cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange broadband 'interruptions' - Anybody else having similar issues?

Zico
Grafter

Re: Strange broadband 'interruptions' - Anybody else having similar issues?

Evening Chris,
Thank you for the update.
I will keep tabs on things and hopefully see what happens on Wednesday.
Zico
Grafter

Mini update. Nothing appeared to happen on Thursday evening but Friday evening was the usual.
Zico
Grafter

Openreach engineer came earlier this afternoon as planned.
He had a look at the line with his handheld device and couldn't see anything that was an issue (~290m in length back to cab). The engineer then disconnected the NTE that had been in use and re-connected a second NTE from an old second line (no internal wiring – just needed to be re-connected back at the cab). After switching over the pairs on the line he came back and tested the line again, made a few calls to the main office and had the line reset back to 80/20 and everything looked ok.
After connecting everything back up and making sure the router was connected and online he packed up to go.
I ran a BT Speedtest about 5 minutes after and got the 49.43 down (ip 77.44) and 12.37 up (20 ip) - screenshot attached.
After a while longer (and after the engineer had left) I have the damn spikes back again AND possible disconnections Cry - TBB screenshot attached.
A second BT Speedtest is still giving me similar figures of 49.19 down and 13.82 up (same ip profiles).
I really don't know what to say now. I have no idea what is causing the issues Cry
Zico
Grafter

Whoopee!!
Things are definitely worse than before. A little bit more obvious to see as well.
My mum said that the line was very noisy and crackled a lot during several phone calls this morning (didn't have this before).
I think that when the engineer swapped the pair over in the drop wire, the latest pair is worse than before. The drop wire only serves our house back to the main road (~110m’s) before it crossing over the road and, I think, goes into a duct beneath the footway back to the PCP/FTTC a further ~180m’s up the road.
Kelly / Chris, I think a further engineer visit may be at hand. Not sure on the noisy/crackled line I have tried the Quiet Line test and all is clear at the moment (then again there are no spikes in the TBB monitor either so things may be ‘ok’ for now).
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

I've had a look at your line and appears to be more stable then it has been for sometime, only for the past 12 hours though.
I've flagged this up with our faults team to have a look at and we'll go from there.
Zico
Grafter

Afternoon Chris.
To give you a bit more info, the Openreach Engineer re-connected the 2nd NTE up using the same cable pair back to the PCP on which I had SKY voice and ADSL several years ago.
I had an issue with the line dropping voice calls (noise + breaking up) or no dial tone at all for hours at a time. At the same time the DSL would also drop/disconnect for hours at a time. This went on for 3 months before I cancelled the service with Sky as they just couldn't be bothered to help (that and we had our BT line and WiMax ISP connection).
I'm guessing now that whatever the fault was with the SKY line has become worse and my BT line is also damaged (plus any additional pairs in the same drop wire) as Openreach never resolved the initial fault (not that I blame them as SKY wouldn't book an engineer appointment for them any more).
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

If there's noise on the line that does seem likely and would probably be worth raising as a phone fault (that's if our faults team agree that the broadband fault investigations are pretty much exhausted anyway). Let us know if you'd like to go ahead with that, more than happy to put it to them that we raise one for you if you wish?
Zico
Grafter

Good evening Matt,
I've responded to Daniel in my ticket (#64253251).
I personally haven't experienced the noisy line yet. It appears that this is just as intermittent as the broadband issues.
I can only go on what I have been told by my mum since she experienced the issues the day after the engineer visit with a very noisy line and the dropped calls.
I've ran Quiet Line tests at different times when I've been at home and at worse there is a low background noise with the odd crackle.
The issues I experienced with Sky (on the same physical drop wire/pair) were much more prevalent but again intermittent.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It's very likely that the noise is what's causing the broadband to drop, which is why I mention it - though intermittent issues are tricky to catch. If you're still seeing drops when there is no noise on the line though then it may not be, so I guess let us know what happens and we'll keep at it either way.
Zico
Grafter

Good evening Matt,
I received the replacement Router yesterday and connected it up at around 23:00 last night.
This morning (~7:20am) I noticed that the DSL light on the Openreach Modem was out. I picked up the phone and could hear crackling. I ran a Quiet Line test and within 15 seconds the line disconnected and the dial tone came back on.
I called home from work and my mum said that the line had been very bad all morning and had dropped calls multiple times.
I called through to Support at about 10:30 this morning to update the notes for my ticket (can't remember the name of the man I spoke to).
Screenshot attached of the TBB monitor for today. The worst looking graph so far :(.
Does anybody know how much ~280m of copper phone cable would cost?
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

wow.  Definite fault.  Why did we send you get a new router?  That was unnecessary if you'd previously heard noise on the line.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Zico
Grafter

Evening Kelly,
I received an update from the ticket a few days ago informing me of the new router being sent out. I thought that this decision had been made to rule out my existing router before further Openreach Engineer visits were booked.
Anyway I've been on the router since 11pm on the 5th so it pretty much rules that variable out of the equation.
I returned the original router this morning via the pre-paid bag. It's in near mint condition so could be re-cycled by PlusNet as it would appear to work.
As for today, it appears that nothing has happened with the line. The weather has been sunny and still (no wind to blow/sway the drop wire un-like the last few weeks).
Zico
Grafter

Friday evening update.
TBB monitor has had an uneventful day. No spikes at all this time (no windy weather again today).
I haven't ran a speed test in a long while so I ran both the BT Wholesale Test and Speedtest.net and got the follow speeds:
1) BTW: 21.22Mbps Down (IP Profile 37.56Mbps) and 8.74Mbps Up (IP Profile 20Mbps).
2) Speedtest.net - 21.00Mbps Down and 5.98Mbps Up.

That's a massive drop of 50Mbps from the 73Mbps estimate and 78Mbps first few weeks connected.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there,
Sorry if we're sounding like a stuck record about this but is there still noise on the line?
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Zico
Grafter

Evening Adam,
I've not noticed much noise or crackling with the line in the last few days. Unfortunately I don't often get back home until after 19:30pm so I don't have much first had experience of the issues that have happened during the day.
The line did cut off a few times late last week when my mum/dad were talking on the phone.
Either way, the line still appears to be dropping the broadband signal.