I find any 'help' information concerning exactly what mandatory filtering is done on receipt or what conditions must be satisfied in order to ensure satisfactory delivery.
I have a growing number of messages logged that clearly DO NOT have rDNS entries but were still accepted by PN. Ditto for compromised dynamic addresses of course as that probably accounts for >99% of all my spam.  I have always (since 13th May this year) had no shortage of spam messages without rDNS entries in particular despite various comments from PN that rejection on lack of rDNS has been in force for some time now.  The recent changes are apparently 'improvements' to the process but there actually appears to have been a distinct INCREASE in spam received without a valid rDNS entry over the last few days compared to over the last few weeks.
In addition to this, I also appear to have been losing some 100% totally valid and 100% non-spam messages yet again Sad  I have no idea if they have been officially bounced, rejected or simply dumped but either way they certainly didn't arrive.  There is absolutely no evidence that messages from the sources concerned are in any way spam, are in any way black-listed or are in any way without rDNS entries etc. and in all cases have been received by other Service Providers.  In addition to that, I would be hard pushed to document problems with ANY random missing or lost messages over the last 10 years I have been with PN ... until very recently when they started mandatory filtering on receipt.
So, in summary, plenty of spam without rDNS entries and/or directly from dynamic IPs despite the 'improvements' and various totally genuine messages apparently deleted/rejected/whatevered for absolutely no good reason whatsoever Sad  And NO, Mr.PN, it's not likely to be co-incidence. Several different sources of messages didn't just happen have some problems that just so happened to result in my messages not being received, the common denominator is almost without doubt PN but, as I'm quite sure you're well aware, virtually unprovable so you get away with it again !
BTW, Be3G, you're by no means the only one whining about e-mail problems on a regular basis - I seem to be doing much the same - probably because they seem to keep on happening of course !!  No significant (if any) random problems over the best part of 10 years but now we're apparently paying for that by having plenty of late Sad
PS: why doesn't 'quick edit' seem to work properly ?

B T Plusnet, a bit kinda like P T Barnum ...

... but quite often appears to feature more clowns Tongue
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Quote from: mikeb
PS: why doesn't 'quick edit' seem to work properly ?

If you are using FF that's a known bug.  If only the rest of your post didn't relate to such a small inconvenience.
David
Be3G
Grafter

Hmm, thanks for your detailed thoughts mikeb. I admit that I'm not entirely convinced, because twice now this has happened and the e-mails have only started arriving after disabling the spam filter, which implies (although admittedly doesn't guarantee) that the spam filter's got something to do with this (whereas, as far as I'm aware, all the DNS-based blocking happens regardless of the spam filter setting). I also note in the headers 'X-Antiabuse: Sender Address Domain - web2.cultoa.com', which implies that the sender does have an rDNS after all - although correct me if I'm wrong; I'm not an expert at reading mail headers. Still, the possibility you detail is a good one; I might try and test things further at some point when I've got some time... I would however be interested to hear PlusNet comment on the matter in the meantime.
mikeb
Rising Star

You may well be right about some cross-connection with the DSPAM settings, who knows, but I don't and never have had the optional spam filtering enabled.  I simply don't trust PN to decide what mail I can and what mail I cannot read - and have many good/proven reasons to totally support that decision !
I think that you're right in saying that rDNS checking is apparently mandatory at MX level and therefore shouldn't be affected by optional filtering settings.  However, based on the apparent unreliability of the rDNS filtering, I would suggest that it was most likely pure co-incidence that you received the message after tweaking the settings.  I guess that regardless of settings you probably stand a 1 in 'n' chance of receiving a message with no rDNS entry - some (maybe most) messages will be deleted/rejected but some will get through.  I've no idea how big 'n' is or whether one or more individual servers aren't working properly or if it's just a random bug across the board.  You could perhaps try restoring your original settings and requesting the offending message be re-sent again several times to see how many do turn up if that's possible.
The reason I suggested there was no rDNS entry (regardless of what may be in the message headers) is simply because when I did a look-up on the IP using my usual handy application it repeatedly came back with an error message "no data".
A quicky check with the authoritative server confirms this:
ns2.he.net. (an authoritative nameserver for 176.62.64.in-addr.arpa.,
which is in charge of the reverse DNS for 64.62.176.240)
says that there are no PTR records for 64.62.176.240.

So the simple fact is that if/when the rDNS checking process is working 100% as intended, you will NEVER receive messages from this particular source ... and no doubt many others.  PN is now on par with AOL and hotmail in deleting/rejecting mail willy-nilly without informing users about it, blaming someone else for any problems it causes users and expecting individual users to sort out any problems with a specific sender themselves Sad But this is only remotely possible to resolve in any case if they actually do realise that they're losing mail in the first place of course !  Yes, the sender is blatantly in the wrong here (non-compliant with RFC1912) but an individual  PN user has about as much chance of getting that sorted as they do getting PN not to delete/reject their genuine mail in the first place.  Just imagine how much more fun this is going to be if/when they start deleting/rejecting messages apparently from dodgy dynamic IPs  Roll_eyes
Thanks spraxyt for confirming it wasn't just me and/or finger trouble re 'quick edit' and I promise to read the other forums before posting next time  Wink  RTFMF and all that  Grin

B T Plusnet, a bit kinda like P T Barnum ...

... but quite often appears to feature more clowns Tongue
edgemedia

Mine's a more general problem, I'm afraid. No incoming email at all from the PlusNet server for about 24 hours now. Outgoing seems to be fine and I'm receiving email on another POP3 account (and my hotmail account, of course), but from PlusNet - zilch. More than a little annoying for me and inconvenient. Having once been v reliable, this is the second time there have been major email problems with PlusNet in two months, yet at the moment, the two-day-old Service Status message just says: "...very little incoming email is being delayed on our delivery servers, and where this is happening the mail is only being delayed for short periods of time" Call me suspicious, but this sounds more like propaganda than genuine information. Thoughts anyone?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Hi edgemedia, the info in the service status was accurate at the time of writing. This morning we've had a couple of examples of mail that got stuck on the delivery servers for an hour or two at most. We're looking into the possibility that there's something wrong with one of the modified spam process scripts but it's not happening across the board.
Regarding your issues Thomas, I'll spend some time over lunch absorbing the info before offering my opinion.
edgemedia, what mailbox on your account are you having problems with?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Be3G
Grafter

Quote from: Bob
Regarding your issues Thomas, I'll spend some time over lunch absorbing the info before offering my opinion.

Any thoughts then Bob?