cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Still on 20CN?

cavewood

Still on 20CN?

New to this forum facility, but thought I would post this info for general use. The background is that both my neighbour (we live in adjoining houses), receive our broadband from PlusNet. I discovered quite by accident, via a casual chat with him that he gets 14.9Mbps and I get only 6.02Mbps. (Much faster than some I know) As we both are supplied from the same exchange, cabinet, and overhead poles, I wondered why the huge difference in speed. My son-in-law works for Santander in the IT department so I asked him what he thought. He went onto the following BT web site http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ and we discovered why this was the case. Apparently, one can get up to 21 Mbps but the ADSL facility one is plugged into is the all important factor.
I am on ADSL plus which delivers up to 8 Mbps yet my neighbour on ADSL 2 Plus which provides the much faster speed. My neighbour has not requested this increased speed from PlusNet and as far as I know he is not paying any extra for it so why are we all not told about what is readily available? The answer must be that our providers are all waiting for High Speed Fibre, and do not want any of us to get a current system speed which we may be more than happy with and therefore won't need fibre. What a surprise.
Do check what you can get at your local exchange and cabinet by using the BT checker, it is:- http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ Just fill in your telephone number and up comes a range of options currently available now.
Hope this is of some use and of interest to you all.
4 REPLIES 4
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: How to get max speed?

Hi cavewood.
Welcome to the forum.
Quite a few of us know about the DSL Checker and frequently get people to use it.
However it's most unusual for people to remain connected on 20CN (ADSL only) when 21CN (ADSL2/2+) is available. People are usually moved over in groups at a time when an exchange is upgraded. If your exchange has only recently been upgraded, this might explain why your neighbour is on it but your appear not to be. BUT, I'm wondering if you are actually on 21CN but your line has been provisioned as ADSL1 (the equivalent of old ADSL) possibly because of historic poor speeds due to line problems maybe.
If you can run the BTw Performance test (DON'T REBOOT, ignore the red preamble except make sure no other programs are using the Internet) and at the end of the first run, click the Further Diagnostics button, enter just your Phone number and Run the Further Diagnostics Test.
Do a Copy and Paste of the full results and post here (no need to grab an image).
Also if you can post the full DSL stats from your modem/router, if you are using one of the Plusnet ones, there are links in my sig to the stats pages (via login).
I'm going to ask a mod to move your post and my reply to their own thread (perhaps with the title - "Still on 20CN?") so as not to confuse Steevo's thread, especially as your issue sounds like it needs detailed support.
Edit: Can you also post your Current Line speed (Login required) but not your phone number.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: 20CN?

Mod Note
Posts split to their own topic for clarity.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Still on 20CN?

You are correct that your line is currently on 20CN, I'll go sort out an order to move you to 21CN (ADSL2+) and reply to the fault ticket you've raised.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Still on 20CN?

Thanks Chris.