cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange ? connection and speed behaviour

Roberto0151
Grafter

Strange ? connection and speed behaviour

I'm at the end of a long line and accept that speeds are not going to be up to much, but during the last 5 or 6 months things have been going oddly.  At the beginning of June my d/l speed nosedived to <0.5 Mbps and after a lot of faffing about the connection was reset and reached 2.0 for a few days before falling to a more expectable +/- 1.5.  At the end of july I needed to disconnect the router for a few minutes and the d/l speed fell to abt. 1.3 where it stayed till the end of September or early October when it went to abt. 1.1 where it stayed until 24/10.
During all this time, except when I disconnected the router and a couple of disconnects in the early hours  when BT may have been carrying out work in this area, the connection was extremely stable as can presumably be seen in the PN systems.
Then on 24/10 it suddenly dropped, ending up on 28/10 at 0.19 Mbps.  On this occasion the PN phone tech people  quickly agreed to reset and it moved to 1.3  or1.2 until today when I needed to unplug the router for a minute or two to move some furniture. The d/l speed then dropped to around 0.7 \Mbps.
My present router stats show  Bandwidth Down 885
                                                  Attenuation          66.5
                                                  SN margin down  19.0
Apart from hoping that some kind soul might be persuaded to again reset the connection, I wonder whether someone could suggest why the BT system should drop the connection speed when the line has been steady for periods up to a month, then has one short disconnect.
Please note this is NOT a complaint - just a search for understanding  Smiley 
P.S. The data above are based on details on TBB and on my possibly less than perfect memory and so are definitely E.& O.E.
6 REPLIES 6
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Strange ? connection and speed behaviour

Hi there,
I've just put another SNR reset for you so hopefully that brings the profile back up again ASAP.
I wonder whether someone could suggest why the BT system should drop the connection speed when the line has been steady for periods up to a month

I could only assume something might have caused the sync speed to drop down when that happened.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Roberto0151
Grafter

Thanks Adam, we seem to be back to around 1.2 Mbps now.
As to "something might have caused the sync speed to drop down when that happened." I was hoping to be able to identify what it was, in case it was something I might be able to avoid in future. Smiley
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

SNRM of 19dB is awfully high.  Does this point to some issue with the phone line?
Kitz suggests that a 66.5dB attenuation should deliver 1.7Mbs at 6dB.  Is there room for further improvement here?  It also suggests the line length is 4.8km.

Roberto,
Is your router in the master socket? Do you have extension wiring?  Do you know how far you are from the exchange?  With a little bit of effort, you might find that some minor alterations within your home might deliver a better synch speed.  Take a look at the line speed fault finder thread at the top of this forum.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Roberto0151
Grafter

Since the reset this morning the SNR is 6.5 which I guess is OK.
The wiring set up was O.K'ed by the Openreach engineer who visited a while back and the distance from the exchange is 3 miles or so. Also we are 1.25 miles from the cabinet - just to ensure there is plenty of room for things to go wrong.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

3 miles is 4.8km on the nail, so attenuation looks right.
You'll need to watch the SNRM and synch speeds.  If you get night time disconnections, you might find that having reconnected at a slower speed, during the day, you will see an elevated SNRM.  If this reoccurs, then there is the possibility that your line s picking up noise.
Just now though keep a watch as the line goes through its 10 day training period.
1.25 miles from the cab - sounds like you are in a rural area?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Roberto0151
Grafter

Thanks Townman for the advice.
Yes this area is more or less rural, just at the extreme end of a suburban exchange.