cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Still i have rubbish speeds :(

mrchalk
Grafter

Still i have rubbish speeds :(

Hi all, would someone be as kind to look into why my speed keeps dropping. This has been going on for a while now. See here:
http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=57746
I have my router plugged into the main socket by itself. No splitter box thingy, just directly into the wall. The router can't hold the sync speed for ****.  This enquiry is a week or 2 old. its not the exchange as my next  door neighbours speed is fine. My speed has been fine for at least the last year since i was maxed.
Also, i enquired last week why i had been charged for an extra 2gb of data when it was the first day of new month.  See here:
http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=57921
I was told this was being looked into by Dave, but i havent heard anything back yet. Cheers guys Smiley
17 REPLIES 17
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Still i have rubbish speeds :(

I'll go do a quick test on your line so I can see the sync speed at the moment.
Doesn't look like you were actually charged for the extra usage, and there isn't an extra amount on this months either. This is due to the times the billing script runs, you will have gone over your usage from the previous month on the morning of your billing. This is then reset and you aren't charged.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend

Looking at your line stats, you appear to have a reasonably long line which shows in the attentuation of 50. The sync speed at the moment is 3424 which means you will only be getting an IP profile of around 2500 unless this improves. Have a read through this blog to see the nuances of MaxDSL.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
mrchalk
Grafter

Thanks Chris Smiley
Im just wondering, why now? Why after so long has my sync speed been up and down like a yo-yo?
It sits at 1500, then is steady & after a few days goes to 2500, then drops, then gores to 3500, then drops, then goes to 2500, then drops...
annoying! The person next door to me is having no issues at the moment at all (talktalk) so im just wondering after a year of no problems, why has this started now? Any ideas would be great m8. Thank you Smiley
Chris
Legend

Any new devices added to your telephone circuit? Fax machines/Sky boxes etc?
Have you tried using a different filter?
mrchalk
Grafter

Chris, i did have the router on an extension lead & nothing else in the socket. This worked well for months with no problems.(Router was previously connected to the master socket but moved to accommodate xbox 360 upstairs)
All of a sudden it started dropping sync, unstable speeds etc etc.
So on Thursday past, i removed the extension lead, plugged the router directly to the master socket (nothin else attached this time, nor before) and the bt speed tester went to 3500 from 1500 or 2500 (cant remember). So i thought that must have been the problem, even though it had worked for months on the extension lead with no problems (which i found wierd).
Anyway, i see my speed has dropped again & im not getting the speeds i used to get previous to all this. What do you think m8?
James
Grafter

Hi there,
Looking at the reports that we get from BT, it's been set to 2500Kbps since 04/08/2007 15:36:26.  Dropped to that speed from the previous 3500 experienced on the 3rd.
I'd recommend keeping an eye on your synchronisation speeds over the next couple of days and see if you notice much in the way of fluctuations.
mrchalk
Grafter

Cheers James. I must have plugged the router direct to the master socket on the 3rd then when it went up to 3500. Will keep an eye.  Smiley
mrchalk
Grafter

Hi all, i really need this looked into properly now.
Speeds still rubbish, up and down like a yo yo on grabit graph.
Chatting to a chap from BT who was outside my house the other day. He was down the man hole thingy where the BT lines are. I asked him was the reson he was down the hole anything to do with why my broadband was  ****** & was a nightmare. He asked which house was i in, i told him & he said no, that my line "looked" ok.
Anyway, this has been going on long enough now (over a month) & ive even changed the router from my linksys to a netgear. Was seeing a strange noise margin on the router yesterday, it read something like 21409876834 instead of the usual 10/12. Anyway, i reset the router & its grand now (back to 10)
Like i say after over a year of hassle free broadband (thumbs up Plusnet) its suddenly all started to go horribly wrong.
Cheers for reading guys, what is the next step?
paulh
Rising Star

that silly noise margin means that the router is trying to report  a negative SNR  figure ... how that happens I can;t help with
James
Grafter

Think that's an issue with the Netgear Routers.  Just a quirk.
mrchalk
Grafter

Cheers for the replies. This is the 2nd router im on, so i need something done now as theyre is a fault somewhere. My neighbours speed is fine. So, what next, can someone raise a fault with BT please?
Cheers guys Wink
James
Grafter

Sure, would you mind going to http://faults.plus.net and filling in the fault checker first for me please?
mrchalk
Grafter

Cheers james, checker completed  Smiley
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

The netgear is known for reporting large SNR figures and indicates it has gone below 0 (-ve).
Make sure you have the latest firmware as some of the 3.01.X versions had problems will detecting the correct SNR and thought it had reduced, thus forcing a resync, when in fact it hadn't. for the dg834v1 & v2 the latest is 3.01.31 I think, the v3 has diferent hardware and thus different firmware revisions.